Bradycardia

bdoss2006

Forum Probie
Does internal bleeding cause bradycardia? I would assume it would cause tachycardia. A patient I had today had me confused.

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
Tachycardia initially. If bleeding is extensive and cardiac output suffers then bradycardia can result which is a late sign.
But med history/ and medications and presentation will be needed as well

OP
OP
B

bdoss2006

Forum Probie
I think she wound up having ileus but when I told an aemt I work with that she was hypotensive, bradycardic, and had severe abdominal pain she said it sounded like internal bleeding.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You're not giving us any information that would help in determining what's going on (vitals, history, meds, etc)...just your assessment and guesses.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Does internal bleeding cause bradycardia? I would assume it would cause tachycardia. A patient I had today had me confused.
Patients rarely present with super simple problems and have absolutely no other medical history. Medications, past medical problems, street drugs, and a bunch of other factors can all have effects upon how they'll present to you. Keep assessing your patients, look at their meds, their histories, and the like, and perhaps even take an A&P course and along the way, you'll start putting the pieces together and have a reasonable understanding of what's going on with your patients. If you lack knowledge and you don't look further into things, your patients will continue to confuse you.

Your understanding of hemorrhage isn't necessarily wrong... but perhaps your understanding of that specific patient may be quite incomplete.

ChristopherM

Forum Crew Member
I think she wound up having ileus but when I told an aemt I work with that she was hypotensive, bradycardic, and had severe abdominal pain she said it sounded like internal bleeding.

Is it possible to follow up formally with your medical director or educator? I find this is always extremely helpful on cases you have questions about. If you could obtain a more detailed HPI and information on the pt's hospital course it might give you some good directions of study.