Care Ambulance

BeyondMyScope

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, I recently interviewed with Care Ambulance in Orange, CA. I haven't heard back yet, but I think the interview went fairly well. Before the interview, an HR rep explained to us that we would have our pick of four base stations if hired (i.e. Orange, Santa Fe Springs, Baldwin Park, or Irwindale). I have been to/ talked to EMTs from both the Orange and Santa Fe Springs base stations, but I know nothing about Baldwin Park or Irwindale (in fact, I didn't even know Care had more than two base stations prior to my interview). I'm pretty sure I want to work L.A. County, and Baldwin Park and Irwindale offer the shortest commute. I'm just wondering what the differences are between base stations. I imagine the culture, resources, facilities, etc. are unique at each. I'm just wondering if there are any current/ former Care employees out there that can tell me what factors I should consider when picking a base station... Like, is there one I want to avoid? Or one that is particularly desirable? Maybe I'm over-thinking this, but any advice is appreciated.

ThundahMed

Forum Probie
Glad the interview went well!

No real difference in culture or resources, other than the obvious. Starting out you’ll most likely be on a day car (10 Hour Shifts) and work the surrounding areas from base. Either way, you build up seniority hours. I’d say just factor in commute when deciding. Best of luck!

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I’d stay away from OC. Not that the operation is bad or the culture is different, but I’d much rather run calls with LACFD than OCFA.

My personal opinion is that the SGV is a good place to start. There’s a lot of diversity in the areas that Care now covers. You can run calls in sleepy San Dimas You can run calls all the way up the Canyon in Azusa or Glendora or you can get down and dirty on the streets of Pomona.

I’m a big proponent for finding the shortest commute you can. I think the SGV is a good start and if you don’t like it you can always pick up shifts anywhere from San Clemente to La Cresenta.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The answer is Texas, where you can actually do cool things like medicine.

Foxem

Forum Probie
I don't work for Care, nor do I live in any of those areas, but I have done a large number of ride-alongs with LA County Fire in Baldwin Park. First off, Baldwin Park isn't exactly the nicest area. Which means you'll be getting some great calls if you work ALS. I went on a few stabbings/ gsw's while I was there. In my short experience, it seems the poorer the area, the more interesting the calls, which is great if you were looking for experience. Secondly, the first In-N-Out ever made is in Baldwin Park, and the burgers are awesome. That little fact alone would be enough to get me to choose the Baldwin Park station.

Unfortunately, that's all I have to offer. Good Burgs and good calls in Baldwin Park. Congrats on the interview, and I hope everything goes well for you!

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Hey what contract eoa did care just get awarded in orange county? Its all over falck’s social media except the zone/cities

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I’ll be so happy if it’s Laguna Beach.