Chiari Malformation Type 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahealani

Forum Ride Along
Aloha,

I am new to the forum, as well as a new EMT B student. My question is, I have been diagnosed w/ a mild form of Chiari Malformation Type 1 5 yrs ago and was wondering if there is anyone out there who is familiar w/ this condition and or have this condition while being an EMT. I am hoping it will not hinder my EMT goal. Mahalo for your time :)

Fox800

Forum Captain
I know offhand that type I cases are usually benign. Have you talked to a neurologist, or at least your primary care physician, about it?

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Needless to say this is something to discuss with your doc, not us. Explain the demands of the job (driving, lifting, patient care, etc) and get their input.

Just for our curiosity, are you symptomatic?

OP
OP
K

Kahealani

Forum Ride Along
....Also, I had seen a neurologist and neurosurgeon. 1 recommended surgery, and the other recommended physical therapy to strengthen neck muscles, and also weight training for back, neck, for head support as well as MRI once a year. Kinda expensive without Medical Insurance. Sometimes surgery not covered and is considered "pre-exisisting condition".

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
We don't allow medical advice to be given (or solicited) on this forum. Since you're consulting with a doc, thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.