Centura Health Denver

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
Anybody work for Centura Health in Denver as a Hospital Paramedic? They have some spots open. Looking to see what the Paramedics scope of practice is?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Also curious about this. I wonder if they the paramedics as a low level ED tech or if its full scope of practice and job functions

Summit

Critical Crazy
more towards full scope

OP
OP
H

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
Also curious about this. I wonder if they the paramedics as a low level ED tech or if its full scope of practice and job functions
Doubtful its full scope. No hospital ever seems to use Medics to full potential. Ive only seen one come close in my career.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Doubtful its full scope. No hospital ever seems to use Medics to full potential. Ive only seen one come close in my career.
Paramedics exist for a prehospital environment where the low utilization (relative) and undesirable environment makes having higher educated providers to offer sufficient coverage an uneconomical ask. We don't staff ambulances with ER MDs, CRNAs, CENs, RRTs, etc. In the hospital, there are more resources and higher utilization. So you have to ask, why would you use a paramedic to a truly full scope?

That being said, I've posted above that it's closer to full scope. It is a new thing being tried. We'll see how it works out. Hopefully better than when they tried paramedics on inpatient units overseen by nurses as kind of a RN light.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Considering you need a bachelor's degree to be licensed in Colorado vs certified I'm not sure the education statement is entirely accurate 😂 but yes the hospital is a different environment.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Considering you need a bachelor's degree to be licensed in Colorado vs certified I'm not sure the education statement is entirely accurate 😂 but yes the hospital is a different environment.
I think you are confused about something... you do not need a bachelors nor associates to be a paramedic in Colorado nor the job in question. High school diploma/GED, CO Paramedic card, and 3 years experience are the job requirements.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I got licensed in Colorado last month. They requested my undergrad degree and transcripts for licensure as a requirement. Along with science pre reqs. Certification only i don't believe it's required but for licensure it is. Link below
https://cdphe.colorado.gov/emergenc...services/ems-providers/ems-provider-licensing
Yes, if you want to have a license instead of simply being registered as a certified EMS provider (which makes no difference in anything else except you get a "LICENSE") you need a bachelors. You don't have to be a paramedic. I can be a licensed EMT :D

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Centura Colorado Springs has paramedics in their ED’s seeing patients in a nurse role. They’re scope is broader than any street medic around here. Same for SkyRidge.

OP
OP
H

HH1251

Forum Crew Member
Paramedics exist for a prehospital environment where the low utilization (relative) and undesirable environment makes having higher educated providers to offer sufficient coverage an uneconomical ask. We don't staff ambulances with ER MDs, CRNAs, CENs, RRTs, etc. In the hospital, there are more resources and higher utilization. So you have to ask, why would you use a paramedic to a truly full scope?

That being said, I've posted above that it's closer to full scope. It is a new thing being tried. We'll see how it works out. Hopefully better than when they tried paramedics on inpatient units overseen by nurses as kind of a RN light.

It’s a new thing? I’ve seen these job postings for at least three years. are these post not to work in their emergency department?