Best cure for a hangover

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Lets keep it on topic guys. If you want to discuss oxygen over-administration, start a new thread.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I heard that sending me money tends to help...

MountainMedic

Forum Probie
I read somewhere semi-legitimate that coke is the best hangover cure. My protocol:

1. Finish drinking
2. Drink a liter of water
3. At least one hour between last drink and bed
4. Liter of water upon waking
5. Coke if hungover

But let's face it, hydroponics are the best prophylaxis (not that I do that...)

sinus

Forum Probie
I think part of the hangover is rebound CNS hyperactivity (mini-withdrawal). Does anyone agree? It's just my opinion, of course.

It would explain why hair of the dog works pretty well.

DPM

Forum Captain
I have a great trick for people who, like myself, forget to drink water before bed. If you're headed out and you know you're going to hang one on, prepare your bedroom. I have a tray, from a canteen somewhere. I don't know why but I do. Before I leave my apartment the tray goes on the bed, with a pint of water on it and 2 ibuprofen. Everything is ready for me when I get home and I can't ignore it. I can't get in bed without moving the tray and the water, and to get the water off my bed I have to pick it up, so once it's in my hand I might as well drink it. Foolproof...ish

Obviously this doesn't work if you don't have any prior warning, or if you're so smashed you fall asleep on the floor. Or on the bed with the water. Id doesn't matter how hard you try and explain it, you can't spill a pint on yourself when blacked out and convince anyone that it's only water.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I think part of the hangover is rebound CNS hyperactivity (mini-withdrawal). Does anyone agree? It's just my opinion, of course.

It would explain why hair of the dog works pretty well.

A lot of interesting info here
http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/hangover2.htm

such as this quote(there is a lot more to it, but here is one of the basics) W:censored:hen alcohol is consumed, it enters the bloodstream and causes the pituitary gland in the brain to block the creation of vasopressin (also known as the antidiuretic hormone). Without this chemical, the kidneys send water directly to the bladder instead of reabsorbing it into the body. This is why drinkers have to make frequent trips to the bathroom after urinating for the first time after drinking.
According to studies, drinking about 250 milliliters of an alcoholic beverage causes the body to expel 800 to 1,000 milliliters of water; that's four times as much liquid lost as gained. This diuretic effect decreases as the alcohol in the bloodstream decreases, but the aftereffects help create a hangover.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordoemt

Forum Lieutenant
18ga with 1l of ns wide open and maybe follow up with a banana bag if you can snag one from an ER lol

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I am was a heavy drinker/partyer in my 20's. Its how I conceived 2 kids. :unsure: either way. I learned this regimen after a few nights of waking up and feeling like a total train wreck.

1. know what drinks will not agree with you. Avoids the puke fest
2. hydrate before and pregame appropriately nice dinner, and hydrate accordingly
3. Pedialyte before bed I learned this from watching disturbs M.O.B. documentary and pantera. Hell it actually mixes well with vodka. As does Gatorade. so you kill two birds with one stone for the overachievers..

I've been hangover free for quite some time now. Oh and on that note I also pace myself If I Know im gonna be out till 2am. "closing time in PA" I tend to pace my beverages throughout the night vs. slamming it down and being drunk at 10pm.

Rockies

Forum Crew Member
5 hours energy Extra Strength. But for the love of god dont get the regular one if your trying to cure a hangover. Only the extra strength works. And hurr durr drink plenty of water.