Certification help

T14

Forum Ride Along
I plan on taking an emt-b course this summer. I have one concern. At 18 years old I was on my senior skip day trip and was charged with a underage consumption charge in the state of Ohio. I currently work for a hospital now, but at first had a hard time getting the job due to the charge. If I get the expungement what will my chances be like for getting the certification and employment? I have always wanted to work in the medical field, and am currently at a university majoring in pre-med and have just finished my first year. I have no other charges not even a parking ticket. Help please?

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I plan on taking an emt-b course this summer. I have one concern. At 18 years old I was on my senior skip day trip and was charged with a underage consumption charge in the state of Ohio. I currently work for a hospital now, but at first had a hard time getting the job due to the charge. If I get the expungement what will my chances be like for getting the certification and employment? I have always wanted to work in the medical field, and am currently at a university majoring in pre-med and have just finished my first year. I have no other charges not even a parking ticket. Help please?

Per forum rules, legal advice cannot be given here.

My best advice. Hire a lawyer and ask him/her.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wouldn't call this legal advice.

OP, Lets put it this way, your record isn't crap compared to mine along more than a handful of people I know that work in EMS. I'm a full time paramedic for a well known and respected EMS agency. You'll be alright. The trick is to stay out of trouble and show that you've learned and that can take a little while. A lot of agencies won't hire under 21 because of insurance reasons for operating the ambulance but there are some out there that will hire under 21. Keep your nose clean, stay motivated and on the right path and you'll be fine.

There's no real reason for a lawyer in a situation like this, MICs are generally a citation and nothing more. If it's already been processed through the system you can't just delete it from your adult record. Had it happened when you were a juvenile you could appeal to have your record sealed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
T

T14

Forum Ride Along
Okay thank you! And by no means at all was this asking for legal advice, I was asking for opinion in hopes that I could figure out if I should continue on or not. Thank you for the help!