Canadian Flight Medic Photos

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
This is a great photo series that I think everyone can enjoy.

He is a flight medic in the northern Canadian arctic, and apparently a good photographer too.

As a photographer and a medic I love these.

https://imgur.com/a/T54Kc

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I found these a while back and loved them. Thank you for posting them again

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
This is a different series than the one he posted last year. Check it out.

Lol oops. Goes to show i could look at the link before aaauming it's the same one. Imgur just isn't loading rigjt in my phone tonight. Same photographer?

OP
OP
NPO

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Lol oops. Goes to show i could look at the link before aaauming it's the same one. Imgur just isn't loading rigjt in my phone tonight. Same photographer?

I don't know what you saw a while back, but where he posted them on redit he said he posted a similar series last year that got rave reviews.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I saw the older set on Flickr i belive. Looks to be the same guy. Hes good

Reactions: NPO

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I saw the older set on Flickr i belive. Looks to be the same guy. Hes good

I'm no photography buff, but those are some killer shots. I can't help but feel the need to give Mother Nature her just due for providing such gorgeous backgrounds though.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
The company is hiring Flight Nurses and Flight Paramedics at the moment according to their site. Fly in/out from any Canadian airport with crew housing if anyone's interested in seeing those views in person.
How does reciprocity work for U.S. flight folks?

Does Canada recognize certs such as the FP-C, and CFRN?

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
It's provincial jurisdiction for things like that, problem is, the Territories don't have their own regulators for Paramedics (I think). Best bet if actually interested would be to talk to the company directly. Based on their website they're not particular over which province you're certified in so they may know the best route. Give the Paramedic Association of Canada NOCP's a look over under their Critical Care Paramedic levels, that's generally the benchmark for accreditation.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's provincial jurisdiction for things like that, problem is, the Territories don't have their own regulators for Paramedics (I think). Best bet if actually interested would be to talk to the company directly. Based on their website they're not particular over which province you're certified in so they may know the best route. Give the Paramedic Association of Canada NOCP's a look over under their Critical Care Paramedic levels, that's generally the benchmark for accreditation.
Cool deal, thank you. It was more generalized for anyone else interested. While I would love to do something like that, it's probably not a reality for me.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm torn with what I want to do long term in my career. I work for a fantastic service that is both clinically progressive and embracing Community Paramedicine through an evidence driven approach (every program we have in this area is part of a study). On one hand I'm drawn to the clinical environment of transport medicine and could be really happy doing a job like that one. On the other, I really enjoy the mixed social/medical side of providing care in the home and on the street where my best care might be patient education and a referral.

Fly in to a remote job like that certainly has some appeal. Better for family life than moving my son with me up north which is what a job with ORNGE would have entailed.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The company is hiring Flight Nurses and Flight Paramedics at the moment according to their site. Fly in/out from any Canadian airport with crew housing if anyone's interested in seeing those views in person.
Oh man.

Lana

Forum Probie
Those photos are awesome!

CWATT

Forum Lieutenant
How does reciprocity work for U.S. flight folks?

Does Canada recognize certs such as the FP-C, and CFRN?

Canada has three levels of 'regulators'. As stated, the Paramedic Association of Canada developed the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCPs) for EMRs, PCPs, ACPs, and CCPs. This is only a recommended framework. Each province has a regulator. Alberta and Saskatchewan have independent College of Paramedics' ($$$) and the other provinces have a division within the government, usually the Ministry of Health (typically free). The provinces outline the scope of practice and for the most part reflect the NOCPs but there is significant provincial variation. Lastly there is the individual employer. Their medical director may choose to allow the paramedics to work to the full provincial scope or limit it but not exceed it.

Now here's the proverbial wrench. The three Canadian territories (Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut) are federal and therefore do not have a regulator. However, it's been my experience that most employers in these regions require registration in one of the provinces, typically Alberta.

Re: the Agreement of Internaitonal Trade (AIT) and Labour Mobility. Speaking from experience, it can be easy or an absolute nightmare depending which province you're moving from/to. I don't know the exact US to Canada process, but I know some provinces will do a Scope of Practice review. I've seen fees in the area of $500 for this.

Your best bet would be to start with the potential employer and work back from there.

Note: For reference, a PCP is equvilant to an EMT-Advanced.

Re: flight certifications, to the best of my knowledge the only province that deliniates their paramedic scopes to indicate 'flight' is Ontario.

Another point of consideration is that there are bridging pathways if you have a Bachelor's degree as a Registered Nurse (RN). They consider this equvilant to a Critical Care Paramedic (CCP) but I do not know what additional testing/training may or may not be required.

Last edited:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Canada has three levels of 'regulators'. As stated, the Paramedic Association of Canada developed the National Occupational Competency Profiles (NOCPs) for EMRs, PCPs, ACPs, and CCPs. This is only a recommended framework. Each province has a regulator. Alberta and Saskatchewan have independent College of Paramedics' ($$$) and the other provinces have a division within the government, usually the Ministry of Health (typically free). The provinces outline the scope of practice and for the most part reflect the NOCPs but there is significant provincial variation. Lastly there is the individual employer. Their medical director may choose to allow the paramedics to work to the full provincial scope or limit it but not exceed it.

Now here's the proverbial wrench. The three Canadian territories (Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut) are federal and therefore do not have a regulator. However, it's been my experience that most employers in these regions require registration in one of the provinces, typically Alberta.

Re: the Agreement of Internaitonal Trade (AIT) and Labour Mobility. Speaking from experience, it can be easy or an absolute nightmare depending which province you're moving from/to. I don't know the exact US to Canada process, but I know some provinces will do a Scope of Practice review. I've seen fees in the area of $500 for this.

Your best bet would be to start with the potential employer and work back from there.

Note: For reference, a PCP is equvilant to an EMT-Advanced.

Re: flight certifications, to the best of my knowledge the only province that deliniates their paramedic scopes to indicate 'flight' is Ontario.

Another point of consideration is that there are bridging pathways if you have a Bachelor's degree as a Registered Nurse (RN). They consider this equvilant to a Critical Care Paramedic (CCP) but I do not know what additional testing/training may or may not be required.

Manitoba has a specific Flight ACP license.
The mobility between provinces is pretty easy. The fees are usually just licensing which everyone has to pay. So far in my career Ive been licensed in 5 provinces and 2 states. I had zero issue getting reciprocity in NS, BC, AB and MB. I also have my flight ACP for MB.
The NWT has no ems regulation currently though I hear it is coming down the line. I know a few medics that work for the service depicted in the pictures.

I was also able to transfer a US EMS degree into canada if anyone has any questions about the process.