can you volunteer without the NREMT?

volleyball11

Forum Probie
In CT can you volunteer without the NREMT? I'm 16 so I'm not sure if I can take it.

MassEMT-B

Forum Captain
I am not sure about CT but if you need to take NREMT to become certified then you need to be 18. NREMT required you be 18 to test. Check the CT office of emergency medical services website. If it says anywhere it requires the NREMT to become certified then you can't volunteer now.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Enjoy the last couple years of no real responsibility. EMS will be there when you turn 18. Take it from someone who started volunteering at 15....no emergency is worth giving up the other great experiences that come with being a teenager.

Devilz311

Forum Crew Member
Not sure how CT works, but I went through the EMT-B course when I was 16, and was able to get an NJ EMT-B cert. NREMT has always been 18. When I took the written test, everyone else took the NREMT exam, and I took the NJ EMT-B test.

Tommerag

What day is it?
CT's application looks rather confusing. It says an applicant must be at least 16 to apply, but you must have passed the NREMT written which is 18 to take.

So I'm going to have to say no, you cant. Here's the link for the EMT-B CT application.

http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/ems/pdf/emsapp2a.pdf

XxGAMBLExX

Forum Probie
I know you can in Michigan. I started at 17, all you should have to do is sign a waiver of liability saying if you get sick or injured while riding, you can't sue the company you're volunteering with.

18G

Paramedic
Enjoy the last couple years of no real responsibility. EMS will be there when you turn 18. Take it from someone who started volunteering at 15....no emergency is worth giving up the other great experiences that come with being a teenager.

Definitely agree... that is some good advice. I started volunteering when I was 14 and was the typical teen-age, junior member "whacker". It's cool to volunteer as a teen-ager just don't get consumed with it and enjoy the other teen-ager stuff... long as ya don't get into too much trouble :)

XxGAMBLExX

Forum Probie
it's okay to be a junior coder guys. :) I do agree, enjoy the next couple years, but you can still be a junior coder.