Best employers in EMS

350chevy

Forum Probie
So I was thinking the other day about where I wanted to go work when I got my EMT. I was thinking about maybe Terre Haute or Indianapolis are because I always like it over there and I have alot of family there. Also, who is best to work for? A private service, a hospital owned service, or a city/gov't run agency? Thanks again for answering my questions.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
As with anything, it depends. I currently work for a muni service, but I've seen some FDs I wouldn't want to work for, some privates I'd shoot myself before working there, and some hospital based services that have horrible reputations. There are good and bad in every type of system

iftmedic

Forum Lieutenant
Stay away from the private ambulance companies, they are sleezy in a every way. They are all about low balling EMTs and Paramedics with pay, yet charging through the roof at the expense of your license or cert, but pay you a little more than a Mcdonalds employee, but atleast Micky Ds gives medical dental and vision some of these companies don't. This is the way it is in SoCal I don't know about rest of the country but I'm pretty disillusioned.
Maximizing profits, supply and demand. To many ems workers willing to work forr crap.

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Private is a broad description, so that's not true with all. The private service that does Transport/First Response 911 in Albuquerque NM is actually a non-profit service that is run by the hospital (But it is not hospital-based) and offers decent benefits and pay.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I prefer municipalities, I like my job to provide a salary, insurance, and other benefits with organized things like sick and vacation time.

I have worked for 2 municipalities (counties) and they were fine. I also had a fine time working for AMR in Richmond, VA, but that was like a municipality because it was a public utility model.

Agree with the others about the small private ambulance services. Generally speaking, they are not able to care much about the employees.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
So I was thinking the other day about where I wanted to go work when I got my EMT. I was thinking about maybe Terre Haute or Indianapolis are because I always like it over there and I have alot of family there. Also, who is best to work for? A private service, a hospital owned service, or a city/gov't run agency? Thanks again for answering my questions.

What are you looking for out of a career in EMS, in order of importance? Pay, scope of practice/autonomy, benefits (medical and fringe), schedule, pension vs 401k/403b, union or right to work, career development opportunities, 911, IFT/Critical Care, working conditions, job security and overall stability of the company/agency/dept?

Prioritize these items, and we'll be able to better answer your question.