Bad Month

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Trauma?

:unsure:

<CRY>

I haven't even seen my trauma bags in a week, my wife hid my keys.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I see the intervention did happen as planned then Whacker. :lol: :lol:

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
smiley_crying-ss.png

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Jun 10 2005, 10:34 AM
smiley_crying-ss.png
Alex... First step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Somewhere down the line is solving that problem.. Gimme your bags... I'm at least in the same state!!!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Jun 10 2005, 08:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Jun 10 2005, 08:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Jun 10 2005, 10:34 AM
smiley_crying-ss.png
Alex... First step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.

Somewhere down the line is solving that problem.. Gimme your bags... I'm at least in the same state!!! [/b][/quote]
You'll have to kill me first.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Whacker... if they kill you, can I use your bags on ya?

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, I've finally got an accurate update on our department member that was injured in the third accident. She broke all ribs on her left side with flail segments, broke 4 ribs on the right with flail segments, broken collarbone, broken pelvis, ruptured spleen, herniated diaphram, punctured & collapsed both lungs, and had a concussion.

She was removed from ICU the other day and is now in recovery. She had three chest tubes inserted (which are now removed) and was on a vent for a while. The docs expect her to be confined to a wheelchair for a while until everything heals, but she is now able to put some weight on her right side.

The docs are pretty confident that she'll make a full recovery.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It's amazing what hospitals can do now-a-days.

I'm glad to hear everything is going so well.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
WOW! That is such good news.

Happy to hear it.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
WOW, she was really beaten up. Glad to hear she is recovering!

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
Yes CISD can be a pain. From my recent event of losing two friends and being the first one there to bear witness of the aftermath it gets to you. I didn't take the opportunity to listen what they have to say, but afer restless nights, not concentrating, nightmares, and waking up in cold sweats you kinda have to realize that you need someone to talk to. I mainly looked into the help of my loved ones and friends to get me by, but they do help a bit.... :)

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
In a wierd twist of events, we had just returned from a haystack fire and were toned out for an 18yoF C/C bleeding from post-op incision. We arrive on scene, and it was the 18yo I transported with her infant from the 2nd accident (two fatalities).

She was released from the hospital yesterday with the femur fx and radial/ulna fx as her only serious injuries. Her 15yo sister was released from the hospita the next day, and the infant was release about three days ago. Her mother is still at the Level 1 trauma center, but is expected to make a good recovery.

We talked a little bit about the accident, and she remembered who I was (which is good, because she still doesn't remember much of the actual accident). She had to graduate high school in abstentia, but she still graduated. She is expected to make a complete recovery.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I think the opportunity to see our patients again, interact with them again, find out how they are doing is a really good thing for EMS people (usually).

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
It is amazing how things go in EMS. In my system we have had a slew of fatal MVA's recently. Just had another on my shift last night. I think if I added carefully I would need two more hands to add up all of the MVA's I have attended on recently. I would like to post some pics but I do not have a program that will let me blur out licence plates right now. But I will say this, it wears ya down after awhile so take care of you before you can't take care of you or your pt's.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by coloradoemt@Jun 17 2005, 06:12 PM
But I will say this, it wears ya down after awhile so take care of you before you can't take care of you or your pt's.
This is the truest thing ever. It really need to be reinforced and stuck in our minds more. It is not bad to show that things affect you... if they didnt you wouldnt be human.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
It is great to hear / see your patients again.

I've had a few OD / Psych calls where I will bump into the pt. at a fair or other event, and they will say something like "Thanks for your help last october. I've been clean for 6 months now, and am getting married this fall to the guy/gal/thing I had a baby with." And eventually the call will come back to me, and I'll congratulate them.....

As much as I might not recognize them, I was there when they were having the worst time in their life, and they will always remember me.

My toughest call was my first MVC Fatal - kid went to my school, a freshman, and I didn't find out outcome was fatal until next morning. In school. Where everyone wanted to know what happened.

Jon