Co workers trying to get me fired

EMTT760

Forum Probie
Hi everyone,

I currently work for a IFT company. I'm a relatively new EMT at this company. Very recently a co-worker whom I worked with during a shift told the supervisors and operations managers that I " almost dropped a patient" during a call at a hospital. The said incident is accused to have happened a month ago, which is recently being brought to my attention now by the operations manager.

I told my boss if it was such a pressing issue "why the delay in discussing the matter with me? ". I asked what evidence they had of the event? My boss responded " don't be surprised if supervisors are watching you ".

They haven't pulled me from any shifts. Infact, I've been working without incident and getting alot of hours. So it comes as a shock to me.

Another co-worker is spreading malicious rumors concerning the event also. Needless to say I'm being very cautious now. I'm trying to stick it out and do my job.

Question is should I look for work elsewhere or just keep at this job despite all this?

Last edited:

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
e22d0524495d9fc02ac7aa17c01e5af9.jpg

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sounds like you found one of the very few places where coworkers talk behind your back. Definitely find a new place of employment. The odds of you ending up at another job with coworkers that gossip and talk crap is almost nonexistent. I've never personally seen such malice.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Sounds like you found one of the very few places where coworkers talk behind your back. Definitely find a new place of employment. The odds of you ending up at another job with coworkers that gossip and talk crap is almost nonexistent. I've never personally seen such malice.
^^

troll..

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
ffeddeb9ead6761a2cd568ce8ee2b2a1.jpg

OP
OP
E

EMTT760

Forum Probie
What do you want me to say? You act like this is your first job, and blatantly disrespected your boss. Grow up and drop the drama.

Grow up? I came here for some advice. Coming from a military background, we deal with things differently. Maybe if that is the norm in EMS culture, I need to adjust.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd try Medi Star Ambu Care Life Rescue Ambulance in Glendale, haven't heard anything bad about them yet. And tell your boss he can shove it, you went to EMT school, you got this **** handled.
Yes you need to adjust, that is the norm.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
Grow up? I came here for some advice. Coming from a military background, we deal with things differently. Maybe if that is the norm in EMS culture, I need to adjust.

Talking back to your boss is military standard?

OP
OP
E

EMTT760

Forum Probie
What I meant by that comment is in the military. If there's a issue a SGT,SSGT,1SG would pull said soldier aside ( or both) and try to fix the issue ASAP and would not tolerate rumors running rampant to smear someone. Not a passive approach like in this instance.

I wasn't talking back. I was simply trying to ascertain seriousness of the compliant lodged against me.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback. Believe me I hate drama, but this is my first EMS job.

Last edited:

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
What I meant by that comment is in the military. If there's a issue a SGT,SSGT,1SG would pull said soldier aside and try to fix the issue ASAP and would not tolerate rumors running rampant to smear someone. Not a passive approach used by civilians.

I wasn't talking back. I was simply trying to ascertain seriousness of the compliant lodged against me.

Anyways, I appreciate the feed back. Believe me I hate drama, but this is my first EMS job.
Everywhere you go there will be rumors, someone smearing something on someone (read: code 3 club), and it's not company specific. Me, I'd try and work around it and if it was bothering me that much, look for work elsewhere with no real sense of urgency.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
What I meant by that comment is in the military. If there's a issue a SGT,SSGT,1SG would pull said soldier aside ( or both) and try to fix the issue ASAP and would not tolerate rumors running rampant to smear someone. Not a passive approach like in this instance.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback. Believe me I hate drama, but this is my first EMS job.

Always going to be drama. I think private systems are probably the worst, simply due to the young/new/immature people they tend to bring on. You'll still deal with some BS, but try applying for some county systems.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
You seem very defensive on the topic brought up. Did this incident actually occur? Isn't it a supervisors role to investigate complaints and ensure that employees are competent?

Rick Tresnak

Forum Crew Member
Just keep your nose clean. Cover your six as much as possible. It's not the military. Let your patient care record do the talking. Be the happy guy in the department.

It's always hard to fire the happy guy.

It's your first job get the experience and get the happy guy reputation and if it continues after that move on

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
So...did you nearly drop someone?
Because if there is any truth to that, then they aren't "out to get you" and necessarily trying to get you fired.

I've told supervisors plenty of times about some new person screwing up (when it is endangering the patient or myself). It isn't malice if it is true and needs to be addressed.
The only thing troubling here is that it took your manager a month to bring it to your attention.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Yes, this is the norm in EMS culture. For whatever reason, a co-worker decides that they don't like you. It could be that their regular partner was moved to a different shift, and you're their replacement. Perhaps they have a poor work ethic and you outperform them. Maybe two people do things too differently and one gets offended because they aren't controlling everything. Otherwise, there could actually be performance issues on your part.

Although your partner should talk to you first, the norm is to go to a supervisor early and often, to get the paper trail started to eventually get you removed.

You're in IFT. It's always going to be shady and "clicky." It's also a joke throw-away job (stepping stone if you prefer), especially for BLS, so I wouldn't sweat things too much. I would try to get a per-diem position in another company with the intention to go full time when available, and then drop to per diem at job #1. If things go sour at job #1, just leave them off of your work history on any future resume. When applying to the second job, just ask for PT or per diem, so that it doesn't look like you're jumping companies. Similarly, if asked, you can tell your current employer that you just want a per diem job for extra hours. If they counter and say that OT is always available, you reply by saying that you prefer to schedule your hours in advance, and not have to rely on sporadic and inconvenient openings.

There are tons of backstabbers in EMS. Some people would practically kill their own mother to get a promotion. Some people just like to watch the world burn. The golden rule is to always have your foot in the door of another EMS employer in case something goes bad at your primary job.

ViolynEMT

Forum Chiefess
I haven't gotten my first job yet. These threads were really good for me to read. Never hurts to be prepared!

cprted

Forum Captain
To OP, did you drop/almost drop someone? If so, why didn't YOU report it to your supervisor? Potential for injury to patient and crew, that's a near miss in my organization.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
He@@, I had co-workers trying to get me arrested!
I retired at 22 years, they all quit or were fired. One was arrested. I won. You can too. Pay attention to the comments above.