Boobs and the 12 lead

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston

BOTH OF YOU ARE WRONG.

Palpate every time, unless your patient is so cachetic that you can SEE the intercostal spaces.

This is a DIAGNOSTIC procedure, lead placement is of the utmost importance.

Please don't teach new providers that you can visualize proper placement. Absolutely w r o n g.

Who the hell thought it was a good idea to give 8jimi8 a megaphone.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
motorcity, I assume you refer to antique-style electrodes

Pict00522.JPG

..when you refer to "them suckers"?

Not cool. How old are you?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
I cannot believe the language of this particular thread. It reads as if written by 8th graders. "Cupping", "boobs", "unable to control massive breasts", "pulling of the nipples", "putting them on nipples"?!?!?!? Are you kidding me????

It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to perform a 12 lead even On the largest cup size and STILL keep her covered up throughout the entire procedure, proper placement with bra still in place.

With the overall tone of this thread no wonder your female patients might feel uncomfortable. The ones performing the 12 lead are at least as uncomfortable if not moreso. Self-consciousness breads self-consciousness.

Get over it, do the procedure with her still covered, and get on with the rest of your assessment.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I cannot believe the language of this particular thread. It reads as if written by 8th graders. "Cupping", "boobs", "unable to control massive breasts", "pulling of the nipples", "putting them on nipples"?!?!?!? Are you kidding me????

Dont forget my use of the word chesticles.

Sent from LuLu using Tapatalk

Anjel

Forum Angel
OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

So do the pads go over the chesticles under the chesticles or on the nipples of the chesticels?

Sasha

Forum Chief
No no no. You cup the massive chesticle or pull it up by the nipples. Then wipe off the boob cheese and place your electrode. Do not massage the nips.

medic417

The Truth Provider

It shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes to perform a 12 lead even On the largest cup size and STILL keep her covered up throughout the entire procedure, proper placement with bra still in place.

With the overall tone of this thread no wonder your female patients might feel uncomfortable. The ones performing the 12 lead are at least as uncomfortable if not moreso. Self-consciousness breads self-consciousness.

Get over it, do the procedure with her still covered, and get on with the rest of your assessment.

Disagree with the bra statement. Better to have all bras removed and hospital gown put on. You can easily shuffle the gown to protect patients privacy. Ensures proper landmarks found and eliminates any possible interference. I have not seen cardiologists or ekg techs leave the bras on so why should we be different, perhaps it is you that are uncomfortable with your job which might as you say make your patient uncomfortable.

As to statements of those listed there was only one that was a true problem and it was obvious the poster was trying to be rude. The other comments including the one of mine you quoted were used to help illustrate accurately how or how not to do the job. When these items are not discussed people are bound to make mistakes.

Using clear simple even if disgusting plain English helps avoid misunderstandings or surprises.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Disagree with the bra statement. Better to have all bras removed and hospital gown put on. You can easily shuffle the gown to protect patients privacy. Ensures proper landmarks found and eliminates any possible interference. I have not seen cardiologists or ekg techs leave the bras on so why should we be different, perhaps it is you that are uncomfortable with your job which might as you say make your patient uncomfortable.

As to statements of those listed there was only one that was a true problem and it was obvious the poster was trying to be rude. The other comments including the one of mine you quoted were used to help illustrate accurately how or how not to do the job. When these items are not discussed people are bound to make mistakes.

Using clear simple even if disgusting plain English helps avoid misunderstandings or surprises.

Irregardless. It isn't rocket science. If you disagree I can introduce to one of the most awesome helicopter mechanics in the business. He used to build missiles for Lockheed-Martin. Those are rockets. He knows what rocket science is and he can assure you that this isn't it.

Bra, no bra. Point being is you should be able to perform this procedure with her still covered up and her dignity intact. Period.

Some of us are still needing to get over our insecurities involving mammary glands. And we wonder why we don't get paid more. I mean really.

Anjel

Forum Angel
No one is saying they are exposing them.

They were wondering about where to put the leads.

GET OVER IT!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Irregardless. It isn't rocket science. If you disagree I can introduce to one of the most awesome helicopter mechanics in the business. He used to build missiles for Lockheed-Martin. Those are rockets. He knows what rocket science is and he can assure you that this isn't it.

Bra, no bra. Point being is you should be able to perform this procedure with her still covered up and her dignity intact. Period.

Some of us are still needing to get over our insecurities involving mammary glands. And we wonder why we don't get paid more. I mean really.

That is cute. One of the worst medics I know is a retired rocket scientist out of Boeing.

Sasha

Forum Chief

Who said anything about letting her flop out in the wind? This thread is about lead placement and how to preserve the patients dignity when dealing with those on the larger size. Sorry but the use of the word boob or otherwise doesnt make one insensitive to breasts. Hell i own a pair of fantastic breasts, i am not insecure about them at all.

The only one who talks about leaving the patient exposed is you, really.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Who said anything about letting her flop out in the wind? This thread is about lead placement and how to preserve the patients dignity when dealing with those on the larger size. Sorry but the use of the word boob or otherwise doesnt make one insensitive to breasts. Hell i own a pair of fantastic breasts, i am not insecure about them at all.

The only one who talks about leaving the patient exposed is you, really.

LOL!

Absolutely agree. And the words of mine you quoted in your first post were sarcastic, anyway.

It is fairly standard, and something that you can deal with easily if you just ask the patient to take off his or her shirt, put a gown on, and then pull the gown up to attach the leads. I usually leave them on for the duration of the transport to get any changes that may happen, and then remove them when you arrive at the hospital.

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Apparently you misread my original post. I wasn't addressing technique. I was addressing the demeanor of the practitioner while performing the procedure. And I quote, "selfconsciousness breads selfconsciousness".

Sasha

Forum Chief
Apparently you misread my original post. I wasn't addressing technique. I was addressing the demeanor of the practitioner while performing the procedure. And I quote, "selfconsciousness breads selfconsciousness".

You were berating people as insecure for using the word boob.

Judgemental much?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
And I also believe I mentioned language. The title of this thread is the indicator. We as professionals should be beyond reproach. We are taught technique, not demeanor. Apparently we have a long way to go. Sad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
We arent on shift when we are here. Figuratively.

Relax a little i highly doubt most here would approach the patient going hey lady can.you hold your titty?

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
So we should be expected to use the anatomical term no matter what the setting? Sorry but "Adipose tissue plus mammary glands and the 12 lead" is a little excessive.

medic417

The Truth Provider

BBG brought his concern here is a simplistic manner and we provided him the mental pictures to do the job right. Also the simplistic answers will help the BDG ( Big Dumb Guy )learn proper technique as well.

Oh and why is bread mentioned here? Usually the bread sandwiches items rather than being sandwiched itself. Perhaps breeds would be the word you seek?

OP
OP
bigbaldguy

bigbaldguy

Boob :)