clinical rotations

Run with scissors

Forum Lieutenant
Has any one ever done operating room clinicals?

What exactly do you do in them?

Summit

Critical Crazy
emt student: watch
medic student: IVs and intubation

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Pretty much anything the staff could get away with letting us do. bandaging, IVs, some meds, intubation, blood draws, nasogastric tube, foley, sutures,...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
From a skills check off aspect, we were there for intubations and SGAs.

It was also a great area to truly learn how to bag a pt.
I had several pts where the anesthesiologist didn't have me tube but bvm with an opa for 30min to an hour... The length of the procedure.
They would also be continually asking us questions about the airway, the drugs, anatomy, etc. If we got too many wrong it turned into an observation or were asked to leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
For medic school:

OR: intubations mostly, discussion of pharm with anesthesiology residents, observation of surgery.
L&D: assist in uncomplicated deliveries, insert Foleys, assess newborns -- all under supervision of course.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No, 50 hours for Aemt and 50 hours for paramedic. Idk why its so many hours. Its almost the same amount of hours that are set for the ER

I did 24 hours in L&D and wanted to gouge my eyes out with a spork.

Granted only a couple patients allowed me to be in the room and even less actually deliver their child. For the most part I hung out with the Anesthesiologist and helped him (read: watched and handed him things) do epidurals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I had to do 24 hours of L&D. Its about 30 minutes of this is really cool and 11.5 hours of spinning in a chair. They all pretty much went the same. Push momma push, catch the baby, mouth then nose, clamp'n cut, dry, apgar, shot and eye cream, ayyy dad come check out what you did. I did learn what size suction to use with the meconium suction device though.

Jane

Forum Crew Member
First semester medic school, here. We don't have any OR clinicals this semester, but next semester we will for intubations.