Bls in austin tx

Phil mincey

Forum Ride Along
Hey there everyone

I am transfering with amr from san diego to austin. Im looking for any helpful info on bls work in austin area. Most specifically what are the base hospitals, trauma centers, specialty centers, company w/ main 911 contract. Any info helps thanks.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
In terms of private services the two biggest players in the Austin area are Acadian and AMR, there are a few other smaller companies out there, but for the most part, the industry has been consolidated. Acadian has the Seton transfer contract and AMR has the St David's transfer contract, I don't know much else beyond that. Both companies have some 911 contracts in the surrounding areas, but from my understanding speaking with privates, the "911" trucks still do transfers. Travis, Williamson and Hays county (the three most populous counties in the area) all use some form of government run EMS services so you won't be running 911 there.

Unlike most of California, you can make base contact with any hospital, privates use cell phones while we (county EMS) use UHF radios to make contact.

University Medical Center Brackenridge (commonly called Brack) is only adult Level I trauma center in the Austin area, but there are three Level II trauma centers in the area, they are located St David's South Austin (just got certified), Round Rock Medical Center and Seton Medical Center Williamson.

For kiddos you have Dell Children's Medical Center as a pediatric level I trauma center and St David's Children's Hospital (located in North Austin Medical Center), which doesn't take trauma at this point.

There are four Comprehensive Stroke Centers (Brack, Austin Heart Hospital, Seton Main and St David's Main) and a bunch of Primary Stroke Centers (too many to name).

There are also a ton of STEMI Centers, off the top of my head I can think of at least 10 in Travis and Williamson Counties alone.

No burn centers in the area, the closest one is in San Antonio at SAMMC.

Job wise, I would recommend putting in your time at AMR while applying to 911 services or while you go through medic school.

Good luck and welcome to the 512.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Aqua, do you know anything about Marble falls or north blanco county?

aquabear

Aqua, do you know anything about Marble falls or north blanco county?
Don't know much about north blanco county, sorry. Marble Falls Area EMS has really progressive protocols (they have the same protocols and medical director that I work under) and work Medic/EMT. They usually hire people part time to start then promote from that pool when full time positions open up. They have a two hospitals in the area (Baylor, Scott and White Marble Falls and Seton Highland Lakes), but any STEMIs or Traumas have to go into Austin or Round Rock. In addition to 911, they do handle the transfers out of the hospital in Marble Falls.

HypOthymesia

Forum Probie
Don't know much about north blanco county, sorry. Marble Falls Area EMS has really progressive protocols (they have the same protocols and medical director that I work under) and work Medic/EMT. They usually hire people part time to start then promote from that pool when full time positions open up. They have a two hospitals in the area (Baylor, Scott and White Marble Falls and Seton Highland Lakes), but any STEMIs or Traumas have to go into Austin or Round Rock. In addition to 911, they do handle the transfers out of the hospital in Marble Falls.
I assume that makes you Wilco?

Also, Marble Falls is starting a new hiring process in August.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I can neither confirm nor deny that I may or may not work for wilco....
You neither confirm or deny you work for my dream service lol. One of our forum members just hired on up there from NV, and if GAAA doesn't get their **** together, I'll be applying as soon as you open another class

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You neither confirm or deny you work for my dream service lol. One of our forum members just hired on up there from NV, and if GAAA doesn't get their **** together, I'll be applying as soon as you open another class

NV to Texas huh? That's a long drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NV to Texas huh? That's a long drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No kidding, I bet it was just as long as mine from NM to far east Texas lol

troycombat

Forum Ride Along
Acadian only does IFT and nursing homes in Austin. They have 911 contract East of Austin w/c is I forgot the name of the Co. And Bexar Co. But as per 911 contract only Paramedics can ride with 911 calls.

OP
OP
Phil mincey

Phil mincey

Forum Ride Along
Acadian only does IFT and nursing homes in Austin. They have 911 contract East of Austin w/c is I forgot the name of the Co. And Bexar Co. But as per 911 contract only Paramedics can ride with 911 calls.
So paramedics run every 911 call? Can they downgrade to bls?

troycombat

Forum Ride Along
So paramedics run every 911 call? Can they downgrade to bls?
I've talked to one of their Medics before, he said as per Bexar Co. Even if it's a BLS, Paramedic will be riding a 911 call. So basically the basic will just be an extra set hands and will do a BLS IFT or nursing homes transports.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief

Acadian does 911 in Bastrop County, just east of Travis County and City of Austin. That said, I've seen many ATCEMS trucks on the western side of Bastrop.

I have a friend who was a paramedic for Acadian in Bastrop and she didn't much care for it. They still do plenty of transports, and she often ended shift out of the county.

RocketMedic

Being a medic for Acadian is frustrating, undercompensated and limited in what you can do.

bizzy522

Forum Crew Member
Acadian and AMR will be your big dogs for IFTs. Acadian does 911 in Bastrop county.

Austin Travis County EMS is the 911 contract. Very busy service and a great place to gain experience, especially if you are an EMT. If you get your paramedic you will have to work in a BLS capacity for a yearish. With fairly short transport times the protocols are adequate for their needs.

Williamson County EMS is a GREAT service. Just north of Austin. Strong protocols, mixed Urban/Rural environment. I think they only Hire Paramedics (could be mistaken)

I work for San Marcos Hays County EMS. It is a good place to work and is getting better and better by the month. We have great protocols, top notch equipment, nice ambulances. Good mix of Urban and rural with a collage in the heart of town (with 40k students). Great working relationship with local FDs.

RocketMedic

Acadian and AMR will be your big dogs for IFTs. Acadian does 911 in Bastrop county.

Austin Travis County EMS is the 911 contract. Very busy service and a great place to gain experience, especially if you are an EMT. If you get your paramedic you will have to work in a BLS capacity for a yearish. With fairly short transport times the protocols are adequate for their needs.

Williamson County EMS is a GREAT service. Just north of Austin. Strong protocols, mixed Urban/Rural environment. I think they only Hire Paramedics (could be mistaken)

I work for San Marcos Hays County EMS. It is a good place to work and is getting better and better by the month. We have great protocols, top notch equipment, nice ambulances. Good mix of Urban and rural with a collage in the heart of town (with 40k students). Great working relationship with local FDs.

Are y'all still paying like 13.50 an hour though?

aquabear

Williamson County only hires medics and that will most likely never change.