can't get a job

crubs

Forum Probie
This is my first post, so let me introduce myself:
-I'm 21
-Got Asperger's (makes me very awkward in interviews)
-Have some volunteer experience, but have never been formally employed... in anything...
-Am a Biology student with a 3.8 GPA, only a few more classes to go
-I was a top student in my EMT course

I got certified with the NREMT back in April, and have hardly even had any oppertunities to do anything. I live in southern Washington, and am qualified to work in oregon. I've applied to a local fire station (I was denied because I couldn't make a 10 minute mile), Metro West (scored a first interview, but was denied), Community Ambulance (wheelchair transportation only, but they denied me without even look at my resume).

Most recently I've applied to volunteer at a free clinic, but I'm not feeling optimistic. I'd like to apply to AMR, but they never have open position for EMT-Bs in the area, and when they do, they're gone in a flash.

I'm very frustrated and very bummed. I've looked at hospitals, but didn't see any positions where I might employ my skills. I don't know what to do. I really want to begin my career as a medical professional, but I'm having a really difficult time getting my foot in the door.

Any advice?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Keep trying. It took me 13 - months to get my first EMT job. The market is bad. Consider things that you may be doing; get peer review; practice interviews; start exercising (10 min mile is really slow).

Last edited by a moderator:

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Back when I first got my EMT Cert, it took me something like 4-6 MONTHS to get a job, and that was when the market was reasonably decent. You have to just keep at it. If you give up looking for an EMT job, you'll never find one because one won't fall into your lap. You have to keep working on yourself, work on polishing your interview skills (completely different skill-set than EMS), work on those squishy interpersonal skills, and so on. Keep applying. Don't just look at ambulance positions, look everywhere. You may find that there's a job that requires EMT training/certs that isn't a traditional EMS job.

OP
OP
C

crubs

Forum Probie
You may find that there's a job that requires EMT training/certs that isn't a traditional EMS job.

I'd be happy to fill one of those positions. I've looked at ER positions and morgue transport but didn't find anything. Any other suggestions?

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Look at IFT, ER tech, 911 service, fire (including volunteer or "sleeper" programs), paratransit, home healthcare… Anything that will look good on a resume.

Asperger's will absolutely make it tougher for you to get a job. Whether that's right or not is besides the point; prejudices against people who are different, regardless of their skills, still exists. Get around it by getting experience and meeting/developing relationships with people who may be able to help you get a foot in the door with other jobs. It's not about who you are, but who you know.

Skittles

Forum Probie
Just keep trying! It took me 7 months to get my first interview. I'm currently waiting for a call back to confirm employment. In that 7 months I volunteered at a company that I had done my ride alongs with.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
1. Don't rely on self-diagnosis if that what you are doing. Being socially awkward is something most of normal people have to some degree. Even then, "press to your best", strive to meet the technical aspects.

2. If people skills are not your forte, then keep quiet and do a heck of a job technically. Remember to reassure patients and family, and ease off the technical talk to them. Some phrases will be helpful which you can memorize such as "The hospital will have a better final diagnosis", or "Your doctor ought to answer that". Or qualify but not amplify; "Might be broken" usually works, but lay off the science.

I wish you an understanding partner who doesn't need to have things spelled out in excruciating detail but can take it without getting bored or feeling someone is being a know-it-all.

Skittles

Forum Probie
I just walked into where I had done my ride alongs and asked. I didn't do a formal interview. Maybe I had just impressed them.

ThundahMed

Forum Probie
Stay Strong

Keep on trying.

I'm going to have to take the EMT refresher course in a few months since it's been almost two years since I passed my EMT-B course and the NREMT, yet still haven't been able to find a job.

It's easy to get discouraged but I've found that volunteer hours will just look better on resumes and keep your EMT skills sharp. Like the ones above said, keep applying and look into non-traditional EMT jobs in your area.

wowmulewow

Forum Probie
The best thing you can do is get experience under your belt. It took me 7 months to get a paid gig in EMS. During that 7 month gap between certification and employment, I volunteered at a department. Experience is experience, paid or not. Like others said, its a bad market. You are competing with people who have years of experience in this field vs. your months. Keep at it. Build a good resume. And most importantly, keep learning and expanding your knowledge. Good luck! Fair Winds, and Following Seas.