Babies!

reaper

Working Bum
I don't get why everyone WANTS to deliver a baby. It seems very messy and I'm terrified that if I ever DO deliver a baby that I'm gonna drop it. They don't call me butterfingers for nothing! :[

Mainly because even I like to bring a life into the world, instead of always watching them leave!;)

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Catch!!

I have caught 2 in my life time so far, I was when I was a nurse's aide and I was told to take the patient up stairs to O.B. ( she was a walk in pre registered) That was a baby boy in the elevator,( I was 19 at the time....scared out of my mind!!! When those elevator doors opened boy could I yell!!!) Mom and baby boy did very well! The second was about a year and a half ago, a baby girl, both mom and baby did well! :)

csly27

Forum Lieutenant
I cant wait for my first delivery. That would be my ideal first call. I have brought 4 of my own very healthy boys into this world I had help though lol. And I have been there when some of my friends have delivered. Yeah it may be kinda nasy but at the same time it is the most amazing thing that I beleive you can ever whitness. How could you not want to be apart of something so great, I get that things can go wrong I have seen that as well that is not so great but at least i know that i was there to support my friend when she needed it most.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
a couple i've delivered and i tell you it is weird the first time. You have a ton of wierd stuff going through your mind...i did. so far they were all cephalic and all was up to mom on those. knock on wood.^_^

MAC4NH

Forum Crew Member
20+ years and I've yet to deliver a baby in the field. I did get to deliver one last month though during my L&D rotation in medic school.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Why emergent? Where there other issues going on with her besides the impending delivery? Just curious is all. Unless there was something else going on, we would be in so much trouble around here for running in hot with a patient in labor.

Code three transport is routine for patient's in labor in LA, at least in my service.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
None for me yet...the few calls I've had that were dispatched as "possible labor" turned out not to be...

We're in our Special Populations section of paramedic right now...& this semester, we do our L&D rotations...it's all a little scary to me! All that screaming & pushing...yikes!

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Pt. in labor? I'm driving!
One guy I work with had done 11, 7 in the field and the rest his own.

NolaRabbit

Forum Crew Member
I went over 7 years before delivering my first, and then my partner and I had two more over the space of the next six months. Crazy.

The first was a full-term healthy girl, and the other two were preemies. We coded the second and the ER pronounced. The third one delivered as we pulled up on the ramp and made it up to L&D, don't know the outcome.

Folks that have worked here a long time say that back in the 80s, everyone had their kids in the ambulance or on scene. Some of the old timers have 20-30 deliveries under their belt with plenty of namesakes running around.

For some reason it's gotten de rigueur around these parts again. No idea why.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
18 so far.. two breech and many premies...

R/r 911

NESDMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
I haven't yet in 19 years although I came close once, she delivered 8 min after getting to the hospital ER.

Gbro

Forum Lieutenant
I Held the door open for my wife to take those calls. She delivered 2.
I got to catch one in the restroom of an ER when the mom was there for abdominal pain, not knowing she was pregnant.
"It was a come quick something is wrong...."

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I work with a guy that is a baby magnet. He has been an EMT for 18 years or so and has assisted with a number somewhere in the teens.