California Paramedic Reciprocity Questions

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I pulled the list of required documents from the state website for reciprocity, but I have several questions.
1: Do I need to get a letter stating 40 patient contacts from my employer, even with NREMT? My guess is yes, but I was wondering.

2: What is this local accreditation thing, and how does one go about it? Is it possible to get locally accredited without living there or actively being employed there?

3. Are there any odd critical-care certifications or licenses I should know about, do they want card courses, etc?

4. What are the requirements for EMT-B reciprocity (the website looks like it's just NREMT + BLS)?

I'm thinking of applying to something in Central or Northern CA. It sounds crazy, but Texas is getting old. Maybe I can trade a CA medic for my spot at Creek lol.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Don't do it, career homicide.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Unfortunately it's going to be very county specific for the majority of your questions.

For #2: your county may put on a class or they may have their contracted companies do the training. As for what is required, well that depends on what the county wants. For me it was a total of 16 hours. Topics went from 12/15 leads to EtCO2 to pacing and we covered every single protocol.

For #3: once again that will depend on the county that you are going to and the company. For my county in SoCal they only require BLS, ACLS. The company I work for also requires PALS and highly recommends a trauma course ITLS/PHTLS.

As for the reciprocity, I have no idea on. It's not something I have looked at.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
If I were you I would highly recommend (if you haven't already) to look at the CA state scope of practice for paramedics and see if you will be happy with a very limited scope and skills.

I pulled the list of required documents from the state website for reciprocity, but I have several questions.
1: Do I need to get a letter stating 40 patient contacts from my employer, even with NREMT? My guess is yes, but I was wondering.

2: What is this local accreditation thing, and how does one go about it? Is it possible to get locally accredited without living there or actively being employed there?

3. Are there any odd critical-care certifications or licenses I should know about, do they want card courses, etc?

4. What are the requirements for EMT-B reciprocity (the website looks like it's just NREMT + BLS)?

I'm thinking of applying to something in Central or Northern CA. It sounds crazy, but Texas is getting old. Maybe I can trade a CA medic for my spot at Creek lol.

Come to Santa Barbara. Mostly BLS fire, EMTs can run 911 calls even with a Paramedic on the ambulance, pit crew cpr, and decent scope.

Most of all, one of the most beautiful areas of California to live and work in. Ain't nobody got time for the hot ghetto....sorry Kern folks :(

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I doubt it, but a CAEMSA, or more specifically, a rep at whatever company/ ies you'd end up applying for can elaborate. I want to say no though, at least where I'm at; I've have out of state paramedic trainees and I don't believe they had to. It's been a while, so don't quote me on it.
2: What is this local accreditation thing, and how does one go about it?
Local accreditation will vary from county to county. Again, for us it's 10 ALS contacts with a county approved paramedic preceptor. That's left up to your employer, and once you get your paperwork signed off from said employer, you get your county card.
Is it possible to get locally accredited without living there or actively being employed there?
Couldn't tell you exactly. Maybe having been employed (as described above), leaving, or going part-time then, yes, you can keep your specific county card up.
@NPO sent me a pretty interesting link from their (CAEMSA's) website regarding a "critical care paramedic" in California.

That said, pretty much every paramedic on a ground CCT unit is hardly a CCP. Flight paramedics are a little different.

I don't know any companies aside from the major HEMS players who are CAMTS accredited looking for, and mandating specialty certs (e.g., CCP-C, FP-C).

This I do not know.
Honestly, I'd echo @Addrobo's remark regarding the Central Coast of California. If I ever moved back, I'd look at SLA in SLO. It's parallel to our company with its reputation, covers gorgeous areas of the state, and has standard CA ALS protocols (yep, most of the state is actually, marginally, better than LA).

I don't mean to bash my state, but career EMS here is almost unheard of. Yes, Hall and a few other places encourage this, but you're going to have to sacrifice in one way or another. Nothing's ever going to be exactly how you want it, even the proverbial "unicorn system", at least that's my spin.

We're always looking for good medics, so you're more than welcome to take a look into our system again. I like it overall, will I stay here forever? Who knows. I do know even if I actually did uproot my family and moved out of state, I'd have to go in knowing not all is gravy, or perfect at said system. No system I would know regardless of my research is going to shell out its low points.

Have you looked into Reno (REMSA), Ada County Idaho, Humboldt (NV) EMS, or even parts of Oregon? If you're outdoorsy they all have that. Just curious, and either way let us know what happens; good luck, Rocket.

Last edited:

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
One more thing worth noting RE: CA EMS

If any California native says "move out of LA and go to 'X' county to experience real EMS." they're FOS and have no clue what they're talking about, or what real, progressive EMS is or should look like.

From border to border, this state is decades behind many other states. I'm pretty sure if we traded, as you (jokingly) suggested, CCEMS is doing things I don't even do as a CA flight paramedic.

That whole grass is greener thing, brother, you know??...

OP
OP
RocketMedic

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
The blood and ketamine is cool, I'll admit. But I'm also angling towards using my fancy book learning, and Texas and a lot of other conservative states are...not quite as accommodating of teachers salaries and the like as California. I would be on a truck over the short to midterm, but I do have other irons in the fire. That and I really do think that our....esteemed president and government may well trigger social and economic calamity that pose a threat to my and my family's safety, and I reckon options can help with that. Not to sound alarmist, but I feel it is a legitimate concern.

I really don't know what I want to do.