CO EMT and Trying to Get Hired

Grizzlyclimber

Forum Ride Along
Looking for some advice from EMT's and Medics in Colorado but will take any help I can get!

Here is a little background on me. I previously was an EMT then paramedic in SD for 4 years. I moved out to Colorado about 8 years ago and let my certifications lapse (like a moron). I realized I missed the job and that's what I am meant to do so am starting from scratch to get back into it. I recently became nationally registered and CO Certified EMT.

My issue is I have been applying to companies in Denver and Colorado Springs (where I live) and have not received any reponse back whether it be a "No thanks, not right at this time" or a invitation to interview. I believe I have a pretty sound resume and have been applying often when ever I see an opening.

Anybody have any advice on how to get noticed better?

I am starting my IV certification tomorrow and will be done at the beginning of April. Hopefully that will help. I am working at a retail store but really want to get back on a rig where my heart is, not only for that but to support my family while I go through P-School in the fall.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks All!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Your IV cert will help you a lot. Make sure to check AMR and ActionCare for employment. I know they hire a lot. Try to stay away from R/M in Arvada. But Pridemark might be one to look into

OP
OP
G

Grizzlyclimber

Forum Ride Along
I recently stopped into AMR in Springs and dropped off a resume (along with a bagel pack from Panera-not above bribary for a job LOL j/k) They are not having an academy until June. I have apps in with AMR Denver and Boulder and Action Care as well and haven't got a response. But thanks for the response. I don't think Pridemark is around anymore, they got acquired by RM.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I recently stopped into AMR in Springs and dropped off a resume (along with a bagel pack from Panera-not above bribary for a job LOL j/k) They are not having an academy until June. I have apps in with AMR Denver and Boulder and Action Care as well and haven't got a response. But thanks for the response. I don't think Pridemark is around anymore, they got acquired by RM.

I thought they were still operating as Pridemark though. I know they lost at least one contract though. And AMR usually only will take resume's and applications through online. Keep trying man. Good luck

Ensihoitaja

Forum Captain
I thought they were still operating as Pridemark though. I know they lost at least one contract though. And AMR usually only will take resume's and applications through online. Keep trying man. Good luck

Rural/Metro still operates Pridemark, they do 911 in Wheat Ridge, Edgewater, and Fairmount. As far as I know, you can't apply to Pridemark separately, you have to apply to Rural/Metro.

I think you'll have better luck once you get your IV cert. Every company I know of requires it to work on the ambulance.

OP
OP
G

Grizzlyclimber

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, I did some checking on them and you are right. You need to apply through Rural Metro. It looks like it starts as an ATS/EMT position. Have you heard anything about working for them?

ipkes

More than Active
As of right now with Rural Metro / Pridemark you start on ATS only if you dont have your IV certification. If you have you IV you get bumped straight up to BLS or ALS

OP
OP
G

Grizzlyclimber

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the replies. Now it's decision time. Received a job offer from R/M Pridemark and just got a call last night from AMR Boulder for an interview. Any recommendations?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Thanks for all the replies. Now it's decision time. Received a job offer from R/M Pridemark and just got a call last night from AMR Boulder for an interview. Any recommendations?

AMR Boulder can be tough to get on with so if you can defer RM for a bit it might be worth it.

OP
OP
G

Grizzlyclimber

Forum Ride Along
Will keep that in mind. I'm not wanting to screw up any prospects when it comes down to it. RM emailed me and wants me to start on the 24th. Called AMR today and setup an interview for the 27th. The only kicker is it's a longer commute to Boulder from Springs.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Will keep that in mind. I'm not wanting to screw up any prospects when it comes down to it. RM emailed me and wants me to start on the 24th. Called AMR today and setup an interview for the 27th. The only kicker is it's a longer commute to Boulder from Springs.

If you live in the springs I would not be wanting to make that commute. Even springs to denver for a day shift is no fun, did that for a bit and never again. Also springs AMR will not be hiring EMTs anytime soon, just so you know.

OP
OP
G

Grizzlyclimber

Forum Ride Along
Yeah, I spoke with them last month and they said that. The main reason I'd want to do AMR is to transfer to springs eventually. At least Aurora is only an hour compared to 2 for boulder. Thanks again for all the replies and advice.