Chest pain with head trauma

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
This was a scenario put to me recently. 66 year old man complaining of chest pain after a syncopal episode and hitting his head. Vitals are within normal limits, BP slightly elevated. 12-lead shows ST elevation in lateral leads. 3" laceration to the back of his head. States "I felt light-headed and my chest started hurting. I fell and hit my head".

Because of the head trauma I didn't go the chest pain protocol route. Looking back now I think I should have at very least asked medical control, and probably should have treated the chest pain.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
There are only three things that'll put you on the ground. Your head, your heart and your sugar. :)

RedAirplane

Forum Asst. Chief
How's his mental status doing 5, 10, 15 minutes after initial contact?

SpecialK

Forum Captain
Chest pain, history of syncope and ST elevation in the lateral leads? STEMI until proven otherwise.

He has an iimmediate threat to his life and needs to immediately go to a catheter lab.

The head laceration is largely irrelevant, his primary problem is STEMI.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I think what the OP is asking if the pt should have been given ASA for the STEMI in the setting of a head injury. The answer is that is depends on the height of the fall. If it was a fall from standing then no problem. If he fell 10 feet off a ladder, then I would hold.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
I think what the OP is asking if the pt should have been given ASA for the STEMI in the setting of a head injury. The answer is that is depends on the height of the fall. If it was a fall from standing then no problem. If he fell 10 feet off a ladder, then I would hold.

This was my main question. I had a feeling a made the wrong decision and it definitely seems that I did.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
It all depends on how your protocols are written. Was the pt on any sort of anti-coagulation? No one is going to fault you for not giving aspirin, especially if you document the reason.