Chief Complaint on a IFT run

OP
OP
E

elly

Forum Ride Along
Pt is a fall and safety risk, cannot support themselves in a wheel chair w/o risk of falling due to AMS secondary Dementia.
Pt is on hip precautions due to recent hip surgery x3 days.
Pt cannot self-regulate O2 tx due to AMS secondary CVA with left sided weakness and AMS.

emtfarva I was wondering what does AMS stand for?

emtfarva

Forum Captain
Dan and Ian,

It is really funny what you can use for a medical reason that a person needs an ambulance. But, be really careful with O2. That is not an automatic reason for an ambulance. You need to justify why they cannot self-regulate the O2. Not just not able to self-administer. Also, just because they can't climb stairs, doesn't mean they need an ambulance either. I have made a call that was booked for an ambulance, into ambulance covering chair car because there was no reason to use an ambulance. Of course, we needed a stair chair on the other end. And as for what to have the nurse right on the MedNecs, I look at there choices, and ask the nurse step by step. Can this person sit in a chair? Ok, what is the medical condition that makes them a risk of falling out of a wheel chair in monition? And, just because they are on your stretcher, doesn't make them a fall risk. If the call was booked right, the Pt wouldn't be on a stretcher. You have to back up why they need a stretcher with a medical condition.

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
At my company 90% of our pts are dialysis pt and we pick most of them up 3x a week. they are all in esrd, the thought of any of my pts driving them selfs is really scary or just not even a possability. I put the reason for ambulance transport as severe weakness secondary to esrd, or some of them are amputees, some have dementia. Here in El paso we have what is called the El paso coctail. esrd,httn,dmII. My company is mainly IFT but we do get to back up county and city from time to time.

emtfarva

Forum Captain
At my company 90% of our pts are dialysis pt and we pick most of them up 3x a week. they are all in esrd, the thought of any of my pts driving them selfs is really scary or just not even a possability. I put the reason for ambulance transport as severe weakness secondary to esrd, or some of them are amputees, some have dementia. Here in El paso we have what is called the El paso coctail. esrd,httn,dmII. My company is mainly IFT but we do get to back up county and city from time to time.
Most people that are on dialysis have DM and HTN. Those are the 2 leading causes of renal failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I realize that, I just never realized how many there were untill I started working in El Paso.