Class starting, need a list.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok, I am REALLY late on this, but thats the way things are for me these days...

For my EMT'B class, we had to carry on our person for every clinical rotation (and our instructors checked to make sure we had it ALL before we were assigned to a rotation):

Name Badge
Stethoscope (mine was purple)
Pen Light (mine was purple)
2 ink pens (black, no blue - red - green -or whatever color)
3 pairs of glove
1 pair of non-latex gloves (mine were purple)
OSHA approved eye protection
a Red BioHazard bag
a CPR mask, with one way valve and the case to carry it in (my case was...Purple)
Trauma Shears (mine had purple handles)
Our CRP card
a small note pad (there was to be NO writing on gloves, and if we did, our preceps would take our gloves away and make us put on new ones) (OH...and guess what color mine was)
Our EMT Course shirt. It was a gray polo, with the star and the words PJC EMT-B Student under it in yellow
Blue or Black pants. I had the ones with the pockets on the sides.
Black shoes. I personally bought the Magnum brand. With the zipper on the sides.
Black socks.
Hair had to be pulled back if it was shoulder length with a black "hair thingy"

Now, what did I use on my clinicals out of all that crap. Of course my uniform (I wore it),ink pens, and my stethoscope. Everything else was either on the rig or in the ER where I was assigned.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I bought red, white & blue BP kit & scope on ebay.

I don't know why. Just because, I guess.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Originally posted by EMTPrincess@Jul 24 2005, 03:13 PM
a Red BioHazard bag
I can kinda understand the rest, but why in the world did they require you to carry a bio bag?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by SafetyPro+Jul 28 2005, 01:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SafetyPro @ Jul 28 2005, 01:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess@Jul 24 2005, 03:13 PM
a Red BioHazard bag
I can kinda understand the rest, but why in the world did they require you to carry a bio bag? [/b][/quote]
big ol' bag for the student to vomit in, I guess....

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
This is the first I've been on the forums for awhile and have to say this has been one of the most entertaining topics I have read in awhile. I couldnt help but think to myself WTF and kinda laugh a few times. Here's my advice and view on things.

As someone else said way back dont over due it dude because if you do, your not gonna be taken seriously by your peers. 99% of the time the EMS providers that have a duty belt better equipped then batmans are wearing them with all the gadgets because they lack the knowledge and skill of a good provider so they are trying to make up for it with their appearance. In this business dont be a wacker... thatz a bad thing.

When I took my EMT class I only took my text book, pens, and a notebook. And during certain portions we were required to bring our CPR masks issued to us and stethoscope. What more do you need? And during paramedic school I carried a backpack with all my books, pens, highlighters, and drug cards. And I got tired of carrying that around so dont add anything u dont need.

Your enthusiasm is overflowing and that is really great. You seem very determined in achieving your certification. But just one last bit of advice. I see all to often on the BLS and ALS level, providers making way more out of EMS then it really is. Just stick to the task at hand and dont get all caught up in the over glorified relm of EMS that people like to place themselves in. Sure EMS is a crucial and well needed service and integral to this countries health care system but think about it. How many of our patients are truely life or death cases that we actually "save lives".... where something we did specifically is responsible for the patient still being alive. Nobody really knows for sure how beneficial EMS really is. On the surface it seems like it is all that and they're is emperical data that say's EMS "saves lives" but where is the real scientific, research based data to support this? They're isnt any. And I'm talking on a large scale not certain individual cases. In 10 years as a career EMS provider I can only recall one incident where I was first onscene that my actions saved a teen-agers life as an EMT-B.

Maybe I'm getting off track so Ill make my point. Concentrate on learning as much as you can so you can make the biggest difference that you can. It doesnt take bells and whistles to do that. It takes intellect and tools of the trade... that is it. They're is no substitute for knowledge. Enter the field with a receptive mind and never act like you know it all about any particular topic even if you do.... as a newbi just agree and move on. No need to prove your intelligence to any one other then your patient. And dont make more out of EMS or being an EMT then it is.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Jul 28 2005, 01:35 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Jul 28 2005, 01:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Jul 28 2005, 01:22 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess
@Jul 24 2005, 03:13 PM
a Red BioHazard bag

I can kinda understand the rest, but why in the world did they require you to carry a bio bag?
big ol' bag for the student to vomit in, I guess.... [/b][/quote]
HAHA...that was funny Jon...sorry I missed it before...

as to why the red bag...I dunno....Our instructor did a lot of things that made me go :blink: But I love him...I had worked with him through the fire department. He reminds me so much of my Dad in his mannerisms and sense of humor....but he his still a big ole A$$....and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by EMTPrincess+Aug 21 2005, 08:53 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (EMTPrincess @ Aug 21 2005, 08:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jul 28 2005, 01:35 AM
Originally posted by SafetyPro@Jul 28 2005, 01:22 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-EMTPrincess
@Jul 24 2005, 03:13 PM
a Red BioHazard bag

big ol' bag for the student to vomit in, I guess....
HAHA...that was funny Jon...sorry I missed it before...

as to why the red bag...I dunno....Our instructor did a lot of things that made me go :blink: But I love him...I had worked with him through the fire department. He reminds me so much of my Dad in his mannerisms and sense of humor....but he his still a big ole A$$....and I wouldn't have it any other way. :D [/b][/quote]
I keep a big clear bag in my bunker coat at the FD, with a few paks of advil and immodium... for either myself or a patient throwing up, scene debris (cups and trash at Rehab station) or pt. belongings....

Thom **** covered this in his "tricks of the trade" column several years ago... he talks of cutting partway around the bag about 3" frm the opening, then putting the loop behind the patient's neck, giving them a plae to vomit in, handsfree..

Jon

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
That's a lobster bag Jon, a trick my father taught me for drunk people. He told me its alot easier than anything else lol. :p I'm doing well in my class; I only carry my PDA, backpack, books, notebook, and pen to class, unless specified to bring my stethascope or CPR mask, I don't. I carry as minimal as possible. I probably will when I get into my ED clinical hours, and my ridealongs as well. ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
What type of PDA do you use, and what software do you run on it?

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Dell Axim X50 with Wi-Fi, I use pocket rescue, as it is software that the company that makes my book works with. It's basically a field pocket guide. :) It's very handy, but the best thing I've found is the ability to easily keep track of dates lol.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I use a Treo 650, but I have a ton of freeware and shareware for it, all of it EMS/Fire related.

You might want to check out the following sites for some good programs.

FreewarePalm.com
PalmBlvd.com
Tucows.com
DDHSoftware.com

I've got more, but don't have time to post them right now. Send me a PM and we'll chat.

OP
OP
I

Ian

Forum Crew Member
Ya; none of those websites work for me. Yours is palm OS; mine is windows mobile pocketpc. Sadly; almost EVERY software is built to run on palm, but thats changing slowly. :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
DDH Software is supposed to be cross platform, and if you go to Tucows and FreewarePalm, they each have links at the top of their respective pages for PocketPC programs.