Becoming an EMT

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum so I apologize if I have made a mistake in posting this here.

Earlier this week my friend asked me to join the volunteer rescue squad of which he is a member. I had considered volunteering as a fire fighter previously, but never followed through with it. After thinking about it I decided that I would like to join him and his team -- not just to join but to put my spare time into something that would benefit people and not only myself. My friend, who is not yet a certified EMT, will be taking EMT class with me beginning next week. Apparently once I am voted into the team I will begin running calls with a crew (for the first-hand experience?).

What should I expect as a new person to the world of EMS?

OP
OP
J

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
Nope, it's a volunteer department.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
If your only going to be with the fire department, unless they transport patients, you wont be doing much.

OP
OP
J

JohnJ

Forum Crew Member
If your only going to be with the fire department, unless they transport patients, you wont be doing much.

I think I made my original post a little confusing. I wanted to volunteer as a fire fighter a few months ago but the rescue squad I'll be with is EMT. No fire trucks, just ambulances. :p

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Volunteering is a good way to gain experience. It'll help you decide if you want to pursue EMS.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
It'll look good on your resume.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure if this is the proper forum so I apologize if I have made a mistake in posting this here.

Rule #1: Never apologize for honest mistakes in the course of trying to genuinely learn something.

Strokin&SmokinGirl97

Forum Probie

Earlier this week my friend asked me to join the volunteer rescue squad of which he is a member. I had considered volunteering as a fire fighter previously, but never followed through with it. After thinking about it I decided that I would like to join him and his team -- not just to join but to put my spare time into something that would benefit people and not only myself. My friend, who is not yet a certified EMT, will be taking EMT class with me beginning next week. Apparently once I am voted into the team I will begin running calls with a crew (for the first-hand experience?).

Are you being voted on as an attendent? If so you will mainly just assist the emt. I joined a volunteer dept. as a cadet and thats all i did until i was an emt.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

You will meet new people, help people, and if it's a good busy place, learn a lot.

go for it

Strokin&SmokinGirl97

Forum Probie
I'm assuming I would only be assisting the EMT until I finish the EMT class.

I'd do it I learned so much and that helped me alot in class also and the people on your department offer alot of insight and are willing to work with you if you are having and trouble with anything