Baltimore City FD - Lateral Entry Paramedics

mikie

Forum Lurker
my 2 cents on BCFD

FYI

Medic = Intermediate in Baltimore city FYI, so most ALS units are just EMT-I (or CRT per the state) but you'll find paramedics (supervisors, other personnel from lateral entry, etc)

but they are desperate for EMS crews, nonetheless! Busy busy busy city (some stations not so much).

after doing some clinical rotations with them (8 more this semester), everyone practically gets L&S to the hospital, not a lot of time for interventions since the hospitals are also within spitting distance no matter where you are. Great people though!

FireResuce48

Forum Crew Member
Pay is the lowest in the state as well. The city is continuing to hurt financially yet they have been starting up a bunch of academy classes.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Pay is the lowest in the state as well. The city is continuing to hurt financially yet they have been starting up a bunch of academy classes.

no kidding, i know a few people that just went through a class (going to get hired), and he was mentioning they're going to be starting 2 classes soon...

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
I have been on the eligible list since Nov. Haven't heard anything since then.... think I may give HR a call and see whats up.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Towards the bottom, it says that all employees must obtain FF1 and FF2 through the fire academy. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that Baltimore has the newer employees ride the box exclusively for a certain amount of time, maybe two years give or take, and then they can just do suppression and never be required to ride on the bus from that point on.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
46Young is correct. All candidates must pass the CPAT and FFI and FFII. I was sent a letter twice for the CPAT process and I turned it down because I'm unwilling to do the fire requirement.

I wouldn't want me as a crew member on an engine. I don't know fire, I'm afraid of fire, I don't like fire, and I'm not comfortable with all that crap on me to play in fire. Knowing that about myself, I refuse to put anyone in the position of having to rely on me in a fire situation. Let's face it, even though you're technically EMS only, there is no rule that says they can't pull you to a fire detail if they really want to. I'm just not willing to take that chance. I'm really not willing to bet three other crew members lives on my inability to perform as a fire fighter either.

If it were truly EMS only, no fire requirement, I'd paramedic the hell out of that city. I'm a native of Baltimore, and I love that town! I love running calls and being busy, and I love the urban environment. It's the ONLY thing I miss about Little Rock.

OP
OP
18G

18G

Paramedic
From what I been reading on the Watchdesk.com from ppl who work for BCFD... it sounds like they are in dire need of ALS providers. The chance of getting pulled as a Lateral-Entry Paramedic to ride an Engine is prob as good as a person in hell getting some ice cold water... there are so many ppl in front of you that would die for the spot on the Fire Truck.

I have no desire to fight fire... I already have FFI so getting it again in addition to FF2 shouldn't be all that difficult.