Can Medics be wrong?

EMTDON970

Forum Crew Member
medic mistake

A medic making a mistake??? NO!!!!!!!!!

emtlady76877

Forum Crew Member
Yes a medic can make a mistake. As a paramedic student I think an EMT should ask questions in a professional manner that makes him or her think you want to learn and at the same time it will point out their mistake if they are making one.

Last edited by a moderator:

RESQ_5_1

Forum Lieutenant
I try to treat each pt with the same level of respect regardless of any behavior they exhibit. As VentMedic said, I find a pleasent attitude and trying to speak to them calmly can usually defuse their behavior. If not, at least i got to be the grown-up during the entire ordeal.

I have used the "drop test" a few times. generally, I hold it above the forehead. And, only about 3-4 inches above. It doesn't make a hard impact. I'm only trying to determine where the landing will be.

As far as deliberately causing pain or discomfort to a drunk/belligerant/abusive/faking pt, I would hope that I would be self aware enough to remove myself from EMS when I get to the point that this becomes behavior I would be willing to try to justify. I used to work long-term care and actually had an Alzheimer's pt give me a black eye while I was trying to change his linens. Not because I did something to blatantly upset him, I worked graveyard and he just wanted to sleep. I simply walked out of the room until my anger dissipated. Then, I went back in and finished my job.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Wow. There are some pretty self righteous people in here.
Oh, you don't like the 18 in the back of your hand?
We have to start distal, and work proximal when it comes to IVs. Why is it so big? Well Sir, since you are extremely intoxicated, chances are you will need fluids given to you at the hospital, as well as medications to correct any electrolyte imbalances.

What, you don't like that green rubber thing in your nose?
I'm so sorry, you were demonstrating the signs of being unconscious. We have to protect your airway, to ensure you keep breathing.

You don't like that NG tube? Sorry sir, but you ingested a large amount of (name your substance here) and we may need to administer activated charcol to neutralize the effects of it.

That cathoter? Checking for blood in the urine sir. Also, you are in no condition to become mobile, so you can't get up to go to the bathroom.

Ron White said it the best, stupid should hurt.
All of those are painful, albeit necessary procedures.
If the pt. didn't want them done, they wouldn't have put them selves in that position in the first place.
And Reaper, you are too early for April Fools day. It is a well known procedure that is used by medical professionals everywhere.
What would you prefer?
Tickle them?<_<

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Its not the therapy that is at issue but the intent with which it is done. If it is your sole intention to hurt a patient because you don't like them or their lifestyle then you probably have no place in medicine. And, don't bother applying at for corrections or law enforcement because they would prefer not to have people who's only mission in life is to be judge, jury and executioner.

reaper

Working Bum
Wow. There are some pretty self righteous people in here.
Oh, you don't like the 18 in the back of your hand?
We have to start distal, and work proximal when it comes to IVs. Why is it so big? Well Sir, since you are extremely intoxicated, chances are you will need fluids given to you at the hospital, as well as medications to correct any electrolyte imbalances.

What, you don't like that green rubber thing in your nose?
I'm so sorry, you were demonstrating the signs of being unconscious. We have to protect your airway, to ensure you keep breathing.

You don't like that NG tube? Sorry sir, but you ingested a large amount of (name your substance here) and we may need to administer activated charcol to neutralize the effects of it.

That cathoter? Checking for blood in the urine sir. Also, you are in no condition to become mobile, so you can't get up to go to the bathroom.

Ron White said it the best, stupid should hurt.
All of those are painful, albeit necessary procedures.
If the pt. didn't want them done, they wouldn't have put them selves in that position in the first place.
And Reaper, you are too early for April Fools day. It is a well known procedure that is used by medical professionals everywhere.
What would you prefer?
Tickle them?<_<

Sorry, Haven't seen it used in years. There are better ways to determine LOC. As mentioned earlier, you have other choices to determine if they are faking. Sternal rub, graze the eyelashes, earlobe pinch, finger nail pinch, and the always famous comedy routine. Until you see damage done from a hand drop on a real LOC pt, you won't understand.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Sorry, Haven't seen it used in years. There are better ways to determine LOC. As mentioned earlier, you have other choices to determine if they are faking. Sternal rub, graze the eyelashes, earlobe pinch, finger nail pinch, and the always famous comedy routine. Until you see damage done from a hand drop on a real LOC pt, you won't understand.

Seen it used in ED, prehospital, and in the psych unit. From EMT to MD.
You pinch/rub a person, and they have a tendency to swing.

reaper

Working Bum
That's your choice. You are the provider on scene, you choose what method you use.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Seen it used in ED, prehospital, and in the psych unit. From EMT to MD.
You pinch/rub a person, and they have a tendency to swing.

Absolutely. I would rather explain why the guys own hand accidently hit him in the face than explain why I was pinching him. Now, I don't use the hand drop as a general LOC check. I use it when I see things that make be believe that the pt is most likely faking it. I don't do it to be mean or spiteful. A sternal rub is painful. I don't know how high you foilks are holding the hand to cause damage, but I've never seen it. Again, unless the guy has a grip on a brick, I think the hand drop is pretty tame.

reaper

Working Bum
You would be surprised at how little force it takes to fx a nose. I have seen it done. Lots of paperwork after the fact.

Sternal rubs are supposed to be painful, that is the response you want. But, they do not leave damage.

As I stated, you are the provider. It is your call on how to handle the pt. I have seen the results and will not use it. This was to inform the poster that there can be after affects to using it.

medic219

Forum Ride Along
All that P means is that we can do ten times the procedures as basics. That leaves you ten times the amount of things to screw up.

EMTDON970

Forum Crew Member
All that P means is that we can do ten times the procedures as basics. That leaves you ten times the amount of things to screw up.

Or 10 more ways to save a medic....:p

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
I am a little late on this post but here is how it works...medics are humans, humans make mistakes, therefore medics make mistakes.... I love my logic class, lol.