Canada, eh?

BEorP

Forum Captain
What I mean is these people apparently got their cert in New York and lived in Canada to work. The guy told me that they did it because "it was cheaper" to go to school in NY than in Canada. The whole conversation started because we were all talking about BC. Anyhow, there must be SOME kind of reciprocity agreement between NYS and Canada or why do it at all? Perhaps this is something new? Buffalo is apparently pretty close to the border. I'm no expert but other than reciprocity I can't understand why there would be so many Canadian students taking EMT courses in NY and then working in Canada. I live no where near either area but, subby may want to check it out never the less.

EMS is a provincial thing, but I will say one last time that there is no reciprocity for an EMT-B certification in Ontario. The simple fact is that it is not equivalent to a two year Primary Care Paramedic program.

The only Ontarians I know of who have EMT-B certs did so because they couldn't get into paramedic school in Ontario and were under the false impression that someone in Ontario might think that it mattered. In terms of job prospects they will be stuck working at a patient transfer service that only requires the 40 hour First Responder course.

Sorry to be blunt, but it is the truth. A 120 hour course is not the same as two years in college.

SmokeyBear

Forum Crew Member
EMS is a provincial thing, but I will say one last time that there is no reciprocity for an EMT-B certification in Ontario. The simple fact is that it is not equivalent to a two year Primary Care Paramedic program.

The only Ontarians I know of who have EMT-B certs did so because they couldn't get into paramedic school in Ontario and were under the false impression that someone in Ontario might think that it mattered. In terms of job prospects they will be stuck working at a patient transfer service that only requires the 40 hour First Responder course.

Sorry to be blunt, but it is the truth. A 120 hour course is not the same as two years in college.

Be blunt as you like, it's no sweat off my back :) I'm not the one who went to NY from Canada to get a cert. If they are now, as you say, employed at a "patient transfer service" than perhaps that's all they wanted to begin with. If the services in the area are private they may even pay decent. Since subby mentioned EMT-B and not paramedic program, than perhaps it makes no difference to him as well. That being said, if the "Patient transfer service" takes American EMT-B certs than the certs are not completely "worthless" in your country.

Last edited by a moderator:

BEorP

Forum Captain
The bottom line: you cannot work on an ambulance in Ontario based on an EMT-B certification.

SmokeyBear

Forum Crew Member
The bottom line: you cannot work on an ambulance in Ontario based on an EMT-B certification.

But, you can do other things-- as you mentioned in your previous post. There are some cities here in the states that will not employ EMT-B's but, private transport services that will. Again, subby mentioned "work" with an "EMT-B" cert. If transports or "patient transfer services" are all that's available, than perhaps it makes no difference to him one way or another :)

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
So have things changed in BC because my step-dad is a Canadian who is now an American Resident, but he always told me that it was so much more expensive to live up their, not just housing, but groceries, especially gas... Plus I live in Bellingham, WA and I see a ton of Canadians always visiting here.
BC is cheap try living in the Northwest Territories we are a more expensive place to live for example at the store a 4 litre of 2%(thats a gallon to the us readers) is 7.29.

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief

in western Canada an EMTB is equal to a EMR and one can only work industrial and pt transfer maybe EMS in rural communities. For larger centres they generally require EMT/PCP to work EMS. Working industrial the pay is for EMR in Alberta I've seen between 220to300 a day the 300 a day is actually 250/day plus 50/day for food. In Alberta the EMT courses are classified as Primary Care Paramedic by the Canadian Medical Association.

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
To Jochi: I haven't heard exactly how they are going to standardize it, but alot of us are union. So, I'm pretty surethe union is gonna do everything in their power to make sure noone's wages go down. Edmonton EMT's are making around $24/hr. And, I'm betting if their pay goes DOWN, they are gonna flip.

its 25.39$ an hour for the starting pay step with edmonton as an EMT-A (EMT-I)

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Some EMT-P courses in the US are only $5000. - $6000. compare to $15000. for an ACP course. For some it is cheaper to go to the US for school and pay living expenses than stay in Canada. Many provinces have some reciprocity for the EMT-P cert. If you live near the border there may be some living and/or tax benefits to live on one side and work on the other.

megs14

Forum Ride Along
certified in AB want to be in BC!

I am currently an EMT working in Alberta. I moved from BC to do my schooling here as it was cheaper and you make more money in Alberta. I'm now considering moving back to BC to work there and I'm just wondering if any of you know if it's possible to do that. I know it was being talking about having an equivilancy exam to make it easier on people to work between provinces. Anyways any information would be greatly appreciated!

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
I am currently an EMT working in Alberta. I moved from BC to do my schooling here as it was cheaper and you make more money in Alberta. I'm now considering moving back to BC to work there and I'm just wondering if any of you know if it's possible to do that. I know it was being talking about having an equivilancy exam to make it easier on people to work between provinces. Anyways any information would be greatly appreciated!
As I understand it if your emt course is CMA accredited you can work anywhere in Canada. That is after you take the licensing exam in the province you wish to practice in. Btw an accredited Alberta EMT course is listed as a primary care paramedic by the CMA. An accredited EMT P course in Alberta is listed as an advanced care paramedic by CMA.

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
Nice discussion going here. Yes even in Saskatchewan an EMT-B is about the equivalent of the EMR's here but you may be required to do some kind of bridge. Other wise the Levels are PCP/ICP/ACP. And as a PCP where I work I make $80,000/yr; Northern Saskatchewan!

ab_emr

Forum Ride Along
I recently took an EMR course in Alberta and I passed the provincial written and practical exams. I have applied to take the SAIT EMT program in the fall. In the meantime I would like to get a job working as an EMR somewhere? Does anyone know if any industrial companies or ambulance services are still hiring EMRs? I know that some companies like HSE for example have laid off alot of medics due to the oilfield being slow in AB right now. What kind of earnings can one expect at the EMR level and what about when I have my EMT certification? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.:)

jochi1543

Forum Captain
I recently took an EMR course in Alberta and I passed the provincial written and practical exams. I have applied to take the SAIT EMT program in the fall. In the meantime I would like to get a job working as an EMR somewhere? Does anyone know if any industrial companies or ambulance services are still hiring EMRs? I know that some companies like HSE for example have laid off alot of medics due to the oilfield being slow in AB right now. What kind of earnings can one expect at the EMR level and what about when I have my EMT certification? Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.:)

You can find a lot of this info on the ACP website: collegeofparamedics.org. Go to the "employment" section to look for jobs.

As far as pay...rural hourly ranges from $10-$16, industrial daily is $200-300.

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
EMS in Canada for Michigan EMS'r.

I tried this in Ontario several years ago & had a run around from their MOH. If you have the NREMT from the States that is looked upon with great regard. They compare your training to that which is recognized by the CMA (Canadian Medical Assoc.) The one thing that may help is if you tell them you have a fiance' that is a Canadian citizen & wants to return to her/his home Province. I know this sounds low but it may help your cause. As of 5 yrs. ago it'll cost you around $60.00 Canadian with a cheque made out to the Minister of Finance. Send everything certified mail, or hand deliver it to 5600 N. Yonge Street North York,Ontario 6th floor. You'll have to go through a period of waiting for their personnel to review your application/documents/etc. In Ontario they'll send you a letter confirming acceptance, or not. You make an appointment with the MOH on Yonge Street when they have testing scheduled & you'll go through a battery of written exams, then the practicals. It used to be you had to become an EMCA (basic attendant) first. Then progress to the Advanced EMCA level. Now I believe you go & test in at what-ever level your're equal to in Ontario PCP= Primary Care Paramedic = EMT-B ACP=Advance Care = Paramedic & CCP=Critical Care = Flight Paramedic or a medic who uses ventilators, baloon Pumps etc. Learn how to speak french as well, even though Ontario is mostly Anglophone, it'll give you points if you make it for your work permits with HRDC. Bonne Chance/Good Luck!!

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Ontario EMS

Things must have changed. That is what Cathey Francis from the MOH told me when I was looking to test into work at Thames EMS

BEorP

Forum Captain
I guess so. I don't mean to say that there is no chance for an EMT-B to challenge the A-EMCA, but it definitely isn't something that is going to happen for someone who has gone through 150ish hours of training compared to Ontario's two year college program.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
From things I've seen on this site, EMT-B is more like an EMR. I don't think Ontario has EMRs.

canuckm27

Forum Ride Along
In the community I live in the medics make over 30 dollars per hour. I think at the end of the contract which is next year it will be around 35. This is Southern Ontario

spnx

Forum Crew Member
From things I've seen on this site, EMT-B is more like an EMR. I don't think Ontario has EMRs.

I'm pretty certain they have Medical First Responder Level 2, which is the same certification as EMR, just a different name.

P.S. Hey to mdkemt! I'm in Saskatoon.