Classic Newbie Question - any info is appreciated

WannabePA

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

I am currently serving overseas and as soon as I get back I plan on pursuing a paramedic program.

I am curious if someone could provide me some insight as to how its done.

I have no certs (EMT-B/I/A). Are there programs that start from the ground up? And if so are there any that have an accelerated pipeline that can be completed in a year?

The plan, if it could work, is to get my cert asap and start my undergraduate. I would love to get the experience paramedics get as I learn more about medical practice.

**Any insight on medical degree's geared towards emergency medicine? Not EMS, due to how much I've read that degree doesn't help with getting into graduate programs.

Idealy I'd like a 1 year paramedic program that could be used as I go to school for four years, inevitably getting into a Physician Assistant graduate program.

Thanks so much, and I hope I don't sound like the idiot with the grand plan!

Last edited:

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
1) many of the non-degree paramedic programs are 12 month programs. Most require EMT beforehand, but not all.
1a) If you go the route of the associates degree paramedic, the first semester typically includes EMT
2) as for degrees to help go for emergency medicine, I've been told it doesn't really matter, provided you select a "pre-med" track, which will fill much of your elective courses with medical school prereqs.
3) there are still some bachelors level PA programs (and there used to be associates level ones too), but most are now masters level.

OP
OP
W

WannabePA

Forum Ride Along
1) Do you have any direction on where I can look for the 12 month programs, even better ones in Ohio?

Is there a website you may know of, to be more specific.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Ask you you shall receive: http://bfy.tw/DrUj

You might need to call or email the individual programs for their exact details, but this should help point you in the right direction.