Bringing in an AEDs on BLS Calls

Temp and SpO2 = $$$$
If they aren't required some ambulance companies aren't going to supply them because they want to make as much money as possible.

This is why I have no desire to ever work for a private EMS company. I know some are better than others, but predatory profit from patients who have no choice but to call 911 from wherever they are when they need an ambulance leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

This is why I have no desire to ever work for a private EMS company. I know some are better than others, but predatory profit from patients who have no choice but to call 911 from wherever they are when they need an ambulance leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't know if the 911 ambulance Co's do or don't carry them, but all 911 calls in the county automatically get FD ALS response.

But yeah, I don't think any of the IFT onlys are AED authorized providers (which I think is BS, and agree it should be mandatory equipment on all ambulances)

Welcome to California EMS. They are starting to become mandatory everywhere.

As a general rule for Cali if it is optional we don't carry it or have it in our skills. SpO2 is in the EMT scope for my county, having a SpO2 monitor is optional so we don't carry them on BLS units.

My favorite thing is this:
"Patient was complaining of SOB. She's on 10lpm just monitor her O2 level because it drops sometimes"

"Sorry we can't monitor SpO2. But I'd be happy to call an ALS unit that can."

"Really?! Umm well, actually the patients pulse ox has been stable. So it's okay."

Last edited by a moderator:
The company I work for doesn't have any bls units. Everything is als equipped. There are never 2 basics on a truck. Fire department and usually police respond to everything with us. If we are going into a nursing home or a place where we have to wait for an elevator, we are bringing everything in. Private residences, we will bring the in bag with O2 and the monitor. Fire department or police will run back and forth to the truck for anything else we find we need. Most of the time the fire department does our lifting too (911 only). They bring the stretcher or stair chair to us, help load patient, then carry stair chair or roll stretcher. We have a good relationship with the police and fire departments in the towns we do 911 coverage.

Back