Balancing EMT shifts and college?

HornedFrog3

Forum Ride Along
Hello. I just got my basic a couple months ago, and I'm wondering if it would be feasible to work as an EMT when I (hopefully) return to college full time in January. Have any of you done this before; do you think it's even possible? To make things more difficult, my school is in Fort Worth, TX and as far as I know the only services that will hire basics are in Dallas an hour away. I live in Dallas at the moment, but like I said, I hope to be back in Fort Worth this upcoming year. Are some EMS companies flexible with students, or will I just get replaced by anyone with more available time slots when/if I return to school? Thanks in advance for any input.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yes, it's doable (how do you think people put themselves through medic school, with all the clinicals and rotations required, along with school?). However, working full time and college full time... not fun.

As far as places that hire basics in DFW, there are PLENTY. Most are IFT, such as AMR, CareFlite, and other in Dallas, but some 911s hire EMTs as well, such as MedStar in Ft Worth. (However, MedStar is currently over-flowed with EMTs)

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
I worked part time as a FF/EMT while I went to college full time. It is doable, but tough, college is hard enough as it is. Places like CareFlite do have PRN EMT slots where you select shifts, minimum of two per month and have to attend 50% of staff meetings per year. As far as I know we are still hiring EMT's but we have had several hiring classes here recently so idk, I do know we are short staffed on the East Side though.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
On a side note with this topic.... who's 911 contracted in Highland park area in Dallas? At the time (while at college) I wasn't an EMT so I wasn't paying attention.

Side note #2: Horned Frog...... must be a TCU student.... how bout that battle for the iron skillet.... yeah... thats right, we (SMU) got it back <_<

Nervegas

Forum Lieutenant
On a side note with this topic.... who's 911 contracted in Highland park area in Dallas? At the time (while at college) I wasn't an EMT so I wasn't paying attention.

Side note #2: Horned Frog...... must be a TCU student.... how bout that battle for the iron skillet.... yeah... thats right, we (SMU) got it back <_<

Working at the SMU game today lol, and im a Longhorn so pffft to both of you.

DFD runs all 911 in the city limits.

DFD runs backup 911 in the highland park area, HP has their own FD and EMS that are first out on all 911 calls, DFD just backs them up for M/A when needed or if they go level on boxes. HP is a DPS though, so they are all rolled in to one department. Univ. Park even has their own FD/EMS for first out calls as well.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Highland Park is a tri-service department, with most members being a Peace Officer and either a Paramedic or firefighter.

(Yup, that's a gun on his belt and a Paramedic patch on his shoulder.
ShowImage.aspx

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I worked as a contingent/PRN EMT-Basic while going to college full time. In retrospect I wish I didn't, I wish I enjoyed college more and had a more traditional job, but it was a good experience.

emtvic17

Forum Ride Along
Possible? Yes. Hard? Yes. I went into medic school right after EMT, working 2 part time jobs and still in medic school at the moment, 6 more months to go, the medic program lasts a year here. It is hard, but if you want it bad enough, you will find a way to make it work.

OP
OP
H

HornedFrog3

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for everyone's input. Good to know I've got a shot.

Yep, the best team you guys have had in decades barely beat us in a deep rebuilding year. It was bound to happen some day though. Glad to see that June Jones has brought you back to a competitive level.

MissK

Forum Crew Member
I currently work full-time with a 911 company that does 48-72 hour shifts, and I'm in medic school full-time. My manager is extremely helpful when it comes to getting shifts covered and does what he can to accommodate me so that I can do well in school.

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
I am taking a full time EMT job at an independent living/assisted living/SNF community. Is it the best EMT experience? No. Is it relevant? Yeah. I am going to be working 32-40 hours a week (8 hour day shifts) while also attending college. I will be cutting my course load down a bit next semester though. I plan to use this job to get me money to possibly pay off my truck, fund more school etc.. Eventually I will try for a job on an ambulance for experience before medic school. This job will be good experience to get onto an ambulance. Its pretty competitive down here.

TreySpooner65

Forum Lieutenant
I currently work full-time with a 911 company that does 48-72 hour shifts, and I'm in medic school full-time. My manager is extremely helpful when it comes to getting shifts covered and does what he can to accommodate me so that I can do well in school.

Good for him. It always helps to have a boss that understands how important education is.

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Hello. I just got my basic a couple months ago, and I'm wondering if it would be feasible to work as an EMT when I (hopefully) return to college full time in January. Have any of you done this before; do you think it's even possible? To make things more difficult, my school is in Fort Worth, TX and as far as I know the only services that will hire basics are in Dallas an hour away. I live in Dallas at the moment, but like I said, I hope to be back in Fort Worth this upcoming year. Are some EMS companies flexible with students, or will I just get replaced by anyone with more available time slots when/if I return to school? Thanks in advance for any input.

I did it for a while, but eventually school won out and the EMT job's been put on the back burner for a bit. There are a lot of variables to consider, and the situation will be different for everyone. Keep in mind that for x number of hours in class, you can easily be spending 2-3x that on reading and other assignments...almost a full time job right there.

If you're having doubts about being able to make it work, I'd say wait until you have enough time to commit fully to the job. It will be far easier to learn how to work on an ambulance when you can work full-time hours without other distractions. My suggestion: find something to pay the bills until summer break, work full-time as an EMT over the summer to get some experience, and then see about part-time or full-time EMT work in conjunction with school in the fall.

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant

Definitely possible. Just make sure to find a good school/work/life balance. Don't compromise your studies

Have you checked to see if your college has a campus response team where you could either work and/or volunteer as an EMT?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Definitely possible. Just make sure to find a good school/work/life balance. Don't compromise your studies

Have you checked to see if your college has a campus response team where you could either work and/or volunteer as an EMT?

I work my school, which is awesome since my bosses understand my academic schedule and are able to plan it accordingly. I don't work as a "traditional" EMT though, most of my job is centered around Sports Medicine, with the EMT skills required in case something goes awry. I usually work about twelve hours of practice a week, and 16 hours covering games, per week. The games are on Fridays and Saturdays, so they don't effect school, just my social life. I get enough hours to make a fair amount money for a college kid who is in "pre-healthcare" classes.

If you are not dead set on working on ambulance, consider talking to your schools athletic training staff to see if they have a student program. You'll learn a tremendous amount about medicine, and it will make you a better EMT, is definitely has for me when I work on the truck over the summer/winter.

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
It works fine for me. Night shifts where I study between calls (if I can), ditto on weekends. Just about time management

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
I currently work fulltime as a paramedic, while attending college 18ch/semester.

It isnt always easy, but the system I work in generally allows plenty of time for reading or studying during my on duty shifts, and I have 4 consecutive days off everytime i leave work..so it works out well.

tylerp1

Forum Crew Member
It's definitely possible. I worked regular part-time in our ER here in town while I had 18 credit hours a semester. Did I learn quickly how to balance work, school, gf, and a social life? You bet your bottom dollar I did. Still walked away with my BS and cumulative GPA of 3.92.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Highland Park is a tri-service department, with most members being a Peace Officer and either a Paramedic or firefighter.

(Yup, that's a gun on his belt and a Paramedic patch on his shoulder.
ShowImage.aspx

So does that mean they're fire/pigs?