Chimpie is having a good night

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
In the 90 minutes I was on patrol I had 3 medical runs and 1 security related run.

Run #1 - Laceration on the leg; wouldn't stop bleeding.
Run #2 - Siezure, fall, bump on noggin.
Run #3 - Lift assist; should have been transported but refused.

I got to get my hands dirty. YAY!

Chimp

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
You go Chimpie! B)

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yeah, lucky you. I'm going to be up way too early tomorrow and with my luck, that goose will terrorize me again. :p

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Come on... what was the fun security one? Did someone crash your gate?

Did one grandma steal another grandma's purse? ;)

I've actually been the "official" EMT at work for the last 3+ weeks (I get paid $2 more an hour) and I've not had a medical yet! In fact, the most fun I had was the Fire Drill last week... just when I was starting to get REALLY bored... That was fun.

Jon

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Sounds like a fun shift... I want a fun shift!

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
I had a lift assist today too. Also should have been transported. Absolutely refused. Admitted to ETOH too. Officer on duty advised not to push it, and we had a local doctor stop by to make sure he was alright. He was fine to verbal stimuli...He's a regular. One hell of a character.

"sir do you know who the president is?"

"what do you thin ki'm fu.cking stupid? That idiot bush!"

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
So tell me, if your a security guard/First Responder who is excited about people getting hurt....

Whats that make you?

Really...glad you got something to make your night fun. I did a 12 hour shift last night, on what is normally the busiest truck in the county, and ran 1....1 damn call....all night long. And that call was a nursing home patient who pulled his peg tube out. Then, this morning...10 minutes before I was to be off shift...2 911 calls. An overdose, and a fall.

3 calls in 12 hours is unheard of for any truck in our county....let alone the one I was on.

I couldn't sleep all night. I kept thinking, I don't want to go to sleep because the second I do, the tones will drop. And what did I get...NOTHING!!! NOTHING!! and NOTHING!!!!

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
EMTPrincess said:
So tell me, if your a security guard/First Responder who is excited about people getting hurt....

Whats that make you?
Someone who, has previously stated in other threads, is going to hell when it's all done and over with. :p

No, I'm just like many other people in EMS: Can't stand the quiet nights. And most of the time nothing ever happens. So when I'm hopping, I'm happy.

Raf

Forum Lieutenant
I hate quiet nights, it's just too boring for me. However I don't want to 'hope' for calls, that would just mean people getting hurt :(

It's a tough situation. I've been on since 1700 today and still no calls.

joemt

Forum Lieutenant
I have often said that we have one of the sickest jobs ... we sit around and wait for people to get hurt (or sick) and need us... how whacked is THAT?

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
joemt said:
I have often said that we have one of the sickest jobs ... we sit around and wait for people to get hurt (or sick) and need us... how whacked is THAT?

It explains a lot about us though ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
joemt said:
We don't WANT people to get sick/hurt.... but if it is going to happen, it might as well happen when I can help them....

Imagine

Forum Crew Member
Guys, lets face it. Our job is exciting. We rely on patients to do to do it. I'm not gonna lie, there have been days when I've certainly hoped someone would injur themselves so I could hop in the ambulance. I've given up on trying to sugar coat it. :p

Dr.R

Forum Ride Along
honestly, it's exactly like that. you find yourself sitting infront of the TV wishing someone calls EMS. last week had that boring 12h shift---> only 2, calls.
first was 15years old who collapsed at the bus station, nothing serious, councious when we arrived.
2nd one at around 3 a.m just shooting out of the station, when we got the cancellation over radio :( sucks....

those moments you want at least something to do!

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Do you know how many times I've had that exact converation with my partners?

It's so wrong... but true. Where else can you say "Everyone likes a good MVC" besides the crew lounge... and have everyone nod in agreement?

disassociative

Forum Captain

Tonight, I had a 17 yo that took 12 xanax(1 mg), Diabetic emergency, and the always welcomed, "My daughter is vomiting blood". It wasn't too busy tonight; however I wasn't on shift with LifeFlight.

HFD EMS

Forum Probie
hey i like nights like that...much better than there being no calls and its a boring night all night and seems like it will never end:p and medicstudentjon is right...its a fact of life that people are going to get hurt and potentially die and if thats the case i want to be there so i can prevent them from suffering and potentially save their life.

Last edited by a moderator:

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
I spent a weekend day a few weeks ago watching a pocket gopher come out of its hole to grab grass before darting back in the hole.

This went on for my entire shift. I sat there and watched this same pocket gopher pop up in different areas of the lawn. It would occasionally go back and plug up one of the previous holes.

That was the highlight of my entire day. The rest of the shift was way less exciting. heh.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I had 3 "Medicals" in a day on Monday, didn't leave until 2 hours after my shift:

Just FYI - we average 1-2 EMS runs at work a week.

I had

Syncope, on the stairs, caught, helped to "First aid" room. Called 911 for EMS (Incl. ALS). Pt. refused transport for me, but was wiling to get checked by the medic... the medic is half-way through DO school, and is an old mentor of mine... he is also one of the BEST medics I know. He wanted her to go, put her on the phone with command, and she still refused.

Then I got a call that we had had an off-site "Medical" - employee passed out at a "team building" excerise off-site... that counted, because I still had to do the paperwork.

Finally, at 1440 (I work 07-15) called for "gravely injured person" after a celing tile fell on them. A 2-inch chunk of celing tile got soaked with a water leak and fell onto someone's shoulder.. they brushed it off... I get there, they are really scared by 3 of us charging in with the medical gear... and I go availible "No services" and turned over to maintence.

It was a fun