CE credit for college courses?

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
As I'm looking over the CE opportunities at my service this month, it occurs to me that I'm learning far more relevant information from my A&P class than I will from taking a hazmat class or being a patient for practicals. Why not offer a certain number of CE credits for EMS workers who earn an "A" in A&P, microbiology, etc, at an accredited school? This seems like one way to encourage more education in the field.

skills82

Forum Crew Member
You can get CE credit for course work after you are certified. But it has to deal with EMS field like A&P. I am not sure how many CE's you get. But the National Registry does accept some classes for CE's.

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
https://www.nremt.org/nremt/downloads/EMT.Basic.pdf

2. Additional
EMS Related
Continuing
Education
(48 hours)

College Courses
Hour for hour credit can be applied for college courses
that relate to your role as an EMS professional (for
example, but not limited to, anatomy, physiology,
biology, chemistry, pharmacology, psychology,
sociology, statistics, etc.)

Cheers ^_^

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well... my job here is done...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
There will be good CE that can be found in a Hazmat course... but college level courses that are more directly applicable to patient care are usually also acceptable for CE. Check with your certifying body to see what they require or allow.

As a medic, if a college course is somehow related to patient care, I get 15 hours CE for each 1 semester unit... but that's how California EMSA has it figured. One year I took an A&P course as a refresher and a microbiology course. That was something like 9 or 10 semester units that year... So I applied that to my renewal... and had well over 150 Hours when I renewed.

If you have a separate license or certificate for patient care, you may be able to use CE for that other license as CE for your EMT renewal, but again, check with your licensing/certifying body for approval.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
As others have said, it is dependent on the state. You're best off submitting for the credit early in the year, and waiting to see what you get back. My suggestion is to send a copy of your transcript (with proof you completed the class and/or a grade), with a copy of the syllabus, and a letter requesting credit, and your certification number and contact information.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
the gordian solution

How about calling the agency in charge of EMS for your state and asking them?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief