Calculating minute volume a basic skill

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I just wanted to know if anyone ever had to do this. Seems like it is used to see if to much or to little C02 is expelled.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Reason I am asking is this was one of the questions nearing the end of the NREMT.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
After reading more up on it, it is used to assess if you are giving a pt. to much ventilations. However I only find it in paramedic airway management books, I don't know why this would be on the basic test, unless the questions just get extremely difficult so you miss them.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Minute ventilation = the amount of air you move in one minute.

MV = RR x tidal volume

It is also an observation to note:

* the rate one is breathing

* quality of each breath
# tidal volume
- deep breaths
- shallow

Rapid deep breaths may move more air and thus increase MV. Ventilation is increased.
+ DKA
+ anxiety
+ acid-base imbalances
+ air hunger, hypoxia

Rapid shallow breaths may not always increase MV or ventilation.
+ pain
+ respiratory distess
+ restrictive diseases exacerbated

In reality everyone's MV differs as their body structure and existing disease processes determine their resting RR and tidal volume. Obese and pregnant patients may take small tidal volume and increase their RR to maintain a normal MV for them.

Athletes may have a larger tidal volume and a slightly slower RR.

A little extra reading for the future:
http://www.youcanreadebooks.com/Ventilation.html

tydek07

Forum Captain
Minute ventilation = the amount of air you move in one minute.

MV = RR x tidal volume

It is also an observation to note:

* the rate one is breathing

* quality of each breath
# tidal volume
- deep breaths
- shallow

Rapid deep breaths may move more air and thus increase MV. Ventilation is increased.
+ DKA
+ anxiety
+ acid-base imbalances
+ air hunger, hypoxia

Rapid shallow breaths may not always increase MV or ventilation.
+ pain
+ respiratory distess
+ restrictive diseases exacerbated

In reality everyone's MV differs as their body structure and existing disease processes determine their resting RR and tidal volume. Obese and pregnant patients may take small tidal volume and increase their RR to maintain a normal MV for them.

Athletes may have a larger tidal volume and a slightly slower RR.

A little extra reading for the future:
http://www.youcanreadebooks.com/Ventilation.html

Vent, you steal all of these questions...lol B)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Vent, you steal all of these questions...lol B)

She's learned that if she doesn't answer them quickly she has to read through a dozen... "Vent Medic should respond to this" posts

tydek07

Forum Captain
She's learned that if she doesn't answer them quickly she has to read through a dozen... "Vent Medic should respond to this" posts

lol, never thought of that haha :p

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
After 3 consective posts, I thought rhan101277 was in desparate need of some answers.

Maybe I didn't read your respones correctly, dear Vent, but why would the NR ask about MV on a test for a level not taught ventilators in the first place? The ''why'' has me perplexed.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Maybe I didn't read your respones correctly, dear Vent, but why would the NR ask about MV on a test for a level not taught ventilators in the first place? The ''why'' has me perplexed.

Yes this was what I was wondering. Maybe I was doing extremely good and this was a question above my level.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

It has nothing to do with a mechanical ventilator. It is just that on a ventilator we can measure and attempt to stabilize the minute volume to maintain homeostasis by lab values, medications and mechanical assist. Some patients, such as DKAs can do this by themselves better than a ventilator until definitive treatment takes affect.

As I mentioned, it is more of a noted observation about the rate and quality of each breath (tidal volume). Thus, if you know it is a measurement of tidal volume and RR, the observation would be to note the characteristics of each.

If someone is breathing 12/minute with easy normal breaths and then suddenly increased the RR and depth; that is a notable change in minute ventilation. Just one big or shallow breath is not going to change much but over a minute it could make a difference. It also shows work of breathing and is a good indication of things to come like fatique or failure.

Understanding why people increase or decrease their MV for metabolic or respiratory disorders involving acidosis can also help point the way for correctly identifying the problem.

MV is a clue as to what a patient is doing to maintain hemeostasis and how well or not they are acheiving it.

remote_medic

Forum Crew Member

I think they are testing the concept, not the skill of actually being able to accurately determine minute ventillation

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As I have posted last summer, NREMT wants the EMT to know the difference between ventilation and oxygenation.

R/r 911

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Got it. Thanks.

offgridman

Forum Ride Along
Minute Volume is EMTB material.

Minute Volume is included in my EMTB books material my class took place Nov 2010. FYI

94H

Forum Lieutenant
Are we talking about ETCO2? because the only way i know how to measure that is on a LP and those are only on our ALS trucks. Usually my medic dosent expect me to know much about it, other then setting it up

ResearchTriangle

Forum Probie
I took the EMT-B test this afternoon and that question was on my test as well. I answer it correctly but don't recall it being covered in my course, oh well. And on a side note it stopped me at question 69, so I've been going crazy all day. :sad:

JPINFV

Gadfly
I answer it correctly

You know... that was one thing I liked about the adaptive CBT when I did my last recertification. Instant feedback. If the next question was harder, you got it right. Easier? Got it wrong.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Are we talking about ETCO2? because the only way i know how to measure that is on a LP and those are only on our ALS trucks. Usually my medic dosent expect me to know much about it, other then setting it up

Minute volume is the amount of air inhaled over the course of a minute and can be calculated by respiratory rate x tidal volume. ETCO2 is a breath to breath measurement of the partial pressure (and indirectly the amount) of CO2 in the volume of gas that is exhaled. They are linked, who can tell me what the relationship is?