California firefighter and police salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
They earned that money by putting in hundreds, maybe even thousands, of extra hours at work....
All jokes aside, this I agree with. Sure we all piss and moan about firefighters inflated salaries etc., but it's true that nothing's "just given", and I think we as a collective---especially private EMS---lose track of why it is that they get paid what they get paid.

I don't think it's not earned, I do think their unions have lobbied and fought for many of their benefits, including wages. Again, we (EMS) can't hold other services accountable for what we're paid.

There's my "back on topic" rant. The California stuff, eh, I don't care. I'm not a huge politically driven person to begin with. I live where I live, and if, or when I choose to move then so be it.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Again, if reimbursement rates were alot better than they are currently, I think private EMS would have no issues pressing forward with more attractive compensation towards its employees. In CA a recent bill for that matter was voted upon and did not pass. My brother who is an officer for a rather large force makes decent money but no where as much as some agencys which are in higher tax bracket areas. A friend of mine with LAPD went 4 years or so with out a raise and the OT was next to none in an effort to lower cost.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Yep. We are at a 23% reimbursement rate right now... also doesn't help my company shipped its billing department overseas..

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep. We are at a 23% reimbursement rate right now... also doesn't help my company shipped its billing department overseas..
Alot of agencys are doing that. I know LAFD had a major issue with a data breach where the billing was performed in India. Most parking tickets go out of state and I what I find interesting is alot of healthcare plans that cover California go all the way to Ky or some other state for processing. Cheaper labor?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Summit

Critical Crazy
Fleeing indeed. And the irony is that the same "refugees" bring the very mentality they are fleeing to where they re settle.
We just love it when CA folks come to our state because our taxes are less than half of CA's and we have more liberties and less regulations, then they ***** and moan and push for initiatives that will raise taxes and increase rules and regulations.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We just love it when CA folks come to our state because our taxes are less than half of CA's and we have more liberties and less regulations, then they ***** and moan and push for initiatives that will raise taxes and increase rules and regulations.
This exact thing has happened in NC over the past decade or so.

People come here from the northeast looking for lower taxes, less regulation, and a healthier economy. Then when they get here, they vote in legislators who want to raise taxes and increase regulations. WTF?

The state used to be very politically conservative, with low debt, a relatively light regulatory burden, and low taxes. It's now a left-leaning swing state, with debt and taxes rising steadily.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like people immigrating from the Middle East (Muslim nations): They want to come to the US for the freedom and then complain because we are different wanting to change the US to be like the countries that they left: If you want to change things so much STAY HOME AND CHANGE THERE

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Yeeeeah, this threads fitsin' ta' either get locked, or something. It's definitely becoming unnecessarily off track.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Sounds like people immigrating from the Middle East (Muslim nations): They want to come to the US for the freedom and then complain because we are different wanting to change the US to be like the countries that they left: If you want to change things so much STAY HOME AND CHANGE THERE

Thought I'd get this in before the hammer comes down...the key to managing immigrants/refugees is integration. Whether they're Californians coming to Idaho or Syrians coming to Albany. They need to be brought into the culture and assimilated. That doesn't mean giving up their entire identity, just those elements that are directly contrary and opposed to or antagonistic of their host country/state.

The United States is unique in the history of the world in it's ability to be the great equalizer of people. Are there warts? Yeah. But as long as everyone follows the rules, there's a place for anyone. Before anyone chimes in with slavery and native americans, those are two of the warts. But we have less than anyone else on the planet. It ain't great, but it's the best chance for freedom going right now.

OP
OP
zzyzx

zzyzx

Forum Captain

Well, although this is a country of immigrants, we also have a long history of demonizing outsiders. Consider how Italians used to be treated. Or how there used to be job adverts saying "Irish need to apply." We even put our own citizens, Japanese Americans, into interment camps. Never mind all the hatred that was directed against Jews, or how many thousands of Jewish lives could have been saved if we hadn't barred Jewish refugees from coming here.

I realize this is off topic, but I can't not respond to statements like this. If you are a healthcare provider, I think you don't want to go down that road of hating people for their religion, their place of birth, or whatever. You are going to be treating all sorts of people, so why not just treat them with kindness and empathy? It's probably also a good idea to turn off whatever hateful place you get your news from.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well, although this is a country of immigrants, we also have a long history of demonizing outsiders. Consider how Italians used to be treated. Or how there used to be job adverts saying "Irish need to apply." We even put our own citizens, Japanese Americans, into interment camps. Never mind all the hatred that was directed against Jews, or how many thousands of Jewish lives could have been saved if we hadn't barred Jewish refugees from coming here.

I realize this is off topic, but I can't not respond to statements like this. If you are a healthcare provider, I think you don't want to go down that road of hating people for their religion, their place of birth, or whatever. You are going to be treating all sorts of people, so why not just treat them with kindness and empathy? It's probably also a good idea to turn off whatever hateful place you get your news from.
Long sigh...............................
Others have outlined the ridiculous liberalisms that have turned California from a paradise like destination to chase the American dream into a place that most rational people are fleeing at alarming rates. So I won't get into that other than to say as a former Californian (born & raised) I can attest to the "Commiefornia" metaphor.

Also....Dude. It's 2017... not 1889 or 1942.

All of us know: We have blood stains on our history books, as does every other civilization in the history of mankind- ever!
We fight, we war, we kill... for food, for land, for sex, for resources, for politics, for religion, for hate, for labor, etc.
The first stone to be picked up was likely cast at another person.

That is the overwhelmingly truthful history of mankind with intermittent specks of peace and technological advancement.

And in that history, this nation is the most civil, advanced, and opportunity prone nation to ever grace the face of the Earth. Blood was spilled to achieve that feat of evolution; some of it just, some of it unjust. However, it lead us to where we are today. In fact, without it you would not be able sit there and proclaim your ideological nonsense without fear of retribution, in your air conditioned place of peace through your internet machine, because you'd be out hunting/gathering so you didn't starve to death whilst avoiding other tribal males who would likely enslave you (or worse). The utopia of world peace and kumbaya is not real in human nature or in nature, period.

Further blood will be spilled, so long as humans are in contact with other humans. Preserving the values and principles of this great nation is a just cause, if a few have to sacrifice. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, yet here in America even the "few" get a voice which in human history has never occurred previously without severe consequences or persecution for the "few."

This thread was not intended for this topic, but you insisted we take the political road with your outdated jabs at an admittedly tarnished history. We should be students of history, so that we are not doomed to repeat it. Yes, slavery and genocide are bad, and we should be nicer to each other and come together to ensure these things don't happen again. But the history of the world is war and killing, you can't erase that.

Self preservation should be priority number one. Let's see you open your doors at your house to a few military aged Islamic refugees... go ahead. Let me know how that works out for you.

I've lived in various places in the world. I assure you that bad things are out there- famine, slavery, human rights violations, death, torture, etc.... you have no idea how lucky you are to be in America and to be an American (presumably). You should be happy you have clean water on demand and the ability to speak your mind, among many other privileges this nation and its path has afforded to you.

I don't know you, your story, or your experiences, but I think your mindset is far off base from reality. Being a compassionate/empathetic paramedic has nothing to do with the US turning some Jewish immigrants away before the eruption of WW II in the 1930's. Perhaps you should watch something other than CNN.

Rant over.
(Can we get back on topic)

Last edited:

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
We even put our own citizens, Japanese Americans, into interment camps.

The thread is derailed anyway so....lots to unpack from this post but I'll just pick one thing, the above...As crappy a deal as that was, as unfair and cruel, that saved the lives of tens of thousands of Japanese Americans. After the accounts of hand to hand fighting in the PTO and reports of Japanese atrocities across Asia, Japanese Americans would have been slaughtered in the streets.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
@Chimpie we need your powers here. This is turning into ridiculously non-EMS related jargon. If I wanted a history lesson I'd join a history forum.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
lock.gif

adminsn1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.