Bariatric Transports

ralanier

Forum Ride Along
Doing some research those doing IFT are you using a specialized bariatric equipment?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
With the advent of the wing side rails on the cot and auto loader systems, we have minimal use for specialized bariatric equipment. But this is Colorado, I would have a different opinion if I live elsewhere I’m sure.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This is true, the Stryker power load and the Power Pro stretcher have changed the game. We only use bari equipment for very morbidly obese patients, in excess of 500 pounds. And that’s only because it gets unsafe using a stretcher at load height when it has that type of weight on it. (The stretcher says it can support 770 pounds, but the battery will struggle)

A dedicated bari truck with equipment designed to make these patients comfortable and ensure they are transported safely is important if you’re going to do this type of work with any regularity.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
A dedicated bari truck with equipment designed to make these patients comfortable and ensure they are transported safely is important if you’re going to do this type of work with any regularity.
The transport company I work with has a bari truck or two in each of their service areas. I very much second this. As to how the bari truck gets used, that's up to the company. My company usually keeps their bari trucks on standby so that a crew that does get a bari transport can go pick up the bari truck for that run and return it afterward. Every once in a while they'll put the bari truck on the road and the crew will take regular calls until a bari truck is needed. Then they're tasked for that particular call.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
I am 911 only, no IFT. We’ve seen the same as the others with the advent of the power load system. I don’t honestly remember the last time I felt I needed a bariatric truck and it would honestly take awhile to get one where I am now..

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
My part time AMR job does have a bari rig with ramps and the super wide manual cot. Usually they send a BLS crew to bring it out to us or a supervisor if it’s urgent. It’s also available to mutual aid agencies if the system isn’t too overloaded.

I have also used wheelchair cans to transport bariatric patients who lack the mobility to exit their wheelchair. It’s not ideal but neither is extricating a patient from the chair to transfer them to the cot. I ride in the wheelie van with the bags and monitor and then we don’t bill.

Last edited: