Best Trauma Shears?

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
I will second the free ones. I just grab from the giant box at work and toss em after a really bloody call. We do not have an autoclave so disposable is the way we go. Works fine. I'm sure there are better but I don't want to deal with cleaning them.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I don't have any particular attachment to my trauma shears. If they get disgusting (my last pair became covered in rapidly cooling hot liquid asphalt on a call), I throw them out and get a new pair from the bushel full of free ones that we have at the squad, dropped off by a drug rep years ago.

EMS conventions are also good places to pick up six or seven free pairs at a time from various vendors.

I spent money on a nice penlight, because I hate the disposable ones that never work when they need to, but I draw the line at paying for shears. :)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
(Free shears, pro-rated against admission fee for conference..:eek:)

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
(Free shears, pro-rated against admission fee for conference..:eek:)

The trade show at EMS Today is only like... $10 or something? I'm just saying, if you're going to the conference anyway, the admission fee is a sunk cost. :)

mycrofft

Geez, the two Disaster Management ones I went to were about $80 without hotel and nothing neat like that. I was robbed!

I remember someone in Palos Verdes CA was marketing a version of a vibratory saw (like for casts) to cut clothes many years ago.

Some other candidates:
laser_scissors_Electric_scissors_Scissors.jpg

AAAAAnhfgzYAAAAAANH0AA.jpg

mycrofft

Old-sheep-shears-hoof-trimmer-agricultural-tools-provided_image.jpg

This is from my "Bat-belt", Eastern Ambulance Service, 1980.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Prestige Fluoride coated sheers from Amazon. I don't use the sheers everyday, but they work great and look cool all the time.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Are you looking for something like this?

362R353_XTractorSCutterA.jpg

mycrofft

Does that fit into a holster?
see replies above.
OP, thanks for the fun subject!

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Does that fit into a holster?
see replies above.

I'll have to check a galls catalog to find out... I'll have to stop using it as a doorstop tough.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

I cut a redwood 4X4 with one to show some boy scouts and it showered them with splinters.

xxTriNakedxx

Forum Probie
I guess ther is always my trusty Ninja sword as an alternative...

So that's where it went! Gee, thanks! :) I need my ninja sword back, please!

Disclaimer: I know this guy! lol.

JS (that's your new nickname) - I should put a signature on my profile stating that I know you so people don't think I'm whacked out on anything... lol. All in good time will they be able to develop that opinion on their own though.

&& to answer the post - I have the cheap bandage scissors as well, with a hot pink handle. I have black ones too but I surely don't carry those over my pink ones. :)

mycrofft

n71xi, how did you get the camera into my bathroom?

No, the wood exploded, showering the boys and their den mother with FLYING splinters. Good thing they all blinked at once.

"Sir, we're going to put this asbestos screen over your face, we're cutting off your clothes now".
BAM.
"One button..."

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
These tweezers should work nicely.

643010.jpg