Brady Books

splais

Forum Ride Along
I'm trying to help a young friend of mine who is studying to be an EMT. I keep ready about how good the "Brady Books" but can't seem to find what people are referring to.

Can someone tell me specifically what "Brady Book/Books" they are referring too. thanks

emt_irl

Forum Captain
brady is a brand of book that are used to teach first responder, emt and up.

google it and you will see

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Brady is one of the main publishers of EMS textbooks. Another 2 are AAOS and Mosby.

I had AAOS for my EMT and the Brady "bible" for paramedic. The paramedic text from Brady come in 2 forms, the 'bible' which is one giant book, and then the series, which is a bunch of smaller books portioned in to just a couple of sections each.

Just google Brady books, or Brady EMS and you'll find it.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I used brady emergency care for my basic text. Out of curiousity I spent a couple bucks on an AAOS text at a used book store with the samy copyright date, and read through it to compare.

I was surprised at how different they were. AAOS had lots of gruesome pictures but I preferred the brady book. It seemed organized better and was easier to find information I wanted when I was studying for my finals/NREMT.

The AAOS book had a CD that showed someone going through each practical station that was laughably bad. The people demonstrating the stations might have actually failed some of them had they took it with my class.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I read Brady as the required text for class, but usually ended up reading Mosby as well (and sometimes primarily) as it explained things in better detail and gave me a better understanding of the material. Brady seemed to do just 'big concepts'. And often felt like I still didn't know how exactly to treat each disease process.

My instructor also had a two volume red colored text that went into treatments so much better, just just suggesting classes of meds that COULD be used for each disease. Can't remember the name, but it was a great book.

I think AAOS comes in last in preferences.

OP
OP
S

splais

Forum Ride Along
fellas I know you are trying to help. But you keep referring to book publishers like Brady and AAOS that publish several EMT related books. I'm trying to figure out what specific books you used, by name. thanks.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Emergency Care 11th edition

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Both University programs here use the Brady Paramedic Care 2ed. book.

Personally I don't much like it because I feel (and this is just my personal opinion) that it reads much like a "skills manual" rather than a book you can gain any actual good high level congitive knowledge from.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Emergency Care 11th edition

I personally liked the AAOS book better. The Brady book seemed to have different chapter written by different people, following different standards. For instance, the ranges for pediatric RR's and HR's differed in the Respiratory Emergency section to the Pediatric section.

A lot of typo's... there was a question in the workbook pertaining to when to put on an occlusive dressing, and when I read it I was like "What? I never heard that before...." the question was along the lines of Do you put an occlusive dressing on a sucking chest wound when the patient is a) inhaling, b) exhaling, c) holding their breath or d) some stupid answer...

Well, I was not sure and figured I missed that part... I went to the pages referenced and there was nothing there about that at all. I had to do independent research to find the answer.

Don't even get me started on the problems with the slide shows that accompanied it for class... :) Between the book, the slide shows and the workbook there are 4, 5 or 5 rights that need to be met for all meds :)

But, as someone else mentioned the layout and approach of the book is better than the AAOS book but the editing could have been better.

I have no opinion on the mosby.

joeshmoe

Forum Lieutenant
I Havent seen a moseby book, but I've heard some say they are better than brady or aaos, especially for preparing someone for the NREMT. I liked Brady a little better than aaos, but didnt really care for either. Ive taken more than a few college courses, and I thought the textbook and instruction for my Basic class ranks at the very bottom.

Maybe it's because they are packing so much diverse information into one textbook thats it's just hard to organize. Or maybe EMS education is a red headed step child and no ones thought much about how it should go.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Paramedic levels:
Brady written about 11th grade level. Mosby (offers 2 completely different Paramedic texts competing with each other ) written about 9th or 10th grade level depending which one of the authors. AAOS written about 7th or 8th grade.

All have certain areas that the authors spend extra time discussing based on what they feel is of greatest importance. Honestly not a bad idea to own and study all 4.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
I can't see the Mosby book I read as being 9th or 10th grade. And certainly not at a lower level than Brady. Look through Mosby on how it explains ventilation/respiration. Compare it to Brady. With Mosby, I actually felt like I was learning physiology like a paramedic should. Brady reminded me of EMT in that section.

I still refer to my Brady all the time, but when I really want to get a topic, I break out Mosby.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I can't see the Mosby book I read as being 9th or 10th grade. And certainly not at a lower level than Brady. Look through Mosby on how it explains ventilation/respiration. Compare it to Brady. With Mosby, I actually felt like I was learning physiology like a paramedic should. Brady reminded me of EMT in that section.

I still refer to my Brady all the time, but when I really want to get a topic, I break out Mosby.

That's why I mentioned all have certain points they are stronger than others in and why I suggest having access to all of them. Even at times that silly Sidney sinus of AAOS can help complete a persons understanding of a subject.

Veneficus

Forum Chief

Why don't you step up to a Robin's or Guyton instead?

medic417

The Truth Provider

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Did I mention lifting the Brady Bible is a health hazard?

That thing weights a ton man ... obviously they want you to have the most realistic and relevant education out there and get back blowout, may as well start early right? :p:p:p

Last edited by a moderator:

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Did I mention lifting the Brady Bible is a health hazard?

That thing weights a ton man ... obviously they want you to have the most realistic and relevant out there and get back blowout right? :p:p:p

That thing is nothing, you should try hoisting up my copy of "Nelson's pediatrics."

(probably so named because it takes 3 men and a boy to lift it) :)