C/T BP problems

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
Ok guys bear with me, this is my first ever scenario posting so i'll do my best to make it flow!

You are a double ACP (Aus standards) crew so roughly EMT-I. You are called code 2 (no L & S) to a 50YOF c/o BP Problems-your MDT states that the pt's husband thinks the machine may be broken as it is reading really low and he'd like someone to come and check. Enroute you are given additional information that pt is approx. 10 months post heart transplant and as a result are upgraded to L & S.

O/A Pt's husband apologises for "dragging you out" but he couldn't get pt to walk to car. Husband states he thinks there machine is broken as it's reading 85/40. Pt is lying semi recumbent in bed, pale, diaphoretic, looks unwell. Pt describes 3/7 hx of feeling generally unwell-lethargic, weak, chills.

Initial VSS
GCS 15
BP 80/40
HR 120
ECG Sinus Tach
Temp 36.4
BSL 5.7
Lungs clear and equal

Pt Hx
Heart transplant 10/12 ago as a result of massive MI. HTN. Pt is on meds for HTN and also anti-rejection drugs.

NKA

Alright guys go for your life! Any other questions shoot away :)

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok guys bear with me, this is my first ever scenario posting so i'll do my best to make it flow!

You are a double ACP (Aus standards) crew so roughly EMT-I. You are called code 2 (no L & S) to a 50YOF c/o BP Problems-your MDT states that the pt's husband thinks the machine may be broken as it is reading really low and he'd like someone to come and check. Enroute you are given additional information that pt is approx. 10 months post heart transplant and as a result are upgraded to L & S.

O/A Pt's husband apologises for "dragging you out" but he couldn't get pt to walk to car. Husband states he thinks there machine is broken as it's reading 85/40. Pt is lying semi recumbent in bed, pale, diaphoretic, looks unwell. Pt describes 3/7 hx of feeling generally unwell-lethargic, weak, chills.

Initial VSS
GCS 15
BP 80/40
HR 120
ECG Sinus Tach
Temp 36.4
BSL 5.7
Lungs clear and equal

Pt Hx
Heart transplant 10/12 ago as a result of massive MI. HTN. Pt is on meds for HTN and also anti-rejection drugs.

NKA

Alright guys go for your life! Any other questions shoot away :)

Immunosuppressed pt, recent hx of feeling unwell, hypotensive and tachycardic. I'd be thinking sepsis or rejection.

More info: resp rate, further info about the nature of the illness trying to identify a source infection and a better picture of sepsis before I loaded a pt with a potentially failing heart up with fluid. Orthopnea? JVD? Pretibial oedema? Exercise tollerance?

With the information I have, I'd be thinking fluid (as long as acute heart failure type signs/hx weren't present), ICP backup, transport to the hospital responsible for the transplant if possible.

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
what he said + chest auscultation...

OP
OP
Aussie_Medic_Girl

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
RR18
Nil increased effort at rest, mildly increased effort after exertion (ie. couple of steps to stretcher <no other way to get her out>). Regular respiratory rhythm. As per above post lung sounds were clear all fields.

Describes her grandchildren as having had "colds" when they visited 1/52 ago. States she's had a mild dry cough, weakness, general malaise, chills.

Normally able to exercise in moderation (eg. able to go walking, etc).

Nil JVD, orthopnea or oedema.

Nearest hospital just happens to be the transplant hospital! approx. 30 min tx time. ICP can meet you enroute (20 mins in).

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
On the surface it looks like sepsis, start fluid resus and broad spectrums if you've got them.

jwk

Forum Captain
On the surface it looks like sepsis, start fluid resus and broad spectrums if you've got them.

Based on what? Most septic patients aren't afebrile.

And even if I had them available, I wouldn't try to treat an immunocompromised patient such as this.

Last edited by a moderator:

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain

And even if I had them available, I wouldn't try to treat an immunocompromised patient such as this.

Remember SIRS criteria... can also have hypothermia. And if immunosuppressed may not be able to mount a good response and possibly no fever.

Regardless this person needs to go back to transplant center, not much prehospital besides supportive care and possibly fluids depending on clinical exam and vitals.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Did you happen to see 2 sets of P waves with different morphologies on the EKG? May be difficult to see with that HR. Transplant patients usually have some interesting rhythms.

Also they cut the vagus nerve during transplant therefore after surgery many patients will be tachycardic due to loss of vagal tone. So that HR could be her normal

OzAmbo

Forum Crew Member
Remember SIRS criteria... can also have hypothermia. And if immunosuppressed may not be able to mount a good response and possibly no fever.

Regardless this person needs to go back to transplant center, not much prehospital besides supportive care and possibly fluids depending on clinical exam and vitals.

The OP doesn't happen to have a white cell count or Lactate by any chance??

OP
OP
Aussie_Medic_Girl

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
The OP doesn't happen to have a white cell count or Lactate by any chance??

Sorry but don't have either of those.

Chase...don't recall seeing any ECG changes but will keep it in mind for future transplant pt's.

I'll let conversation carry on till tomorrow then i'll post dx.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Difficult to say, guessing you ran them to the P.A? :p

Any nausea, vomiting or pain?

I think you'd definitely have to rule out Sepsis on this one.

But I think you also need to consider some sort of cardiac failure or dysfunction maybe?

I do recall reading that when a heart is transplanted the vagus nerve is severed and the heart usually beats at a much faster rate as a result.?

I'd be very careful in treating this one. If 12 lead ECG appeared ok w/chest clear and nil pedal oedema etc i'd consider starting fluids enroute.

What has her oral intake like? her mucus membranes? Is she dehydrated?

OP
OP
Aussie_Medic_Girl

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
Prince Charles actually :). Nil nausea or vomiting. Skin turgor right around 2 sec, mucous membranes normal. The call was around 10am and she'd had a glass of water or two since waking.

Pain wise she initially denied pain, however, once we moved her to the stretcher and got her in the back of the truck she began c/o 8/10 sharp thoracic back pain radiating through to the front of her torso. Nil palpable mass. Pt thought it may be because she was lying supine.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
once we moved her to the stretcher and got her in the back of the truck she began c/o 8/10 sharp thoracic back pain radiating through to the front of her torso.

Oh dear. Is this normal for her when she lays supine? Back or muscular problems in the hx? I figure probably not...

Radial pulses equal in timing and intensity? Bilat BP? Dizzy on standing?

Thoracic back pain radiating forwards makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

OP
OP
Aussie_Medic_Girl

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
Oh dear. Is this normal for her when she lays supine? Back or muscular problems in the hx? I figure probably not...

Radial pulses equal in timing and intensity? Bilat BP? Dizzy on standing?

Thoracic back pain radiating forwards makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

No hx of back problems but we had her positioned supine with legs elevated.

We did bilateral BP on scene (I always do if BP is abnormally low or high)-bilaterally equal BP and pulses.

The pain description made my poor partner's neck hairs stand up too.

OP
OP
Aussie_Medic_Girl

Aussie_Medic_Girl

Forum Probie
OK all...final dx was SEPSIS! I know I know not such a shock for some of you. I personally thought sepsis on scene but was never 100% convinced. I had never read/realised/been told that pt's on immunosuppressants may mask fevers (but it makes sence when you think about it). We gave 250mL bolus of NS, tx L & S, met up with ICP enroute who was also slightly baffled and held off on further fluids to due to pain description (which we ended up controlling with Methoxyflurane). Not sure final result.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler

In my current position I see a lot of sepsis. A LOT. I've seem them febrile, afebrile, hypothermic, hypotensive, hypertensive...they come in lots of forms. The common thread I've seen is tachycardia and hx of exposure to illness, especially in the immunocomprimised patient.

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
I am curious to those who wanted fluids running in a pt with this sort of cardiac history as to the reasoning behind it, as stated transplant patioens get funky rhythms, the patient was afebrile, hypotensive yes, but really not dangerously so. with the limited resources provided pre-hospital, if this was a cardiac issue, wouldnt overloading with fluids be detrimental to the patient? lets take out the fact we hae been told it was sepsis.

Personally, i would be commensing fluids, small, measured doses, to maintain a good systolic BP above 90 to gaurentee perfusion to organs, but not significantly raising it.

This was also an extended transport situation with Intensive Care Paramedics a fair way off. it5 is easier to increase the amount of fluids, you cant take it away once given.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I am curious to those who wanted fluids running in a pt with this sort of cardiac history as to the reasoning behind it, as stated transplant patioens get funky rhythms, the patient was afebrile, hypotensive yes, but really not dangerously so. with the limited resources provided pre-hospital, if this was a cardiac issue, wouldnt overloading with fluids be detrimental to the patient? lets take out the fact we hae been told it was sepsis.

Personally, i would be commensing fluids, small, measured doses, to maintain a good systolic BP above 90 to gaurentee perfusion to organs, but not significantly raising it.

This was also an extended transport situation with Intensive Care Paramedics a fair way off. it5 is easier to increase the amount of fluids, you cant take it away once given.

If only we had PA/Swan lines in EMS, they are very helpful in these situations trying to differentiate between various shock states. A Lactate level would also help

downunderwunda

Forum Captain
If only we had PA/Swan lines in EMS, they are very helpful in these situations trying to differentiate between various shock states. A Lactate level would also help

However we don't have these so my question remains…