Care ambulance hiring paramedics

Danner777

Forum Probie
Just saw a job posting for paramedics with care ambulance in Los angeles county. I was wondering if any care employees on here have any info on the program, I.E. Pay, IFT vs backup 911, special event staffing. Thanks for the info!!

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I heard it was only going to be two Medic shifts out of SFS. ALS transfers. Starting pay at $17hr. Unsure of the 24 rate. I didn't think the program was up and running yet.

With OCFA wanting to start using private Medics and CARE sweeping the OC bids, it could be a goodtime to get hired by them.

OP
OP
D

Danner777

Forum Probie
I heard it was only going to be two Medic shifts out of SFS. ALS transfers. Starting pay at $17hr. Unsure of the 24 rate. I didn't think the program was up and running yet.

With OCFA wanting to start using private Medics and CARE sweeping the OC bids, it could be a goodtime to get hired by them.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I Dont think anybody knows yet. It's going to go to a pilot program first. Hopefully, it's set up like Riverside or San Bernardino, but if I know OCFA, it'll be Fire responding Code 3 while the private medics respond Code 2. OC is super screwy right now. Dr. Stratton is really pushing for changes, but OC's really stuck in the past.

http://voiceofoc.org/2014/12/fire-authority-to-try-private-paramedics/

http://emtlife.com/threads/ocfa-to-try-private-paramedics-for-911-transport.40131/

According to the OCEMS website, they just finished recruitment for an evaluation committee for an upcoming Emergency Ambulance RFP. Which is interesting, since bids were finalized only a few months ago.

Hopefully someone that's a little more knowledgable than I comes across this thread.

OP
OP
D

Danner777

Forum Probie
Wow, sounds interesting. Thanks for the info. I have a lot of respect for care. I know they have good equipment and treat their guys n gals well, but the grass always looks greener on the other side for me. I am seriously considering applying.

OP
OP
D

Danner777

Forum Probie
Also, I know my company was not successful in gaining an oc contract this last go around in November. I wonder if this will get them back in the race for OC.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Wow, sounds interesting. Thanks for the info. I have a lot of respect for care. I know they have good equipment and treat their guys n gals well, but the grass always looks greener on the other side for me. I am seriously considering applying.

the medic program goes live today 1/11/15. my inside man starts his first als shift tuesday. we'll see what happens.

mufasa is on the right track considering i know his source to be reliable as well. but i believe it's 3 als 24s all on A-B-C kelly schedule. the craigslist ad is the first i heard of the 10hr cars. one of the shifts may be stationed out of their Irwindale deployment.

danner i do agree the grass can always look greener. my resume is screwy as it is i've been searching for the "perfect" medic job/company all of 2014. i always said if care got medics i'd go back to care, but i think me personally i need to stay where i'm at for resume sake and just finish school. then company hopping because of who may win or lose contracts will be a thing of my past. haha.

OP
OP
D

Danner777

Forum Probie
I always said the same thing about care and if they had medics I'd be there. I'm Pretty happy with my medic gig here at Mc. Pay is always the big question and 17/hr on a 24 sounds nice. I can only imagine their equipment is probably top notch as well.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
I always said the same thing about care and if they had medics I'd be there. I'm Pretty happy with my medic gig here at Mc. Pay is always the big question and 17/hr on a 24 sounds nice. I can only imagine their equipment is probably top notch as well.
17/hr is their 10hr rate i hear (cannot confirm). its adjusted for the 24 probably to something i hear your guys make on a 24.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Did Care ever adopt a 8-24hr shift flex pay rate for their BLS crews like other companies did?

Angel

Paramedic
IF care is anything like falck (they are owned by the same people) then the 24 hour rate is $16 to $17, 12hr is $22 8hr is $26, so it is possible. But again, that's just what falck is. CARE could be different.

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
Medic is only a $1 raise!? How do they retain medics?

I thought Schaefer's $12.50hr was bad.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Yikes, I make more than that as an EMT right now in my FD AO job...otherwise I'm definitely lurking in this thread with interest lol. While I don't currently have a medic license, I hope to start school either fall or next spring semester....I know, still a long time before I'd be in a position to even think about applying for medic jobs, but once I'm there, I'd love a part time medic job until I can get that magical elusive fire job lol So I'm always interested to hear how McCormick, Schaefer, AMR, and now Care treat their medics....while AMR Rancho would probably end up being my first choice (as of right now) for a local private medic gig....if Care does good things that could easily change my calculus lol (I say as I still hope that by the time I get my medic I'll be riding a Squad instead haha :)