Best Defib unit

SFDMD

Forum Ride Along
Hello;

My name is Kerry, I'm an MD that came up as a medic over the years(Started in 1979).

I'm currently helping a local unit determine a good replacement Defib unit for the rigs. My feeling is that it should be able to withstand substantial abuse and still work properly. (With proper maintenance etc etc)

What would your opinions be on a unit appropriate to relatively high volume ALS operations?

Kerry

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
What functions do you need? 12 Lead? NIBP? SpO2? ETCO2?

Does it need to interface with a paticular charting program (I think Zoll's monitor is rigged to link with their RescueNet software).

Honestly - there are 3 major manufacturers... all of which are making products that have proven themsevles in the EMS market. PhysioControl has the LifePak 12. Phillips has the MRx, and Zoll has the E-series (which seems to be targeted towards EMS) as well as the M-series monitors.

Choice of monitors boils down to personal preference... any of the three listed will preform adequatly in prehospital EMS. I'd think that the best way would be to try to get demos... if possible, put them in service for a little while so your street-level providers can see what is out there.

Personally - the MRx is the newest to the market... and they seem to have some additional options, as well as a larger screen. Additionally, Phillip's AED's seem to be REALLY popular (espicially with Physio/Medtronic's FDA issues now), and being able to use the AED pads isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First, welcome Ken. Physio still makes a decent durable units. Dependent upon on what you want to monitor...Life Pak series is still common. The LP 12 is very commonly used yet a little heavy, but I like it because it has everything I need on one monitor. XII lead, ETCo2 with wave form (sideline and mainstream alike); Spo2, B/P as well one can integrate blue tooth capability so one can send XII lead as well if needed any other monitoring device.. hemodynamic such as art lines. Rugged enough for durability.

There are other popular ones such as Philco, Zoll, MRL. Each of course has its advantages and of course disadvantages. One I cannot recommend is MRL brand, I have had used them and continue find problems with them.

Again, welcome to the forum.

R/r 911

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Asking which defibrillator is that best is like asking which toppings are best on pizza, it's really up to the end-user.

As has been pointed out, there are really three main choices:
1. Physio-Control LIFEPAK 12 Defibrillator/Monitor
2. Zoll E Series Defibrillator
3. Phillips HeartStart MrX Monitor/Defibrillator

If I were you I'd see what models people in the area use, and what brand BLS units are using. Our BLS units use the LifePak 500, so the LifePak 12 seems like the logical choice. Have a representative from each company come out and let you test and play around with the unit.

I hope that helps!

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
as far as durability, i have been told(though not confirmed it myself) that the lp12 will float....

OP
OP
S

SFDMD

Forum Ride Along
Asking which defibrillator is that best is like asking which toppings are best on pizza, it's really up to the end-user.

Exception being when the FDA recalls your pepperoni. ;)

Thanks for the info.

kerry