Cali / LA Gurney van's requiring an EMT?!?

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
So just got hired with an L.A. Company,its a gurney van in every sense of the word.....but they hired me specifically as an EMT. Which is strange.

anyone know if this is some strange LA Regulation like all their other crazy ones? We do gurney and wheelchair, My only scope is administration of 02....NOTHING else, dont drive, no paperwork, no vitals. Just move a gurney around and apply 02 if needed.

Im not complaining, its a far cry from my last 911 job......but Pays more than EVERY Ambulance job out there, OT after 8 hours a day, and 40 hours a week. and SUPER easy......AWESOME!!

So anyone know why gurney vans do this?.....

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Uhaul to Texas

OP
OP
M

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
Bro.......I know i know.....Texas.

Im not complaining. Its a super easy job! Its just crazy, emt for a gurney van........Who's heard of such a thing?
Awesome easy job with great pay. But is it an LA thing?!?

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I suspect it might be a CYA thing for the company to have an EMT onboard. But, sounds like a good deal, just roll with it.

OP
OP
M

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
oh yeah, im not complaining at all. super easy job and tons of available overtime. Just wondering about the logistics. i take my own equipment to moniter certain pt's vitals but the majority are fine adn just dialysis runs and drop offs home.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
In Ma, there’s no such thing as a “gurney van”. We have wheelchair vans and ambulances. I don’t know why this is, but this state has a nominal thousand BLS ambulances running around doing gurney van work in an ambulance. Craziness.

So, to bring it around to your original question, the work you are describing, when done is Massachusetts, is done by not one but two EMT’s in a (theoretically) fully equipped ambulance.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Im not complaining, its a far cry from my last 911 job......but Pays more than EVERY Ambulance job out there, OT after 8 hours a day, and 40 hours a week. and SUPER easy......AWESOME!!
Would you mind sharing what the pay rate you are making?

OP
OP
M

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
It's just 13.50 an hour, but 12 hour shifts.

After 8 were time and a half, after 12 it's double time.

And we go over 12 hours literally every single day. And they'll let us work 6 days a week if we want.

So pay is between 13.50 and over 20.00 an hour daily.

wtferick

Forum Captain
It's just 13.50 an hour, but 12 hour shifts.

And we go over 12 hours literally every single day. And they'll let us work 6 days a week if we want.

So pay is between 13.50 and over 20.00 an hour daily.
How long do you think you will last?

OP
OP
M

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
Well the PLAN is to have a cush job , get into medic school and once that's done GTFO of cali....

That's the plan at least.
So how long I wanna last is about a year or so at most.no EMT wants to do gurney van, I'll get back into 911 soon. But as we all know, 911 pays garbage, works u to the bone and treats u like **** so this is a nice change for now....

wtferick

Forum Captain
Well the PLAN is to have a cush job , get into medic school and once that's done GTFO of cali....

That's the plan at least.
So how long I wanna last is about a year or so at most.no EMT wants to do gurney van, I'll get back into 911 soon. But as we all know, 911 pays garbage, works u to the bone and treats u like **** so this is a nice change for now....
Well before I left my "911" job. I was making 12.50 and working 96 hour pay weeks every other week... and had 5 days off.. so i don't knowwww

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

AMR Palm Springs and Hemet are around the same pay for EMT's and have this same format for 12 hour shifts... plus it's 911 experience...

VentMonkey

Family Guy
the work you are describing, when done is Massachusetts, is done by not one but two EMT’s in a (theoretically) fully equipped ambulance.
When I got hired at my company and worked night shift, our gurney van/ medi-van division was still up and running...until 7 pm.

We also only had one (two if we were lucky) BLS unit/s on at night. You can imagine who did the non-BLS, BLS, and ALS transfers on top of the “911” work. It was what it was.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Around here, if they are incapable of administering/regulating their own supplemental oxygen, an EMT is required because non-certified personnel doing so in a gurney van would transform it into an unlicensed ambulance per the definition of the EMS regulation act. Could be something similar for Texas.

Attachments

• EMSIB 2012-008-Stretcher Vans.pdf
    716.6 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
AMR Palm Springs and Hemet are around the same pay for EMT's and have this same format for 12 hour shifts... plus it's 911 experience...

i'll definately look into it. However, The interview process for Lancaster area didnt go too well for me and is honestly kinda tough. So not sure if AMR out there is doing the same thing....

Besides, i live Antelope valley area and already doing a 2 hour a day rough trip commute. So going out that far would involve moving yet AGAIN which i just cant do right now.....

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
So just got hired with an L.A. Company,its a gurney van in every sense of the word.....but they hired me specifically as an EMT. Which is strange.

anyone know if this is some strange LA Regulation like all their other crazy ones?

I didn't read any of the other replies. But the answer is simple.

Insurance.

It's insanely expensive to insure gurney vans without EMTs. I was told this years ago by a supervisor who owned an ambulance and gurney van company.

RocketMedic

If you want to stay in California, why not work for Liberty in Ridgecrest or Hall as an EMT?

OP
OP
M

mrhunt

Forum Lieutenant
I was looking into liberty. Hall isnt interested in me anymore as i turned down employment with them and when i re-applied recently they simply emailed me back saying my application wasnt accepted or something like that.

Im just dreading the 13/ 24 hours and Minimum wage again. I just got out of that so it kinda sucks......but i'd still do it...

wtferick

Forum Captain
I was looking into liberty. Hall isnt interested in me anymore as i turned down employment with them and when i re-applied recently they simply emailed me back saying my application wasnt accepted or something like that.

Im just dreading the 13/ 24 hours and Minimum wage again. I just got out of that so it kinda sucks......but i'd still do it...
Experience over pay surely benefits an individual especially wanting to go into paramedic. Are you 100% sure you even want to do paramedic?

RocketMedic

If you really want to make EMS anything like a career, you need to either go Fire or leave SoCal.