Canada, eh?

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
I guess so. I don't mean to say that there is no chance for an EMT-B to challenge the A-EMCA, but it definitely isn't something that is going to happen for someone who has gone through 150ish hours of training compared to Ontario's two year college program.

If a CMA accredited EMT out of Alberta is the equivalent of a PCP in Ontario then it doesn't sound like Ontario's 2 yr college course is all that hot being as an EMT can take as little as 3 months plus practicum in Alberta.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
If a CMA accredited EMT out of Alberta is the equivalent of a PCP in Ontario then it doesn't sound like Ontario's 2 yr college course is all that hot being as an EMT can take as little as 3 months plus practicum in Alberta.
The way it "sounds" and the way it is are two different things. You can't make that judgement until you see if they pass the A-EMCA or not. Most Alberta EMTs wouldn't have a chance.

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
The way it "sounds" and the way it is are two different things. You can't make that judgement until you see if they pass the A-EMCA or not. Most Alberta EMTs wouldn't have a chance.

I have to disagree AJ I have seen a lot worse coming from east to west than the other way around.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Alberta EMT courses are accredited by the Canadian Medical Association as Primary Care Paramedic. In Alberta the Emergency Medical Technologist - Paramedic courses are accredited by CMA as Advance Care Paramedic. In Alberta to obtain certification as a PCP is shorter then ACP The ACP programs are the ones that are 2 yrs in length with the PCP being roughly 6 months. Anyone from Ontario know how long your ACP courses are. As well Canadian Forces medics are trained at the PCP level at that does not take 2 yrs to complete it's closer to the time frame of Alberta PCP courses.

Last edited by a moderator:

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
From what I understand the registration exams from the Alberta College of Paramedics is one of the toughest in Canada. The U.S. Equivalent of the PCP is EMT-I not paramedic. The ACP is the equivalent of a U.S. paramedic. as well most if not all PCP courses are accredited by the Canadian Medical Association using the same standards for all courses.

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
Alberta EMT courses are accredited by the Canadian Medical Association as Primary Care Paramedic. In Alberta the Emergency Medical Technologist - Paramedic courses are accredited by CMA as Advance Care Paramedic. In Alberta to obtain certification as a PCP is shorter then ACP The ACP programs are the ones that are 2 yrs in length with the PCP being roughly 6 months. Anyone from Ontario know how long your ACP courses are. As well Canadian Forces medics are trained at the PCP level at that does not take 2 yrs to complete it's closer to the time frame of Alberta PCP courses.

If I'm not mistaken i believe you need a 4 year BSc in paramedicine for ACP in Ontario do you not?

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I have to disagree AJ I have seen a lot worse coming from east to west than the other way around.
I'm not talking about competence. I'm talking about the ability to pass the A-EMCA. Most Alberta EMTs would not do it with only their EMT training. Conversely, most Ontario PCPs would pass the ACoP EMT exam in their sleep. That said, at the ACP/Paramedic level, that statistic might possibly flip-flop.

If I'm not mistaken i believe you need a 4 year BSc in paramedicine for ACP in Ontario do you not?
No. Most schools offering the ACP don't even offer a BSc. And the BSc can be completed at the PCP level without even taking the ACP curriculum.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
As well Canadian Forces medics are trained at the PCP level at that does not take 2 yrs to complete it's closer to the time frame of Alberta PCP courses.

Is this very recent? I've worked with some Canadian army medics who were Level 1 MFRs (as far as I remember!)

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
If you check the CF web site you will see that cf medics are trained in 2 parts. Part 1 is done by CF at CFB Borden. Part 2 is done at JIBC's paramedic academy. JIBC's paramedic academy is CMA accredited.

I talked to one of my CF friends on msn and he says you're half right. Apparently not all CFMTs get the stage 2 training, it is based on need, class sizes, etc. Apparently the stage 2 at JIBC was implemented in those cases where the military respond to domestic emergencies so that they meet the local governing standards. Field medics according to him rarely have more than their BMOcc training, which isn't recognized outside of the CF.

username1

Forum Probie
I recently took an EMR course in Alberta and I passed the provincial written and practical exams. I have applied to take the SAIT EMT program in the fall. In the meantime I would like to get a job working as an EMR somewhere? Does anyone know if any industrial companies or ambulance services are still hiring EMRs? I know that some companies like HSE for example have laid off alot of medics due to the oilfield being slow in AB right now. What kind of earnings can one expect at the EMR level and what about when I have my EMT certification? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.:)

Kinda slow these days. I am an Alberta EMR, worked through the winter drilling season but I haven't been working since I got back from the jobsite last week. the oilpatch has been slow, that's for sure, and with the economy and all.

Take the EMT course in SAIT.. better opportunity around as an EMT/PCP!

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
Try Caroline Ambulance service, they hire EMRs. I think the daily stipend is $110/day. It's alright to get some experience.

xlq771

Forum Probie
The Ontario Ministry of Health only recognizes the US/NREMT-Paramedic for reciprocity, at the PCP level.

www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/pcp_equiv.html

Alberta EMT that come to Ontario do not write the AEMCA exam. All PCP from provinces that signed the Agreement on Internal Trade write a 3 hour theory exam for AIT equivelancy, and complete 4 practical scenarios. Those that pass are deemed equivelant to the Ontario AEMCA, and are issued AEMCA certificates, without having taken the AEMCA exam.

www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ehs/edu/ait_pcp.html

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
Saskatchewan is unionized and right now the pay scale for primary care paramedics starts out at $20/hr and goes to $25/hr!

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I recently took an EMR course in Alberta and I passed the provincial written and practical exams. I have applied to take the SAIT EMT program in the fall. In the meantime I would like to get a job working as an EMR somewhere? Does anyone know if any industrial companies or ambulance services are still hiring EMRs? I know that some companies like HSE for example have laid off alot of medics due to the oilfield being slow in AB right now. What kind of earnings can one expect at the EMR level and what about when I have my EMT certification? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.:)

In all honesty, there's really not much in the way of work for an EMR other than as a first responder on the oil rigs, or with a private patient transfer company.

I, myself, was thinking of heading up to the oilsands to do some beginning EMS work there while earning some decent money to save up for and EMT program in a couple years. But you are right, a lot of the EMS staff for private rig prehospital medical care have been laid off due to the dip in the economy.

spnx

Forum Crew Member
I know it's made the news recently and it's true. There's no economic slowdown here in Saskatchewan.

They're hiring EMRs at Agrium Vanscoy for $28/hr. You also work security there as well.