BLS/Trauma Kit Advice

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Personal jumps kit: Cell phone, pocket mask, common sense.

Need to be fancy; your hypoglycemic friend could also drink a soda instead of a tube of glucose from a bag in your car.

All you need until an ambulance arrives is those three things: cell, pocket mask, common sense.

If your in a very remote area or backpacking/camping: throw in some OTC medications and some bandages/dressing. Whats a bag of airways and BVMs going to do in a remote area? By the time a defibrillator gets there your guy is gonna be dead and asystole anyways.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
VentMedic, that's the reason I got the O2 filled I did... Both as training specifically to provide O2 in an Emergency, and as a CPR Instructor able to train others in much more basic use than what I've been trained to do.

The Gas filler filled a bottle owned by a company I work with for me, and other than one former Combat Medic who is now an RN I don't know of anyone at the company trained in it's use. O2 is just too expensive to have anyways... I wouldn't mind having it in my Kit, but not about to shell out the $300 or so to get a cylinder, regulator, etc...

Sorry to create all the arguing/hardships... guess I'm good at starting topics on controversial subjects :) It's my curse... Guess I'm always a bit too gung-ho for my own good ;)

Do you know what hypoxic drive is? How about what COPD is? The difference between hypoxia and hypoxemia? What oxygen toxicity is? Why oil is dangerous around o2 bottles? The indications for o2 therapy and the rates in LPM to use for specific complaints from the patient? Do you know at what point to take off the NR mask and use positive pressure ventilation? If not, please don't carry an o2 bottle around with you.

laina66

Forum Crew Member
Hey,
I have a personal bag..it includes all the things one would generally need for trauma or medical assessment. It's really only importnt to have things such as gauze, tape, bp cuff, steth, survival blanket, centerpunch/seatbelt cutter, trauma shears, kelly forceps, bandages, rubbing alcohol/ peroxide, alcohol swabs, a notepad, and PPE. Mainly, if you are driving down the road and you see someone hit a tree and star their windshield, you will be able to care for them until further help arrives. If your area also allows, you can carry baby aspirin or low-dose aspirin if someone is experiencing chest pain...although you would have to have a standing order in your area and notify the EMS agency when they arrive that you administered such and suc a drug at such and such a time...and supply them with your EMT #, etc.
Don't go all out on the bag because chances are...you're not going to need all the extras. Basics, basics, basics.

Good luck...Stat Packs are awesome. B)
-L

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Do you know what hypoxic drive is? How about what COPD is? The difference between hypoxia and hypoxemia? What oxygen toxicity is? Why oil is dangerous around o2 bottles? The indications for o2 therapy and the rates in LPM to use for specific complaints from the patient? Do you know at what point to take off the NR mask and use positive pressure ventilation? If not, please don't carry an o2 bottle around with you.

Phht! I'm sorry but that's just elitist rant. Better questions are "Do you know the indications for supplemental oxygen?" and "Do you know of any contraindications for supplemental oxygen?". O2 is fine for the most simple of people to administer safely.

Give O2 by low-flow when there is a serious injury, internal pain, head injury, and inadequate respirations or cyanosis. Low flow isn't going to be harmful to anyone and is safe for all first-aid uses until EMS arrives.

When giving low-flow O2 by nasal, there is only one contradiction that I can think of and that is around open flame.

laina66

Forum Crew Member
Carrying O2 and such is a bit much...but a little bag of some gauze and stuff isn't a bad thng to have in your car...And actually we are trained more than the average bystander...and we would know to record :censored::censored::censored::censored: that goes on and relay it to the frst to respond...time is really all that matters...so if u call the FD/ambulance and in the mean time hod a wound with gauze and get any info you can from them its a big help---not to mention that if they're losing a :censored::censored::censored::censored:load of blood theres a chance of them not being able to answer these qustions in the 10 minutes it could take EMS to respond...
Basics only...but they are a good tool.
Plus...I like to have my own BP cuff and Steth b/c a litmann is a hell of a lot better han the :censored::censored::censored::censored: they carry on the bus and if theres more than one thing going on...guess what...theres only one regular cuff in the bag.

I dont know why poeple are getting so annoyed by this. If one wants to carry stuff, let them.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
That's my point. If you want to carry everything possible, go hard. Someone may one day appreciate it. But just remember that no matter what your certification, after work we are all first-aiders and don't go too beyond that (unless you are allowed....I am, but I don't carry any IV equip around with me, for example). And I am not going to.

Dressings and pocket mask with a stethoscope. That's all I really need (tho I do have a full 1st aid kit) because I just need to manage the life threats on the spot, the rest can and should be managed by EMS. I know I hate to have to undo some first-responders bandaging to get a look at a wound and then be sure it was properly cleaned and wrapped, etc. That's just too much discomfort for a pt to have to go through. The responder feels good about their skills until I have to undo it.

Don't try to fix everything; just control the problem until I get there, and I'll do the same for you.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Couple of things... If one is carrying a oxygen and administers it, one better have either standing orders from a licensed physician to administer it. It is a drug and medication (medical gas) and even carrying it is a Federal violation without a prescription. Yes, it is that serious!

The same with any medical device.. cervical collars, etc.. they are prescribed devices, to be used per service protocols and if one reads the label will find out it requires a licensed physician to authorize it.

Be sure to know things before one assumes anything...

R/r 911

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Well, I know better than to argue c Rid. He knows the American system better than I ever will.

For Canuckians, never fear! Our system protects good samaritans c training. And in BC, we can practice as good sams the same as we can on car.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Phht! I'm sorry but that's just elitist rant. Better questions are "Do you know the indications for supplemental oxygen?" and "Do you know of any contraindications for supplemental oxygen?". O2 is fine for the most simple of people to administer safely.

Give O2 by low-flow when there is a serious injury, internal pain, head injury, and inadequate respirations or cyanosis. Low flow isn't going to be harmful to anyone and is safe for all first-aid uses until EMS arrives.

When giving low-flow O2 by nasal, there is only one contradiction that I can think of and that is around open flame.

Pardon me, TKO, but I disagree. You should know what your doing before you treat somebody with something. I have no sense of being better than anyone else.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Let me repeat the rules for Emergency Oxygen use in the U.S. Oxygen of Emergency use can be located in many non-medical places for use in an emergency by a lay person who hopefully has taken a basic O2 delivery course. O2 is considered non-perscription in an emergency but that does not mean just anyone can purchase O2 and use it for whatever. I am also an RRT as well as a Paramedic for many years and have yet to take Oxygen home with me.

There have been a lot of different interpretations for the "emergency O2" OTC use. The exemptions have been for airlines, schools, athletic clubs, LEOs, dive boats and various practitioners' offices including Chiropractors. Using their exemption approval to obtain O2 for purposes outside of their premises/purposes may not necessarily be part of the exemption. My health club has "public access" O2 tanks and most of the employees have had the National Safety Council training. However, these employees can not take the O2 off the premises with the chance of seeing a cardiac arrest on the way home if they are not acting on behalf of the healthclub.

http://www.lifecorporation.com/fda-gif.html

http://www.lifecorporation.com/cder.html

Fresh Air "2000" - A look at FDA's Medical Gas Requirements
(excerpted summary)

Fresh Air "2000" provides FDA's interpretation of how the minimum current good manufacturing practice (CGMPs) regulations apply to the manufacturing, filling, transfilling cascading, etc. of medical gases compressed and cryogenic. Please note this presentation is not all-inclusive.

(Edit. Note The following paragraph on page 13 provides the exemption for emergency oxygen from prescription RX requirements . Please read the "--- or for emergency use,..." phrase. It is not easy to interpret but the FDA does confirm therein that Emergency Oxygen remains Non-Prescription.
However, if a firm sells Oxygen U.S.P. to emergency medical services, i.e.' fire departments, rescue squads, ambulance companies, etc. or for emergency use, then the label is required to contain the statement: "For emergency use only when administered by properly trained personnel for oxygen deficiency and resuscitation. For all other medical applications, Rx Only."
(Edit. Note The following paragraph does appear on page 1 of 32, and it causes much confusion in the Emergency Oxygen industry, because you have to read page 13 to find the exemption.
Medical gases are prescription drugs that must be dispensed by prescription only. Each firm has a responsibility to determine if its consignee, not the patient is authorized to purchase the drug gas, and if required, is registered with FDA, and properly licensed with the state, where required prior to selling them medical gas.

http://www.lifecorporation.com/cder.html
another Quote:
Edit. Note The following further clarifies the present policy above, in an often quoted FDA policy letter.
In a letter dated 19 September, 1996 to the Compressed Gas Association from the FDA administration regarding the use and labeling of emergency oxygen, the FDA states: "FDA recognizes that there are medical emergencies in which there is not sufficient time to seek the assistance of a physician or hospital before the administration of medical oxygen may be necessary. In such emergencies, it is desirable that properly trained personnel ... be prepared and equipped to administer oxygen to persons in immediate need of oxygen. In these situations, the FDA believes that medical oxygen should be available. This has been the agency's position for more than 40 years."

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Its not the toys that make an EMT but her/his knowledge. This is a whole other topic, but make yourself better, read into things above your level and learn. If someone is in distress, you just may be able to figure out whats wrong, call for help, and support that person until help arrives. Thats the best thing you could possibly do for someone.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I've said it before and I'll say it again, carry as little as possible (Gloves is my big must-have) and stand next to a fully stocked newbie who has every gizmo known to Galls.