Chemistry?

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Would taking chemistry in high school be beneficial for a future EMT / Paramedic?

Is it better to take that during community college? Is it even necessary to take it at all?

Thank you to all.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Would taking chemistry in high school be beneficial for a future EMT / Paramedic?

Is it better to take that during community college? Is it even necessary to take it at all?

Thank you to all.

Absolutely. Taking Chemistry in high school will make the college chemistry more palatable, IMO, but I had to work hard at chemistry to get it.

It is necessary to have a good basic understanding of chemistry to be able to understand a lot of physiology and pathophysiology, pharmacology, and even some hazmat incidents.

Never too educated, IMO! And high school classes are free for the taking!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yes. Take it both in high school and college.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Especially organic chem. Med professionals bread and butter.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Organic? Meh. I'm convinced it's more for the thought process than the actual coursework.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
For me, organic chem seems more relevant to the biological process. Two semesters of gen chem seemed way overkill for me. Enthalpy of a molecule...who cares?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Enthalpy or Gibs Free Energy? Meh.

...on the other hand...

Concepts regarding how molecules interact with catalysts are compatible to how transmitters react with receivers.

Entropy is comparable to what happens when you administer a drug IV and how it spreads out to be systemic.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

...on the other hand...

Concepts regarding how molecules interact with catalysts are compatible to how transmitters react with receivers.

Entropy is comparable to what happens when you administer a drug IV and how it spreads out to be systemic.
I found biochemistry to be interesting and somewhat useful at least.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

:(

I find Gibs free energy to be useful.

I think the major use for organic chemistry is to understand biochemistry.

I have found that people who have taken gen chem in college are much more successful as paramedic students than any other class including A&P, which is often grossly watered down facts about both serving neither.

If you want to do anatomy right, the only option is human gross, and it should have a reasonable amount of embryology and evolutionary anatomy with it. (and of course a lab where you do the dissection, not a prosection)

A good physiology assumes you already know your anatomy well enough.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

Thank you to all.

Speaking as both a chemist and a Paramedic, I would say that taking chemistry in high school certainly couldn't be a bad thing as you would sharpen your algebra skills by way of Dimensional Analysis (Which comes in handy for dosage calculation) and other algebraic principles. Moreover, you would learn key terms such as: Diffusion, Dissociation, Valence, and perhaps even a few little tid bits of basic biochemistry (Such as the Kreb Cycle) and the fundamentals of cAMP and how insulin works to get glucose into the cell. These would be some very good things to know.

As a matter of fact, in the curriculum that I am helping to develop for the new degree program in EMS at my University (Which is now looking toward a BS, Paramedicine or BS, EMS), I am working to actually require that students, along with several biology courses MUST take General Chemistry I and II as a pre-requisite for the program.. I am even foing so far as to have the students take "Chemistry for the Life Sciences" which touches on many areas of chemistry: General Chemistry, Organic, Bio, and Radio with emphasis to healthcare application.

In short, Yes, Chemistry will definitely help you.

8jimi8

CFRN
Take AP chemistry if it is available for you. It will save you time in the long run.

Senorsquishie

Forum Ride Along
I took Chem in high school and it seriously helped big time in college. I wish I had the chance to take it AP, if you do well it can save a lot of time and effort. The first semester workload of college takes a lot of people by surprise, so every bit helps!

OP
OP
minneola24

minneola24

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks.

I wasn't able to take Chemistry however was able to take a math analysis course. I hope it comes in handy.