Childrens Asprin

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Firetender you do have good points. I will not deny that I have laughed at patients, repeated stupid things they have said etc. However, I will NEVER do it in front of the patient, their family, or brag about it. Well, with one caveat, I have laughed when patients are trying to be funny. I will also admit I have said things like "Someone shoot me" or "If we get one more call I'm throwing myself in front of the fire truck".

There is a big difference between laughing at a situation and being condescending and mocking. The OP came off as the latter, and also indicated that he doesn't have a very good understanding of psychology and human behavior.

Also, never ever ever assume the patient doesn't speak English, even if they tell you they don't. Remember, people lie. Tone of voice is also something that can be understood across languages.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Also, never ever ever assume the patient doesn't speak English, even if they tell you they don't. Remember, people lie. Tone of voice is also something that can be understood across languages.

+1. That was going to be my second point. You'd probably be surprised how much English he understands. For example, I don't "speak" Spanish, but I understand it well enough to understand the gist of most conversations. Enough that if I were in the back of a rig in Mexico and the jerk EMTs were "talking trash" about me right in front of me I'd know what was going on. And if I were suicidal, well now I know one way that doesn't necessarily work... maybe a gun will be a better option for next time since clearly the people I've relied on to help me in the most dire of times don't give a **** about me or my wellbeing.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Firetender,

I got ya, but I think there is a darker bent to some of the black humour in healthcare. I'm all for dark humour. But there is a difference in the intent and delivery of some of it.

There is the laughing so you don't cry type stuff and the laughing at the absurdity of events, even if those events are quite nasty. I get that. But I think some of it is straight up dehumanization - "this persons story upsets me, if I devalue the life of a that person, I will be less upset". Its immature at best. And that's certainly how this post came across to me.

Also, the notion that people trying to kill themselves should somehow hold a PhD in pharmocology and know exactly what will and won't kill them, then devaluing the attempts of those that don't meet your standards, is endemic in healthcare around here and it s**ts me something aweful.

Most importantly: I'm looking forward to reading your book when I have some money.

OP
OP
EMTfromSanJac

EMTfromSanJac

Forum Probie
I appriciate everyones input and take into consideration everything. Sorry for offending anyone. I am excited about EMS and I am sure those of you have your opionions that I am not fit for this job, and to that I say good for your opionion. This is what I know in my heart I want to do, I risked alot to go into this profession, and can't wait to get out there.

Thanks!!

OP
OP
EMTfromSanJac

EMTfromSanJac

Forum Probie
Also more back story, the Paramedic spoke Spanish and was talking to him as well and patient even mentioned it was for attention. And there was a laugh out of him when we dropped him off at the hospital.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
[...] although we have our own notions about what constitutes an emergency, emergencies are always finally defined by their owners, and not their responders. And that's actually OK, because EMS exists for the public.
While not condoning OP's actions, I disagree with that.
Just like 911 dispatch centers exist for the public, but it's not OK to call 911 because your pizza wasn't delivered on time, or because you want to watch fireworks but forgot what time they start, even if you consider it an emergency.
Quote:
[...] there's no such thing as a stupid call. (Remember the pleas of the crew of the Titanic were ignored repeatedly before thousands of that ship's passengers died in the North Atlantic.)
How is that even relevant? Titanic's calls were ignored because at the time ships weren't required to constantly monitor the radio.

JH-EMT

Forum Probie
I think everybody is being a little too extreme. You cant take everything, esp. yourself, too seriously. both make good points. you'll crack if you get upset over every call you go on. but you also have to care enough. you obviously care about people, otherwise you wouldn't be in prehospital care. However everyone deserves a certain amount of dignity, even if they are idiots. But then agian, humor can get you through the day. We're all driven toward the same purpose.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
This further demonstrates the failings of an education system that allows a provider to practice independently, in a diverse environment potentially dealing with any medical situation possible with only 100-200 hours of training. How much time can be spent preparing a provider for the all too common psychological issues that may be current problem or an underlying factor complicating care.

In my course of study we had a full semester course called "crisis intervention" that dealt with, among other things:
- non-violent crisis intervention
- therapeutic communications
- psychiatric issues
- death notification

Were I to total in class hours we'd be looking at 30 class hours. Of course this doesn't count homework and assignments.

We also had a psychology class, human growth and development, legal and ethical, and Patient care which at various times touched on issues relevant to this.

And you know what my biggest lesson was? I as a Paramedic am ill-equipped to deal with psychological issues. I will when necessary intervene to diffuse the immediate crisis to facilitate care, but I will not attempt to play pop-psych. Heck, when these patient's come into emerg, they have dedicated crisis workers to address their psych issues, since the RN's and Emerg MD's can recognize that they are not the best person to address these issues.

Does the small section of an EMT course devoted to these issues prepare you any better than myself or them?

Embrace your dark humour for what it is, an important coping mechanism against human tragedy, but beware of the subtle shift that can turn you jaded and judgmental against those in need of compassion.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Embrace your dark humour for what it is, an important coping mechanism against human tragedy, but beware of the subtle shift that can turn you jaded and judgmental against those in need of compassion.

Bravo!

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Dude, it's cool, that is why I chose this job. I want to help people. I understand.

I appriciate everyones input and take into consideration everything. Sorry for offending anyone. I am excited about EMS and I am sure those of you have your opionions that I am not fit for this job, and to that I say good for your opionion. This is what I know in my heart I want to do, I risked alot to go into this profession, and can't wait to get out there.

Thanks!!

First off, know that I'm the kind of person who will laugh at ANYTHING if it's funny. Even if it's personal.

Do know that your first post sounded really bad. We give "baby aspirin" for adult chest pain. It's a very real drug. So, when you say "Children's aspirin" it implies pills which really can kill you, so you seemed lame for saying it wasn't a good attempt.

Then you explained the liquid aspirin (I've only seen liquid non-aspirin for children), so then I saw the humor and understood why you were posting. Figured you just had a lack of tact.

But then seeing how you've replied to everyone, I can tell you're just being immature. It's like there's no remorse. No desire to learn or understand. No respect for those trying to remind you of the seriousness of the topic. Just more quick little replies and excusing your postings because you're "excited" and then go on about wanting to "get out there".

Honestly, BASED ON YOUR INTERACTION HERE, I definitely don't want you working with me or being part of it. You're NOT uncaring, but you ARE immature. You're the kind of guy who ends up getting fired in under a year. Why? Because you blow off those trying to teach you lessons. Then, no one wants to even help you. Then you end up F'ing up and everyone saw it coming.

AND ability to interact with people here does usually have a correlation with real life behavior. I've seen it before (meet people here, they come to work with me, they get fired).

One would think you'd be a good behavior as a student. But no. You've already made a jackass out of yourself and insulted many. You're going to need tact and interpersonal professional skills on the job. You definitely haven't displayed any here AFTER attempts were made at correcting you. FAIL.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Pull up waders

:deadhorse: