Bonnaroo Medics

Status
Not open for further replies.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I was just wondering if anyone else here was going to be working the medic tents at Bonnaroo? I will be working

Friday 1600 - 0400

Sat 1600 -0400

Sun 1600 - 0400

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
That's one way to go to bonnaroo without paying the outrageous ticket prices. I need to look into that :p

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Do you have a TN license?

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Well that would be fun to go to.

Yeah, it is pretty fun. I am looking forward to seeing Mr. John Prine Perform. However, there is usually some idiot walking around with LSD in a spray bottle spraying people, and tons of kids taking things they should not be taking.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
^ Music festivals will always be music festivals

Definately true. Take a bunch of drunk and stoned people add: 35 foot water slides, bungee jumping, Ferris Wheels, etc. lol. Other than that (The drunk people and drug users), I am looking to have a great time!

For those who do not know what Bonnaroo is, it is a national musical festival featuring about 30 bands over a period of a week, last year Metallica headlined.

Here is their site: http://bonnaroo.com/

Here are the activities availalbe:

http://bonnaroo.com/activities.aspx

When you are off your medical shift, you are allowed full access to the venue to enjoy the show. While it is strictly prohibted to take pictures within the treatment areas (Duh), you are more than allowed to bring your camera to take pictures of the event. I always see bonnaroo as a great time for EMS workers in TN to get together and have a good time, and of course do a little work in the process.

I've got EMS Night Out tonight with the local HEMS, then im Bonnaroo bound!

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Have fun! I'm jealous, I've always wanted to go to Bonnaroo.

I live 2 counties over from where it is, and I work EMS 1 county from it so we usually end up responding to it in one way or another. This year, I just cut out the middle man, lol.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
Gotta work for anyone, or just have your TN cert/license?

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Gotta work for anyone, or just have your TN cert/license?

You have to be licensed as an EMT-IV or Paramedic in the state of TN (They might take first responders, not sure..), and send a request to the National Event Services person that is in charge of the event.

BLSBoy

makes good girls go bad
You have to be licensed as an EMT-IV or Paramedic in the state of TN (They might take first responders, not sure..), and send a request to the National Event Services person that is in charge of the event.

Hmmm. How is it getting reciprocity, and getting hired to do the shows?
Who actually hires, what is the pay/scope/medical director?

This might be something for next year I would LOVE to do....

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm. How is it getting reciprocity, and getting hired to do the shows?
Who actually hires, what is the pay/scope/medical director?

This might be something for next year I would LOVE to do....

Well, EMT-B's must complete the EMT-B to IV Bridge course. Your National Registry License is enough to do the rest with regard to getting your TN state license.

National Event Services does the hiring, but it is more a paid volunteer kind of thing (Yes, I know that sounds dumb).. I am not an employee of National Event Services, I just signed on for bonnaroo. It is more a first come, first serve kind of deal. As far as I know, medics are getting $13 an hour for their services tax free under $600, EMTs are getting $10.

I work with several event medicine entities as an employee here in TN, so this gives me access to football games, NHL, concerts, etc. I had the option to work CMA Fest. However, to do CMA Fest and Bonnaroo in one week is just, well too much.

Don't quote me on this though, with regard to bonnaroo, I am just a paid volunteer and do not have any other affiliation with national event services.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked EMS/stand by medical at the Philadelphia Folk Music Festival one summer. I had the overnight- 10p to 6a shift. The shift was busy but fine, but the most horrible part was trying to get some sleep in the morning. The area where the tents were set up had zero tree coverage and the temp was *extremely hot* inside. Impossible to sleep and there was little escape from the heat. Made for a miserable day after a busy overnight shift. Then I was on shift again that evening. I ended up sleeping in the ambulance on the bench, but wish they would have had something set up for us.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Well guys, that was the longest three days of my life (Worked tent first night, venue the last two). Here are some photos I took (In Non Patient Areas of course). Please note, if you worked as hard as I did this weekend, you would look equally as horrible in your pics as well... so let this one slide.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/album.php?aid=28500&id=1677970081&ref=mf

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah after doing a Roo-type fest (Philly Folk Fest) I swore I'd never do one again. All work, no escape from the heat, no fun.

OP
OP
medicRob

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I enjoyed myself, don't get me wrong. However, you can clearly see from the pics how tired and hot I was by the last day. I certainly couldn't do this in a 7 on/7 off type of capacity like ambulance work. Thank God Bonnaroo only happens once a year. I will definately work the next one.

Status
Not open for further replies.