AutoVent in EMS

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
I was wondering if anyone has used and can provide their experiences using an autovent in an EMS setting. In IFT vents are used frequently and settings generally match hospital/respiratory settings. What about EMS?

In my volunteer department, we carry the AutoVent 3000. They are very easy to train on and very easy use. The problem that we frequently have is that when we attempt to use it, many ALS providers do not have any idea what they are or how to use them. This leads to them not being used and sticking with a traditional BVM when ventilating a intubated patient.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
One of my rural 911 services carried them and I used them frequently. Beats bagging a patient for 45 minutes. Especially when you can't get any extra help for transport.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
We carry the AutoVent 4000. We should be using it every time we RSI, but I'll admit there have been several times where I didn't expect to RSI and never grabbed it off my truck before initiating transport. It works great for our short term ventilation needs. IFT services or CCT cars really need units with different vent settings and modes than what the AutoVent offers from what I understand, but for our completely sedated and paralyzed intubated population for <30 minute use most of the time it does okay.

I've never used the CPAP option on it, but since it's demand driven only it seems like it would be a little psychologically difficult for a patient to accept. It was our backup CPAP when each truck carried one CPAP OS, but we now switched to every set of our gear having a disposable Pulmodyne CPAP set up, so I don't see myself ever using the AutoVent for CPAP.

OP
OP
ZombieEMT

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
My IFT/911 company uses vents with more advanced settings but never in an EMS setting.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've never used the Autovent... but I know two things about it. It's better than bagging for 45 minutes and it's better than nothing. If the circuits are compatible, why not use an Autovent for going from scene to the ambulance where you have a more capable vent on hand? (Hopefully....)

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
In my opinion, the Autovent series is crap. Get real transport vents like an OxyLog, Impact or LTV.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Considering the AutoVent's intended purpose, I think it does the job just fine. If it's only used as a replacement for a BVM (and that's all that it should be used for), it probably provides an actual benefit to the patient.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
In my opinion, the Autovent series is crap. Get real transport vents like an OxyLog, Impact or LTV.

We had an LTV1200 for critical care and IFT but they're expensive to put on every truck. The auto-vent did just fine for 911 purposes