being a women in ems..

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I give up

Good call. You're just digging yourself into a hole.

To the OP, physical appearance should make no difference in hiring, so long as you are able to pass whatever lift/physical test the company has.

Trashtruck

Forum Captain
im curious if physical appearance will make a difference in getting hired? now , im not like a lift assist or something but being a women in ems i feel im almost put to a different standard... of appearance and competency... is it harder for a women to get hired (either personally or if you were to hire someone). i know this is a male dominated profession so im just curious if i will get wait listed because i was up against a 6'4 bodybuilder and im like 5'2 on a good day when its not raining. be honest dont be politically correct because we all know we arnt:beerchug:.

Yes. It will. You'll never know because it won't be the reason given for hiring or not hiring you. I'm not saying it will be the final determinant, but it will have some bearing(even if it's subconsciously). We're human. We respond to appearance. Males more so than females.
I don't care about being PC.
If you're an attractive female, you'll have an edge in getting hired. Attractive people have it 'easier' in life. Some get by on their looks. Pick that apart all you want...
Because you're a female, it will help you get hired in a traditionally male-dominated field. Who wants a gender discrimination lawsuit and not enough females on the payroll to fight it?

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
So what ive learned is dress like mother mary but if im not getting the right response i will unwrap hijab and let my hair hang loose.... Maybe even reveille im a emt stripper and put on a show... Ill get hired on the spot!!!! ;) i mean ill show them my resume and awesome personality and maybe a little boob and it will be a done deal! awesome

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
So what ive learned is dress like mother mary but if im not getting the right response i will unwrap hijab and let my hair hang loose.... Maybe even reveille im a emt stripper and put on a show... Ill get hired on the spot!!!! ;) i mean ill show them my resume and awesome personality and maybe a little boob and it will be a done deal! awesome

Overkill

EMTnurse

Forum Probie
Our squad is mostly men for the paid staff, but overwhelmingly female for volunteer. It's not necessarily that they don't hire women, we haven't had as many women apply. But they don't hire men over women.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Yes. It will. You'll never know because it won't be the reason given for hiring or not hiring you. I'm not saying it will be the final determinant, but it will have some bearing(even if it's subconsciously). We're human. We respond to appearance. Males more so than females.
I don't care about being PC.
If you're an attractive female, you'll have an edge in getting hired. Attractive people have it 'easier' in life. Some get by on their looks. Pick that apart all you want...
Because you're a female, it will help you get hired in a traditionally male-dominated field. Who wants a gender discrimination lawsuit and not enough females on the payroll to fight it?

Wait till they get a hold of that one. Hopefully the one hiring will look at credentials!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mariemt

Forum Captain
I've just noticed in general on my calls not always..... children and older patients respond to women better when hurting, women seem to respond better to men. I don't know if it is because women are connected to a mother/ caretaker role or what.
Its been a very long day, I have a chronically ill child and things don't always come out right when I'm tired. Hense the snort and giving up earlier. Wasn't worth trying to explain at the time. -_-

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Never its a great idea!! :ph34r: no need for school when you have a hot bod!! Which i dont have so the latter of my previous statement will be the plan.... Is it better to go in dress attire or uniform?
A slutty nurse uniform.

In all seriousness. Confidence is key

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Seriously, one aspect many males bring to field EMS is the macho Johnny and Roy/Chicago Fire thing of being paramilitary rescue men.

If you could read EMT's dreams, the guys are all about extricating thankful Miss America contestants. I don't know what female candidates tend to dream about. Maybe more variety than men. Maybe about rescuing Johnny and Roy.
johnny+and+roy.jpg

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
I've just noticed in general on my calls not always..... children and older patients respond to women better when hurting, women seem to respond better to men. I don't know if it is because women are connected to a mother/ caretaker role or what.
Its been a very long day, I have a chronically ill child and things don't always come out right when I'm tired. Hense the snort and giving up earlier. Wasn't worth trying to explain at the time. -_-

I'm sure they understand where you're coming from...they're just giving you a hard time ;). I do agree that women bring the softness that men don't always have...most of the time not all of the time...but men are also very compassionate as well and they do have their soft sides :).

Easternemt

Forum Crew Member
Never its a great idea!! :ph34r: no need for school when you have a hot bod!! Which i dont have so the latter of my previous statement will be the plan.... Is it better to go in dress attire or uniform?

Formal clothing for the interview and maybe just the uniform pants for the skills test (if they will be conducted on two different days). The company I applied for was sort of laid back, so perhaps you want to be formal during both interviews if you're applying at a bigger company.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I agree with your generalization, in general :)

I think male-female partnerships often work very well in the field because patients (and partners) have access to both Martian and Venetian skill sets. Yes, in general, they are different.

hogwiley

Forum Captain
There's no shortage of women in EMS. I wouldn't even call it a male dominated profession. Its not like construction or auto mechanics. Fire Departments are the only part of EMS where women are rare, and if you aren't a firefighter that's not an issue.

The important thing is whether you can do the lifting, not whether you are female or LOOK like you can do the lifting.

Have you been at the gym doing squats and deadlifts and lifted cots and boards with people on them during EMT school? If you cant do the lifting it doesn't matter what you look like, this will become apparent almost immediately, either during the interview process or your first day on the job.

dropdeded

Forum Ride Along
Just a heads up but the male ego is pretty delicate, just be prepared for those that feel threatened by a "strong" in all aspects female paramedic. Anyone who tells you that's not so (and believes it) is in MY opinion just plain delusional.

Good luck

Ed

OP
OP
I

Infinity

Forum Crew Member
well thank you all.. still waiting on my state.. and am now working on my upper body strength a little more

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
I do not think it makes any difference; thirty years ago maybe ....

firecoins

IFT Puppet
There is no place for men or women in EMS.