bls

Derf

Forum Ride Along
I was excited to find a forum where I could talk to other emts. I have only posted one time prior to this. After reading threads from other bls providers I dont dare even post anything for the thougt of being jumped on. I am a nremt who believes in my training and do my best in the field to help pts. I do call out for als for trauma calls and have a great working relationship with them. They never end a call without saying thank you or great job guys. I respect the paramedics in our field and they respect us back. What I am getting at is if this is BLS forum we should not get jumped on for lack of knowledge for we are trained in what we are asking.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Obviously, you have never dealt with many physician or medical professionals. I personally have not read anybody being "jumped on" rather; attempts to stop erroneous or personal views that are not withing being in scientific or current clinical backing.
Remember EMS is part of medicine, short and simple, not public safety, fire, etc..

The problem is everyone has an opinion. I have found out that the more educated and experience I become, the more I realize how much I really do not know. In case point, compare this to those attempting to judge or critique methods and treatment modalities, without the proper education. This would be similar to me critiquing and judging a surgeon on a technique or procedure. Ironically, most BLS providers would like to point out BLS before ALS, (which in reality, there is not such thing as BLS/ALS it is all patient care, we just separate them).

As well, part of the medical profession is to be able to justify any treatment. Similar to "grand rounds" in medical school, anyone providing care, should have to be able to "justify" any treatment, even splinting or administration of oxygen- not just because it is the protocol. One has to develop "thick skin" to stay in any medicine or allied health care. If one does not, they will not be in the business very long.

R/r 911

OP
OP
D

Derf

Forum Ride Along
I have dealt with physicians and medical professionals. The difference is when I have a question they answer me without critisism. I dont tell als how to do their job rather assist them with what they ask for. One has to remember not everyone works where there is access to everything right there. Here I can go on a call and call out for als and it could take quite a while for them to get to me. A pt may not reach the closest hospital for over an hour after they call for help. As for learning more I will never say that I even know close to what there is to know. I can learn something new on every call I go on. The day one says they know it all is the day they should be done. A person must have thick skin yes but also stand up and have the right to ask questions. As for further education not all of us are emts full time.

Guardian

Forum Asst. Chief
I was excited to find a forum where I could talk to other emts. I have only posted one time prior to this. After reading threads from other bls providers I dont dare even post anything for the thougt of being jumped on. I am a nremt who believes in my training and do my best in the field to help pts. I do call out for als for trauma calls and have a great working relationship with them. They never end a call without saying thank you or great job guys. I respect the paramedics in our field and they respect us back. What I am getting at is if this is BLS forum we should not get jumped on for lack of knowledge for we are trained in what we are asking.

There are some highly educated paramedics on this site who like to comment on other people's posts. If you don't like this, I'd recommend looking at other ems forums because I don't see this changing anytime soon.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I think it depends on whether you react to the emotional content of a post or its factual content. Even some posts that have irritated me have educated me. The key is to allow the irritation to pass so the learning can begin.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Many years ago, I attended an EMS convention where a neurosurgeon was giving a lecture; it was based upon on how worthless EMS and especially ALS was. Unfortunately, everything he said was technically correct. The more I listened, the more angered I became (as well, as everyone else in the audience). We took a break, and then returned with him describing how he purposefully played devil's advocate, and he was actually Chicago's EMS Medical Director.

The point was to make us think! Unfortunately, many or most in EMS are like sheep and follow anyone that will lead. Look at our treatments, procedures, that have never been validated or proven to be effective. Everything from MAST trousers to CISD, to the jump bags, ambulances-driving, etc. Rather; it is assumed it is correct because ..."it is the way, we always have done it".. No one has ever questioned on why, is it really the "right thing" or is "there another way"? Like the physician, I too many times play the "devils advocate" on EMS forums; wanting others fellow EMS professionals to have to justify their actions, treatments and opinions. Rather, it is really their own points, not just something that was always "assumed".

It does not matter if one is paid $200,000 a year or volunteers, or if one treats one patient or 15,000 patients a year. The responsibility and care should be the same no matter if paid, rural, or metro. It is the responsibility one assumes, when they obligate and determine that they want to perform the role and provide patient care.

One should welcome to be challenged. It keeps ourselves in balance to realize our weaknesses and strengths. I have found those that feel intimidated or threatened, usually is because of feelings of inadequacy. I know and realize that I continue to challenge myself daily, and attempt to overcome my weaknesses, albeit I will never achieve 100%. This keeps me from being over competent and from being stagnant. In researching and discussing with others, I see commonalities and problems and have learned from others.

R/r 911

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Hi Derf! :) Welcome to the tribe, this is a good site to get infomation from all of the walks of EMS and some from the clinical setting. "everybody has something to say!" :):):)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I was excited to find a forum where I could talk to other emts. I have only posted one time prior to this. After reading threads from other bls providers I dont dare even post anything for the thougt of being jumped on.

There are some highly educated paramedics on this site who like to comment on other people's posts. If you don't like this, I'd recommend looking at other ems forums because I don't see this changing anytime soon.

We work very hard here to keep this a friendly forum. Other sites are much worse. You're more likely to be flamed on those sites, whereas here, you will likely be made to think about your position and defend it in an intelligent and logical manner. We'll challenge you to rethink your position about idiotic comments/positions without calling you an idiot.

I think it depends on whether you react to the emotional content of a post or its factual content. Even some posts that have irritated me have educated me. The key is to allow the irritation to pass so the learning can begin.

Truer words have never been spoken about this site.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
. What I am getting at is if this is BLS forum we should not get jumped on for lack of knowledge for we are trained in what we are asking.

Oh yeah, and read everything Ridryder911 says twice. He isn't jumping on anyone.

Well, usually he's not, but that all depends on whether or not he's taken the candy dish of meds for the day. :D

ok, just kidding.

Keep in mind that this text-based medium that we communicate with lacks the vocal inflections that we're used to in face to face communication. Something that you're typing while giggling may come across as offensive to someone else. Something that you mean to be offensive may just make people laugh. Helpful, constructive criticism can also come across as 'jumping on you' when it's not intended that way at all.

So read everything twice and take a deep breath before clicking "Reply" and it'll all be good. :D

Oh, and for pete's sake, stay off of eBay when you're drunk. My god. What am I going to do with 11 pink flamingos?!

Gah!

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Wanted to comment on his one, although old. Derf, as a EMT- Basic you were not taught much about medicine. While we as basics are team players and should be respected, don't fool yourself for a minute that the care we are able to provide by ourselves is the care our patients deserve. Not many people who know the difference between an EMT and a paramedic would want a BLS ambulance to respond to their spouse's cardiac call. And learn to accept critiscm, because no one takes a 4 month course, certifies, and than expects never to recieve some critiscim, thinking that they are the medical authority. When I am through with medical school, I will recieve another 4 year dose of critiscim from my older peers looking down my neck, and this is after 4 years olf med school. Get used to it, because you won't get ANYWHERE in medicine without learning to accept it.