Cold war time peroid of EMS/ Civil Defense days

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
With the recent, rise in North Koreas crazy activitys. Has any of your districts trained or planned for such an event? Here it is generaly excepted there is nothing that could be done, so nothing has changed. All this said, is there any Medics who worked during the Cold War, How did you feel. What was the plan in place if said War turned hot? Where you to respond and help or was it a more of a you're on your own siutation?Moving Forward; I am aware that such a thing as a civil defense squads existed that would likley be an auxillary to regular EMS and Fire. Was anyone on such a squad?

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
With the recent, rise in North Koreas crazy activitys. Has any of your districts trained or planned for such an event? Here it is generaly excepted there is nothing that could be done, so nothing has changed. All this said, is there any Medics who worked during the Cold War, How did you feel. What was the plan in place if said War turned hot? Where you to respond and help or was it a more of a you're on your own siutation?Moving Forward; I am aware that such a thing as a civil defense squads existed that would likley be an auxillary to regular EMS and Fire. Was anyone on such a squad?
I'm relying on the military to respond.
I expect the national guard will have something to do with it.

Beyond that, follow your established MCI and HazMat policies. They exist for a reason.

As far as auxillaries, I think most of the country has a hard enough time with regular staffing.
Some over saturated areas do have some things. California has CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) and MRC (Medical Reserve Corps). The scope of both vary based on the area and administrating body. Both organizations are mostly extra bodies with some basic disaster training in addition to whatever their full time trade is.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Chaos

For scale, for a single detonation of a smaller (all things are relative) fission device, say a 5 kiloton groundburst in DC, you can expect 30-50K dead and 50-100K injured, and probably displaced/homeless/refugees on the scale of Hurricane Katrina due to dehousing and fallout. It would be the worst disaster in US history. The national medical system will be completely overwhelmed. Triage will be necessary on an long term basis. How many open hospital beds are there in the US? How many burn unit beds? Who has experience managing radiological casualties and Combined Injury Syndrome?

On a good day there might be 250K open beds spread across the whole US, but not all staffed and mostly not trauma/burn beds. And getting patients to these beds?

Now what about a couple airburst 250 kiloton thermonukes at once? Think 10 million casualties...

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Last edited: