Boots

adrock

Forum Ride Along
Howdy folks,

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I wanted to solicit the opinion of the masses on EMS footwear.

Right now I've got a pair of Magnum side-zip LE duty boots. They're good for the most part, but aren't waterproof (and therefore no good for bodily substances either) and as winter rolls into Massachusetts, I find that my feet get cold.

What do y'all use and/or recommend for warm, sturdy boots that have the BSI liner to them? I really like side-zips too, because it's like velcro for grownups and I don't have to untie my boots each time.

Thanks!

--adrock

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I use Bates® Enforcer™ They are designed for law enforcement but are great for climate control and after a coating of spray on water proofer, I have had no occasions of wet socks (other than sweat from long shifts.) I even use them when I go hunting in -5º F weather and can handle hours in the snow.

I had Magnum for a while they didn'tlast long enough for the abuse I put them thru.

I hope that works for ya!
Welcome to the site and hope you stick around for a while.

OP
OP
A

adrock

Forum Ride Along
Which variant of the Enforcer do you have? It looks like there are a couple of different options.; ultralites and etc. One thing I'm not seeing (and admittedly I'm only looking at Galls) is a Bates boot with the bodily substance lining. Am I merely missing something?

--adrock

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Can you believe I'm not required to wear boots? I always wear sneakers as a minimum... and from my running days (pre-broken back) I have like 4 pairs of old sneakers that aren't good enough for running anymore... I wear them, and if I find any bit of blood/fluid/etc on them after a call I decon my feet and chuck the sneakers. Same thing with wristwatches, I buy $7 watches at K-Mart or Target and chuck them if they become exposed.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
My private company does not provide money for boots. I rationalized that since I wasn't going to be working full time, the $15 casual "boots" at the local discount shoe store would do.

They worked great until it starts raining, and I imagine it's the same with snowing.

I don't have any ideas for great boots, but I can only suggest purchasing a waterproof pair with zippers. I've always envied those with Zipper boots. Shoe laces are so over-rated.

Thanks for posting, and while I know my feedback isn't exactly helpful, hopefully someone else can give you a bit more :)

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
I use the original and the ultra-lites. be careful with the ultralites... you can't blouse pants without having to worry about the zipper pooping. I have 2 pair out because of that. :angry:
Oh well. Good luck on your quest.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Most of the time, I wear my turnout pants and boots. If I'm in station uniform, we use Firefighter III boots which are made by a local fire service supply company and are the same boots that LAFD uses. I'll occasionally wear other shoes too if I have to be dressed in "civvies" (not to be confused with "skivvies") when a call comes in.

I've honestly never worried too much about getting fluids on my boots. Most of our calls are medical rather than trauma, and I always try to be careful of where I stand.

medicfire909

Forum Ride Along
Hello Everyone,

I personally prefer the Matterhorn CrossTech Fabric Waterproof Leather & Nylon boots. As the only female member of my agency which is a Air Ambulance service based out of a Regional Trauma center the need for the body fluid barrier is important. This boot is lighter than some other boots out there and unlike Bates is sold in women's sizes at the same cost as men's sizes. Check out Galls they make up the same clothing sold to guys in smaller sizes and sell it to women for $10 - $20 or more above the men's prices.

It is sold in a 8" and 10" height but I am not sure if they offer a zip down version I use the lace style but I tie them kinda funny so the laces don't hang out where they can get caught.

In the Fire Department when I am grounded...hehehe I just wear my turnout pants and boots as well on 99.9% of the FD calls I go on. The exception being station walk in s then pretty much stuck in what ever your in can very well run back upstairs to get boots if someone is dieing downstairs so in that case sneakers work and then if they are contaminated then they will be disposed of.

I wear to many hats but Ialways buy the same boot because back in the early days I bought the Bates Enforcer paid like $150 for the FEMALE verion was suposed to be water proof they weren't and the spray on versions don't work to well on the nylon so best if treated while made but I'd assume they must do it afterwards as well if it wears off that fast. One boot was slightly a different size and they fell apart in 3 months after purchasing them at the time had no life worked EMS 160 hrs a week so they got used hard. Second pair I bought was the above mentioned boot Matterhorn's this was 15 yrs ago still wearing them to this day.

Julie

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I don't like the zipper boots because I can never get them tight enough to give me the ankle support I desire. I personnally use a pair of 10" Matterhorn Tiger Tip Search & Rescue Boots for EMS and Wildand fire suppression.

I don't worry about the bio-guard lining because it is not an issue unless you are literally standing ankle deep in blood.

(And no, I didn't pay for my boots. My previous fire department did in exchange for some work I did for them).

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Bates Special Ops, all leather, side zip, I'm not sure that they make this boot anymore, but it works well, and if you keep your boots polished (all of them, not just the heel/toe) bodily substance beads up, and rolls off, and you won't destroy the leather when you spray them with decon/bleach. I buy my boots at botac.com which is usually pretty cheap if you hit them for their sales.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
i used to be all about the magnum high-tech, but recently i bought a pair of side zips, and the zipper broke, i work 3rd party right now for a small company and i dont really put my boots through any wear or tear and the side zip broke on them, i had had them a while (bout' 6 mos.) so it could be attributed to that. IMO, boots should last you a while. right now, i got a pair of bates to try out, so far, so good. we shall see. hope that helped

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
I've got a pair of side-zip boots that I wear for my paying job, and I really don't care for them. The gusset behind the zipper tends to create a bulge against my ankle that gets uncomfortable after walking around for awhile. I much prefer the tongue zipper style like my FD station boots have.

MCSHughes

Forum Probie
I can't believe any of you cold weather folks don't know about Sno Seal! :) It's the best thing, cheap, VERY effective, and you can buy it at Wal-Mart. Use it on the entire boot, cover it completely, then use a blow dryer to soak it in. It gives your boots a nice finish as well. It will also act as a barrier against cooties. I buy the cheapest Bates side zip I can across the street at Bass Pro and rotate a new pair in every year.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by PArescueEMT@Jan 8 2005, 11:40 PM
I konw about Sno-Seal®, I just am too cheap to buy anything with that little ® on it.
So you can use mine! :lol:

I've actually been putting off treating my boots with it, but one of these weeks ;)

I wear ALTAMA Mil-Spec boots, as with a size 17 foot, it is hard to get anything else. I just use a lace-in zipper, and that works fine, and still makes it easy to put on turnouts.

Jon