Position:
PARAMEDIC
Grade: TSFL/08
Position #: EMPPOO48
Department: EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES
Salary Range: HIRING HOURLY RATE $15.85 - $16.82
Minimum requirements:
Minimum Education - a HS diploma
Minimum Qualification - 6 months of EMS (ambulance service transport or other patient care) experience along with the following certifications and licensure: SCDHEC Paramedic (National Registry preferred), BLS, ACLS, and a valid driver’s license.
Description:
With the growth in Charleston County, Charleston County EMS has an exciting opportunity to work in a fast paced 911 system which was awarded the 2010 EMS System of the Year. Modern equipment, advanced protocols and employee participation in research and system development makes this the place to be. CCEMS now operates on a 12 hour shift (every other weekend is a three day weekend) schedule.

To qualify for this position, you must have at least a HS diploma plus 6 months of EMS (ambulance service transport or other patient care) experience along with the following certifications and licensure: SCDHEC Paramedic (National Registry preferred), BLS, ACLS, and a valid driver’s license. ITLS or PHTLS and PEPP or PALS are preferred. The selected candidate must have a valid SC driver’s license within 30 days of hire. The following training is required within 3 months of employment: ICS 100, 200, 700, 704 and 800. Candidates must provide documentation verifying their eligibility credentials with the completed application.

In addition to the above candidates must also be able to: drive an emergency vehicle, have excellent communications skills (in person, over the radio/telephone, and written), work a variety of shifts, perform a wide variety of duties with accuracy and speed under pressure, provide basic life support patient care, follow safety protocols, read maps and find locations within the County, perform calmly in emergency situations, and other EMT related duties. Knowledge must include but is not limited to: laws and regulations of US DOT, FCC, DEA and SCDHEC in regard to the practice of emergency medical services, County and EMS policies and procedures, Charleston County geography, vehicle extrication and rescue principles, patient stabilization, medical terminology, and defensive driving techniques. The paramedic is responsible for providing advance life support patient care, communicating appropriately, ensuring the readiness of vehicles and equipment, maintaining uniforms and stations, attending training, and following safety guidelines and medical protocols. APPLICATION DEADLINE: FRIDAY, DECEMBER 18, 2015.

Application Deadline: 12/18/2015

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I last worked for them back in 2008. Then, they had a 56 hr schedule, where medics started at around $38k/yr, up to $45k after six months and being cut loose as a crew chief, top pay $68k. That worked out to a starting pay of a little over $11/hr. Recently they went to 12 hr shifts, for a 42 hr work week. With that, their starting pay range based on their hourly quote is $35.5k to $37.6k. I guess that going from a 56 hour workweek to a 42 hr workweek requires hiring an entire platoon, a third more people than they have right now, so the yearly pay got bumped down a little. Regardless, they pay a better hourly rate than pretty much any other municipal employers in the area except for Greenville SC. Most places are still stuck in the 1970's with 56hr weeks paying $10-$12/hr

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
$10-12/hour? What a joke. I make $17.50 in Texas and that's sub-standard compared to what a lot of other employers are paying in the area.

With that said, if they have stations and are strictly 911 I'll throw in an app. I like Charleston and have been looking to make a move to the east coast.

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Read the post again, they used to pay roughly $11/hr. They have since went from a 56 hour workweek with a few 48 hour spots to all-42 hour weeks, 12 hour shifts, 16 hrs. cap on consecutive hours. Their starting hourly range is now $15.85 - $16.82. It's a pay cut from what your making in Texas, but it's not as bad as previously thought. You may need to move as far out as Summerville live comfortably, unless you have a working spouse or are bringing money with you. Mt. Pleasant is the place to be. I might retire down there, as my home here in VA is roughly worth the same here as in Mt. Pleasant. You'll be making more than local fire departments including The City of Charleston, so at least this is one place that has its priorities straight.

Charleston is strictly 911, and they do have stations. They are not SSM/PUM as far as I know, but they do quite a bit of shuffling to cover holes, so you may find yourself at someone else's station or on a street corner at times. I was hating life working there with their old 24/48 schedule with no Kellys and frequent mandatory OT. 12's with a 16 hr. cap would have been much more enjoyable.

Greenville SC also has a 42 hr. workweek and pays well. They're two hours inland though, if you are looking to be strictly coastal.

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
I understood the pay scale, I was just referencing the $10-12/hour comment in your previous post about that being the norm for the region.

Do you by chance know how competitive the process is? At $16/hour I initially wouldn't think it would be too difficult to get on but if most Medics are only making slightly more than minimum wage in the area it would seem that it would be a desirable department. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
From the article on the schedule change it sounds like there were some employees that preferred the 24's and the copious OT, and left after the change happened. It can be a little pricey to live in the Charleston area, and the outermost stations such as John's Island and McClellanville are a hike and a half if you're doing 12's. They also had to hire a whole platoon in order to meet the staffing need, so that also creates more of an ongoing need to replace attrition.

They used to hire continuously, and now they just open the process once in a while, so it may be more competitive. Still, there are many in EMS that prefer 24's, so you may be in luck. The idea of going to work every other day will turn a lot of people off. Also, with a 16 hour cap, it is more difficult to work a lot of OT if that's your thing. Previously, you could work 48 hrs straight, whether you wanted to or not. I think that they should implement a voluntary 24 consecutive hr policy for OT and shift exchanges, but never mandate over 16 hrs. You may want to get a per diem job at one of the hospitals doing IFT if working around the clock is your preference.

If my job went to 12 hour shifts only, I'd be looking to work somewhere else, since I live 50 minutes from the closest station, and 90 minutes from the farthest station. Two 16's and an 8 hr. shift would be a better fit. Traffic here is much worse than Charleston, though.

reaper

Working Bum
I think that 16 hour cap is for gold overs. Cannot see it as what you can work only. We have a 36 hour cap for continuous hours worked.

I do believe Charleston has gone to SSM. Greenville went to SSM in January and Charleston was supposed to follow it. Now Greenville is back to stations. They learned SSM would not work.

terrible one

Always wandering
They hire part time at all?
(I think I may have asked before but can't remember lol)